UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Question for Big Green Egg Owners/Enthusiasts

3/28/09 2:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cycklops
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm interested in going to an eggfest. I've looked on the BGE website and only really shows the major fests. I live relatively close to Phoenix and would be interested in anything that may be held in that area.

Does anyone have any info on maybe a smaller eggfest in western/southern AZ?

From what I understand you can pick up some pretty good deals at one of these.

Thanks
3/29/09 1:21 AM
chadk
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Go to www.biggreenegg.com they usually post eggfest information on there. You wont regret buying one. Mine is one of the best purchases I've ever made. One of my friends bought one after eating off mine for a summer and he loves his too. Another friend is thinking about using his tax return to get one.
3/29/09 2:46 AM
cycklops
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yea, I've had one for just over a year now. I'm interested in picking up another one, just at a cheaper price. Even more importantly, I'm just kinda interested in this whole sub-culture.
3/30/09 6:26 AM
Ozzimandias
97 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

love my egg!
3/30/09 5:45 PM
d0mm3r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

chadk - Go to www.biggreenegg.com they usually post eggfest information on there. You wont regret buying one. Mine is one of the best purchases I've ever made.

THIS
3/30/09 7:40 PM
cycklops

Edited: 03/30/09 7:42 PM
Here's another question for egg owners. I get the coals going where I want them. I'm gonna smoke something. I get the smoking chips soaked like they're supposed to be and then put them on the coals. It creates a lot of smoke, as it's supposed to however, if you're smoking something for a few hours, what's the easiest way to add more smoking chips? The smoke seems to taper out after a bit.

Usually I'm using the plate setter so that leaves little room to just kinda add some on the outside. Is there some technique I can use that I may not be aware of?

3/30/09 8:56 PM
d0mm3r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Instead of chips try to find chunks, they last way longer than chips - I know Lowe's sells them if you don't have a dedicated BBQ store nearby.
3/30/09 9:17 PM
cycklops

Never thought of that. I don't know that I've ever seen "alder chunks" or "oak chunks" etc. Do you soak them like you do the chips? If so, do they burn like the chips, albeit, slower? So just get your coals going like usual and then put a few chunks on top?
3/31/09 5:01 PM
CR1chard
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cycklops - Never thought of that. I don't know that I've ever seen "alder chunks" or "oak chunks" etc. Do you soak them like you do the chips? If so, do they burn like the chips, albeit, slower? So just get your coals going like usual and then put a few chunks on top?

yes, yes, and yes

http://www.char-wood.com is a good source for wood
3/31/09 5:19 PM
cycklops

nice thanks. So if you're just using those chunks a few at a time I imagine they're gonna last forever, no?
3/31/09 6:23 PM
crescentwrench
308 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They last a while.  And soaking them is up to you.  I never would soak chunks, the water only penetrates barely past the surface, and that evaporates out in the first few minutes I'd imagine.  

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.