UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Guitar cords?! Help?

3/29/09 12:43 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rawbass
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What I am asking is if you play the guitar or bass or actually any instrument that is plugged into an amplifier. Can you suggest a cord that is dependable?

I own about 15 cords and tried them all out today, and the results were NOT good. Only 3 of my cords are dependable.

10 of the cords are useless and the other 2 cause a loud popping sound If I move at all(makes them pretty much useless also.) I'm not tough on these cords. I don't play live very often. I generally just use these cords to practice with. Any help is appreciated!
3/29/09 8:19 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are you folding, bending or walking on them?
When you wrap them you should roll elbow to hand. Are the heads clean?
3/29/09 7:51 PM
whtblt4eva
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ends

i only use Mogami cords. they are awesome and usually about $40 retail, but i buy mine whenever Guitar Center has them in their clearance for $10.
3/31/09 12:00 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It sounds like your cables are being damaged by rolling too tight or other physical damage.

Consider Quantum or Spectraflex cables with bonded cloth jacketing over the rubber insulation. It reduces twisting and as such reduces breakdown of the shielding. They are also quiet cables to begin with.
3/31/09 5:57 PM
BarkLikeADog

^Also learn how to wrap over/under. I'm sure there's a youtube.

& it's also possible one of your jacks is fucked. 1/4" / 1/8" connectors are the absolute worst design out of all the standard connectors. On the jack end there's just a flimsy piece of springy metal pushing into that notch that eventually fails.
4/2/09 2:25 PM
DaveM
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.lavacable.com
5/2/09 8:16 PM
Rawbass

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess my problem is probably the fact the when I practice, I'm probably not being careful enough around the chairs legs or anything else between my instrument and the amp.

I do have one cord that has lasted years and it's been through a ton of abuse, it's my Feder cord that I received my my fender strat. I guess I need to spend the money on some higher end cords and being a little more careful.

I will check out the Mogami cords.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.