UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> Getting a Patterdale Terrier

4/3/09 12:00 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HuntingtonPUNK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/03/09 12:08 AM

I've owned APBT's for over 15yrs, some of the best bred to be had and have had a few Champions of my own but times have changed, have a family now, small kids and as of now dont own any APBT's

Getting a Patterdale pup, picking up this weekend probablyalways loved these gamedogs, their like Jack Russels with a pair of balls. These are gamedog, the world best underground hunters. I've owned a few before and had some gnar hunts with themcant wait, these dogs are high strung for the most part but docile in the house for some reason. Make great inside dogs, easy to train and smart as fk.

anyone else own any?

"have basement will travel, im a Rat killing machine"

im whats called a Black smooth coated fell terrier, or Patterdale terrier. consider me a Jack Russell with balls or a Pocket Pit Bull. At 12 lbs, im able to demolish animals 2 and 3 times my size. And my great Grandsire made a name Pulling Badgers out of the ground, hence my attitude.

I am not a show breed dog, we are breed for a purpose, and everyone in my family comes from hard working stock, breed best to best....as we say in our world the "form follows the function" for which your breed.

with that said I enter the ground and stay till dug to...regardless of what I encounter. Im Like an earth torpedo...whatever is down there watch out! I like to do other shit as well, I love humping other dogs regardless of sex, My Favorites are larger dogs or dogs, Like Pit Bulls and Rotties.

Im not your normal Terrier, no no, Im as game as fighting cock, with the hunting instinct of a panther, a tad stubborn I admit, simply because I rather kill a racoon then listen to my owner (Patterdale)
4/3/09 1:57 PM
MikeZev
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

givin up on the bullies huh? the bitch you pts leave a bad taste in your mouth or just thinkin about the kids?

i dont know much about patterdales, how are they with kids? i read a lot of gamedog people are switching over.

unfortunately, i've seen some popping up in rescues too. the only good thing i see is the rescues that have them (2-3) will not adopt to a home with other animals. rules out a lot of good owners but i guess better safe than sorry.
4/3/09 7:02 PM
HuntingtonPUNK

I've owned a few before but just want away from APBT's, not a particular reason. Hunting legal is always nice also, thats my main attraction to the breed, their mellow inside for the most part from what I've seen.

I'd never guess any would be in shelters, most people still have never heard of them.
4/6/09 10:59 AM
MikeZev
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

theres not a ton in shelters. i'd imagine that most shelters wouldnt even know if they had one. the ones i've seen in rescues have bee through people involved with apbt rescue.
4/7/09 6:28 PM
HuntingtonPUNK

picking a female pup up tomorrow, inbred on Grip.
4/16/09 10:31 PM
wrestlerguy04
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hows the puppy?
4/19/09 8:41 PM
HuntingtonPUNK

she's cool, picked her up at 8wks, been here 1 week now.

Temperment is typical of the breed, loves to be inside, sleep on laps and goes nuts outside. Her teeth are insane, her hangers are shaped like hooks, friends cant believe how crazy her teeth look.

she's really cute, everyone likes her and she's super friendly, doesnt bark much, sleeps in her crate without protest, only went bathroom in the house once so far and not once sleeping in her crate, she's seems smart

a few of our friends who have never heard of the breed are interested in getting one after being around her

I'll send pics to someone to post if they leave their email address
4/26/09 10:14 AM
croaker
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You know more than I. I've asked about these dogs before, and what I get is that they are seriously prey driven on the hunt, but have a hard time knowing when to back off other dogs.

I asked on a dog hunting board about them, and got a lot of replies about people who had them, but ended up losing them to other dogs (rott's, ADT's, etc). They also tended to attack each other or their pack mates when excited.

They sound interesting. hope that you get a good one.
4/26/09 10:49 PM
HuntingtonPUNK

Edited: 04/26/09 10:51 PM
thats mostly false information you got there. I owned 5 at one time years ago, I'm experienced with them, just havent had any for a while

theyre not fighting dogs, theyre hunting dogs, theirs a huge difference. On hunts, theyre focused on the task at hand, not fighting other dogs, its very rare they scuffle on a hunt and for the most part theyre not dog aggressive but some are, I wouldnt let any live together unsupervised but theyre not fighting dogs

the reason some people call them pocket pits is because theyre game as fk, like pit bulls, not because they fight other dogs

I'm going to Oregon on a hunt in a few weeks, getting a few schooled out working dogs that were bred by Brian Nuttal, I'm not waiting for this one to mature to hunt, going soon.

all legal, love it
5/4/09 10:29 PM
Jay-dog

Every Patterdale I have had the pleasure of coming across has been awesome! Amazingly poweful for their size!!!
7/14/09 11:38 AM
Spankenstyne
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Very cool. I was aware of them but didn`t realize they were a working dog & so game. They sound like a handful which is right up your alley anyways  HP ;)
7/14/09 12:52 PM
MikeZev

i'm going to a weight pull next week and theres a little patterdale that attends a lot. i'll take some pictures if they show up.
8/10/11 12:43 PM
Roy Batty
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Are they happy without getting to hunt as long as they get enough exercise? Do they like playing tug? Fetch?
8/12/11 8:55 AM
MikeFL152
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

working bred patt aint nothin to sneeze at, wouldnt get one unless you're an avid small game hunter. Typical terriers, if they aint working, they're tearin shit up.
6/1/13 10:23 AM
mmanthebay
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HuntingtonPUNK - I've owned APBT's for over 15yrs, some of the best bred to be had and have had a few Champions of my own but times have changed, have a family now, small kids and as of now dont own any APBT's

Getting a Patterdale pup, picking up this weekend probablyalways loved these gamedogs, their like Jack Russels with a pair of balls. These are gamedog, the world best underground hunters. I've owned a few before and had some gnar hunts with themcant wait, these dogs are high strung for the most part but docile in the house for some reason. Make great inside dogs, easy to train and smart as fk.

anyone else own any?

"have basement will travel, im a Rat killing machine"

im whats called a Black smooth coated fell terrier, or Patterdale terrier. consider me a Jack Russell with balls or a Pocket Pit Bull. At 12 lbs, im able to demolish animals 2 and 3 times my size. And my great Grandsire made a name Pulling Badgers out of the ground, hence my attitude.

I am not a show breed dog, we are breed for a purpose, and everyone in my family comes from hard working stock, breed best to best....as we say in our world the "form follows the function" for which your breed.

with that said I enter the ground and stay till dug to...regardless of what I encounter. Im Like an earth torpedo...whatever is down there watch out! I like to do other shit as well, I love humping other dogs regardless of sex, My Favorites are larger dogs or dogs, Like Pit Bulls and Rotties.

Im not your normal Terrier, no no, Im as game as fighting cock, with the hunting instinct of a panther, a tad stubborn I admit, simply because I rather kill a racoon then listen to my owner (Patterdale)

Ive owned patterdales for about 10 years. My terriers have mostly come from Reuvers and Rabers dogs. We've also mixed them with some tough Irish imports. Do you still own terriers? I remember you from the old rollbar and vicegrip bulldog forums.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.