UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> WTF is a "V" sign? Ferguson, McGregor

4/3/09 9:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Yougottawanna
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor have been banned from ever representing Scotland again after their bench antics against Iceland in midweek.

Barry Ferguson

JeffJMitchell/GettyImages

Former glories: Ferguson used to be key

The pair were caught on camera making childish "V signs" across their faces at television cameras. They had been dropped for the Iceland World Cup qualifier after breaking squad discipline and spending the night drinking.

A furious Rangers manager Walter Smith sent the pair home from training on Friday and they were suspended by the Scottish giants without pay. Ferguson has also been stripped of the Rangers captaincy."

None of the articles explain what the problem is. I saw pictures and their fingers are like a backwards peace sign. Is this some kind of problem?
4/4/09 8:45 PM
BaldTony
262 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

V is English for fuck off
4/5/09 8:47 AM
Shotgun Mick

= 
4/6/09 3:57 PM
Yougottawanna

Damn that seems kind of harsh, banned for life for that.
4/6/09 4:41 PM
Pinback
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn...
4/7/09 10:38 AM
Joe Ray

Edited: 04/07/09 10:46 AM
Yes it means "Fuck You". 

MacGregor was also giving a single finger salute.
4/7/09 10:40 AM
Joe Ray

I first heard about this on the BBC 24 hour news.

They warned viewers of the "very offensive pictures that they may want to look away from".
4/9/09 8:45 PM
Mentaljim
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PETER MARTIN: Sorry doesn’t have to be the hardest word, lads...

"MY message to Barry Ferguson and Allan MacGregor on their return to Rangers next week is this: Get your backsides into Walter Smith's office and apologise for acting like spoilt brats.

There are a number of highly-paid footballers in Scotland who believe their fortune generates a protective shield that allows them to do whatever they like and to hell with the consequences.

As we are drip-fed more and more tales of buffoonery from Cameron House, Hampden and now Murray Park, I can't help but feel Barry Ferguson and Allan McGregor have a death wish for their careers.

No respect for the national manager, the fans and now their club manager all in the space of 12 days. The latest revelations in yesterday's Evening Times, that they showed contempt to Walter Smith and no sign of remorse on their return to Rangers training ground, beggars belief.
advertisement

I hope for their sakes that an act of contrition is on the way when they return from suspension. If not, it's goodbye and good luck.

If Barry and Allan can take it upon themselves to seek out their manager and show they are genuinely sorry for their actions and attitude, there is a small chance of a way back into the team before the summer. That's all.

It's my belief that the Ibrox club were going to punt Barry, McGregor and Boyd at the end of the season anyway.

For me, it is sad that Ferguson will leave in these circumstances. All the good work he did on and off the field has been cast aside with his mad antics after the Holland game and beyond.

I won't hide the fact that over the last few years I have become friendly with Barry and enjoyed his company.

The last time I spoke with him was the day before the Iceland game. He must have known that there was a storm brewing, but maybe he thought it would all blow over.

He never cracked a light to me about the bevvy session at Cameron House and muck racking is not my bag anyway.

He did however, say in my interview with him that he was aware of his responsibilities as captain of Rangers and Scotland.

That sentence came back to haunt him 24 hours later.

I thought George Burley should have booted Fergie and McGregor out of the squad before the match for their lack of professionalism on the Sunday morning at the hotel...regardless of threats of a walk-out from other persons involved in the booze-up.

Midway through the game, I was then made aware by my friends taking pictures that Barry and his sidekick had completely lost the plot with their two-fingered salute.

I never thought for one minute that this would eventually result in both players' careers coming to an end for club and country.

But to continue their devil- may-care attitude with Walter Smith on Friday was surely the last final act of stupidity in this long drawn-out affair.

Let's not feel sorry for both lads financially, because they are not destitute. Barry could stop playing tomorrow and never want again in his life.

In the current economic climate, their actions have probably exacerbated the anger towards them from the ordinary fans struggling to make ends meet. We will hear today, the final declaration of their guilt from the bungling brothers.

Messrs Smith and Burley will tell us the facts about what really happened on the banks of Loch Lomond, but will they explain how a closed case, according to manager and chief executive, was suddenly re-opened by the president?

Can they tell the two players why they had already meted out life bans before the investigation and without even a call to both parties to hear their defence, no matter how flimsy it may have been.

The Ibrox club's stance has been viewed as harsh in some quarters, but I can now see why Walter Smith is so determined never to play both players again unless an apology is forthcoming.

Barry's a good lad and we all make mistakes, I hope the fact Rangers' inability to afford his wages in the future is not clouding his judgement on backing down in this stand-off.

It would be a terrible way to bring the curtain down on his career."

This pretty much explains everything.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2500962.0.peter_martin_sorry_doesnt_have_to_be_the_hardest_word_lads.php

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.