UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> GPA and law school

3/29/09 12:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
roc311
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hello everyone I'm interested in practicing law specifically real estate or patent laws. My problem is I've been out of school for almost 5 years and plus my GPA was not spectacular.

My only options are to go back to community college and raise my GPA to something respectable and then apply to law schools. My question is if I do this, will this screw my chances because the law schools that I apply to will see that my GPA sucked and then all the sudden shot back up with community college. Let me know fellas.
3/29/09 5:19 PM
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Your best option is to do well on the LSAT.
3/29/09 11:31 PM
Xtina

what subject was your undergrad degree in?
3/30/09 12:55 PM
goku

i dont think law schools look at specific classes...they look at overall grade for ranking purposes, so your plan sounds good to me...
3/30/09 12:56 PM
Lymond
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My undergrad gpa was <2.5 and I'm at a decent, but definitely not top, law school. Just make sure you can do really well on the LSAT and you should be fine unless you're hoping for Harvard or something.
3/30/09 1:25 PM
TheKidAintMine
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

roc311 - Hello everyone I'm interested in practicing law specifically real estate or patent laws.

Those are 2 very different areas of the law. What's your undergrad degree in? If it's not a technical area (ie: engineering, science), you're going to have a very difficult time finding an IP firm to hire you to do patent work.
3/30/09 9:31 PM
roc311

Sorry fellas for the late reply, I have a BS in IT. TTT
4/1/09 9:49 PM
rocklos
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TheKidAintMine - 
roc311 - Hello everyone I'm interested in practicing law specifically real estate or patent laws.

Those are 2 very different areas of the law. What's your undergrad degree in? If it's not a technical area (ie: engineering, science), you're going to have a very difficult time finding an IP firm to hire you to do patent work.

If you don't have a technical background would you suggest scrapping the IP idea??
4/6/09 2:35 PM
Dcastillo
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a 2.5 GPA and ive been teabagging LSAT practice tests. u guys made me happy.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.