UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Convert tape to CD?

4/1/09 11:14 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Lucas Maximus
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone know how I can take some of my tapes and record them onto CD?

Thanks in advance  }:-)

4/3/09 1:45 PM
Steve Perry
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use a program called Cakewalk
4/3/09 3:16 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks!

Depends on how much you want to spend and how much you want to fuck around with it. You can record straight to your soundcard into cakewalk or a similar program, you can get a stand alone stereo that tranfers lps and tapes to cd starting around $200, ...if you want it to sound good you can always buy it again on CD.
4/3/09 7:51 PM
Lucas Maximus
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have tapes that are unavailable on CD (they're lectures).  I would love to get them onto my IPOD and cd's for my car.  I'll check out Cakewalk.  I guess that's for PC - what about Mac (I have both)?  Thanks for the help  }:-)
4/4/09 8:43 AM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No, thank you!
I'm not too up on mac programs these days, cakewalk is for PC. There's a lot of options, Soundforge might be a little easier to use, Audacity is free and can be used on both platforms.
4/4/09 10:02 AM
Lucas Maximus

OK, so now I know what program to use.  How to I connect a tape deck to the computer - do I get a special one from the shop?
4/4/09 4:49 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I haven't used MusicMatch in a while, but at the time it was free, it was a better mp3 ripper than itunes, & it had a realtime audio capture with a silence sensor that worked great for ripping tape & vinyl to MP3.

You'll need a 1/4" stereo miniplug to RCA stereo adapter to go from any deck to any soundcard's line in port. You may need to fidget with you audio mixer settings from the PC control panel. Be aware that many soundcards are prone to pick up all sorts of noise from extended runs of unshielded cable, so keep it as short as possible.

cakewalk is a multitrack editor like protools & is way more than you need for this job.
4/4/09 5:21 PM
BarkLikeADog

Another program you might consider is Exact Audio Copy with the LAME encoder; it's another CD ripper with a realtime audio recorder. A lot of audio snobs swear it's the best re: fidelity.

Which is kinda silly going from cassette to MP3 IMO but whatever.
4/8/09 10:38 PM
CATMAN 007

Here's what I did several years ago, as I had got ahold of a local musicians box of live recording's and wanted them on CD.
I went to Best Buy and bought a componet CD burner that was made as a stand alone unit, or as part of a home stereo system. It had auxiliary inputs, so presto, the casette deck was connected, it had line level inputs, etc. All you had to do was decide where to start the next track and pause the tape.

Just another option.
4/10/09 7:54 PM
Lucas Maximus

interesting... thanks for your input  }:-)

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.