UnderGround Forums

Kickboxing UnderGround >> Fighting southpaw in Muay Thai - suggestions?

4/3/09 4:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Panthero
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am an orthodox fighting a southpaw in muay Thai. This will be my first fight against a southpaw. I've sparred against southpaws in training, and one of the things that frustrates me is the lack of the use of my right low kick. Could anyone please suggest some combinations/techniques that generally work well against a southpaw? Much appreciated.
4/3/09 10:00 AM
Ryukyu Damashi
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Why can't you use you right low kick?

Straight rights, right kicks, right straight knees work well if you get your lead foot to the outside of their lead foot.
4/4/09 6:54 AM
Normal MT
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/04/09 6:26 PM
Ryukyu Damashi - Why can't you use you right low kick?

Straight rights, right kicks, right straight knees work well if you get your lead foot to the outside of their lead foot.
That's what I would advise also to step to the outside of the lead leg. Although just when you think you have the answer, somebody throws you a curve.
Last month I was training Spencer Fisher at his new Gym, for his fight with Cael Uno, he's a Southpaw and I reiterated my "theory" he told me that he actually fights with his Power side forward (Orthodox fighting as a Lefty).
Youtube has a fight of him (sorry, it was Kyle Watson), it last 10-20 seconds, dude steps outside Spencers lead leg, walks right into a straight Jab, Cross. First punch pretty much finished him.
I gave him shit because now I have to re-think my whole "fighting a lefty" strategy.
I asked him how he got such heavy hands, and he said he's just always had. He used to Box before MMA too. 
http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=2329057960744770616&hl=en&fs=true 
4/4/09 3:42 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stepping outside his lead leg is a very important part of this strategy, but it's not the "magic bullet" on how to beat southpaws. You definately need to circle the opposite way at times.

4/12/09 10:44 PM
ryangruhn
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

_____Lion Heart Fitness & MMA_____, Head Instructor
 Staying to the outside, cut kick the snot out of him, . . .
4/13/09 12:14 AM
Bryan72
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Along with the lead foot outside, try keeping your lead hand outside of his lead hand. That way you can catch his jab easier, land your jab easier, and can also parry his hand aside and work around him.

Bull_in_chinashop hit on a good point, too. I've found that some well timed movement to my right helps things out. Well timed as in not stepping or turning into their left sided weapons.
4/13/09 11:25 AM
ryangruhn
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lead side overhook and same side neck tie do wonders as well in clinch.
4/13/09 2:32 PM
WizzleTeatsv2
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Also, use your lead roundhouse kick to his lead leg to keep him from circling to your left. With some practice you can throw the kick without switching your stance. Combined with a good jab and the other advice given above you can really throw his game plan off.
4/13/09 4:21 PM
Bull_in_chinashop
134 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bryan72 - Along with the lead foot outside, try keeping your lead hand outside of his lead hand. That way you can catch his jab easier, land your jab easier, and can also parry his hand aside and work around him.

Bull_in_chinashop hit on a good point, too. I've found that some well timed movement to my right helps things out. Well timed as in not stepping or turning into their left sided weapons.
exactly. It's really more of a lateral step to your right than cirling into them, but it's timing and countering with this motion that makes it important.

4/14/09 12:20 AM
ryangruhn

Edited: 04/14/09 12:20 AM
 Make sure your partner is wearing goggles if you're doing roundhouse kicks. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.