UnderGround Forums

PhotoshopGround >> Digital SLR cameras

4/6/09 2:54 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
killthetraitor
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Interested in getting one. Not going to need it for making large prints so very high megapixel count is not necessary. Also dont want to spend a fortune. Any ideas?
4/6/09 2:56 PM
Gemini2281
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a Canon Digital Rebel, the original 6.3MP version, that does everything I need it to do.  I am not into really high level photography, mainly family gatherings, some sports, some wildlife stuff, etc.  It seems like a solid camera and you can pick them up on ebay for a really decent price these days.
4/6/09 2:59 PM
killthetraitor
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sweet I will definitely check it out.
4/6/09 4:22 PM
e. kaye

Mug a Japanese tourist.
4/6/09 4:24 PM
AGSa

Gemini2281 - I have a Canon Digital Rebel, the original 6.3MP version, that does everything I need it to do.  I am not into really high level photography, mainly family gatherings, some sports, some wildlife stuff, etc.  It seems like a solid camera and you can pick them up on ebay for a really decent price these days.

Me too. I have shot around 6500 photos with it. Excellent camera. I have the extended grip/battery pack, too. Makes it feel much better in hand.

Also, get the firmware hack. Unlocks a lot of hidden potential in the camera.
4/6/09 5:18 PM
MikeZev
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nikon d40
4/6/09 5:25 PM
Gemini2281

MikeZev - nikon d40

Another excellent camera.  A friend of mine has one and I actually prefer it to my Canon.
4/6/09 5:33 PM
d0mm3r

MikeZev - nikon d40

Check slickdeals.net theres an amazing price on a kit right now.
4/6/09 5:36 PM
Ant C
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got a Canon 400D - called the Rebel in the US I think.

Good value and allows you to spend more on lenses, which are the expensive part. The kit lens is not anything special but good enough to learn the basics. The 50mm ES-62 lens is cheap and good for portraits.

Next I want to get a wide angle lens and a macro lens but that's when they start getting expensive.
4/6/09 5:59 PM
Tapped Out Again
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The 4 best cameras for first time DSLR buyers are these, as of today:

* Sony alpha 350: High megapixel count, a ton of features, video and tilt screen. Actual resolution so-so, low light capture so so.

* Olympus E-420/520: Smallest and lightest DSLRs on the market. Average feature sets, low light capture so so. 520 has image stabilization in camera. 420 is $300 cheaper than competitors. Lens selection not as good as rest for upgrades.

* Nikon D90: Great image quality. Good feature sets. Most expensive of the 4.

* Canon Rebel XSi (450D). Great image quality, great low light. Image stabilization in the kit lens. Slower focus in some situations, otherwise great.

You might also consider the Lumix G1, it's a DSLR with out the 'SLR' part. I.e. it doesn't have that reflex mirror, so no viewfinder, just LCD screen. Super compact though.

TOA
4/6/09 6:04 PM
Tapped Out Again
31 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Btw for detailed(more than you could possibly want to know) reviews, go to dpreview.com.

The cameras above are $500-$900 range. I would not pay any more or any less for a first camera for someone who's semi-serious about future use.
4/6/09 6:30 PM
notsobigmike
56 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a longtime Nikon user myself, so I'm a bit biased, but I like the D50. Not too expensive, versatile, and easy to use.

If you're new to photography, the Canon Rebel is kind of the standard student's camera and is great starting off point. Good bang for the buck.

If you're thinking longterm at all, the thing to keep in mind is that when you pick a body, you're also picking a lens system. This means you want to pick a brand that is known for making good lenses, not just electronics.

IMO, Nikon makes better lenses than Canon, but again, I'm a longtime user, so you tend to go with what you know.

I would typically avoid brands that don't have a strong photographic legacy (ie Sony, Olympus, etc.)

Check ebay and your local camera shop. You can get some good deals on used equipment and the good stuff usually holds up really well. I have an old Nikon F1 film camera from around 1980 that has taken thousands upon thousands of exposures and it still works like a champ.
4/6/09 7:17 PM
tetris
268 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got an olympus e500 and I love it. If I were in the market today I'd look at the D40 from Nikon only because of the lens selection. But in the end all DSLR's are amazing compared to point and click.
5/1/09 1:55 PM
liquifaction
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

my 2 geek friends have Nikon D90 and say they are great
5/1/09 2:22 PM
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm rocking the XSi and think it's a pretty sweet camera. Might be a little pricier than a couple other options, but my only complaint is where they put the stupid button to change aperture in manual mode. If only I could remap it....

I'm only 1500 shots into it, but it hasn't given me any problems so far.
5/1/09 2:39 PM
Pig Bun
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have had hte D60 for nearly a year now - LOVE it!
5/1/09 3:15 PM
fanoffights

I have been noticing a lot of people using the Nikon DSLR's. Not sure why, preference, can use older lenses with them, cheaper or just plain better bang for the buck. They seem to love them. If I was to purchase one right now I would go with a Canon but if money was an issue then I certainly wouldn't hesitate on purchasing a Nikon.
5/1/09 3:53 PM
Rolamos
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just got the nikon D80 and I totally love it
5/1/09 5:05 PM
Atomic
110 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best Buy often runs specials with the D60's, with an additional 200mm lense. I have the D60 and I love it. I have an N80 as well and I've always been a fan of the Nikons.
5/1/09 5:55 PM
arclight

Digital Rebel, latest version, or you can go one generation back and get a used Canon 40D.

Canon and Nikon both make good rigs, I just like canon lens options better between Canon's stuff and third parties.
5/16/09 6:14 AM
arclight

Not a fan of full frame to be honest...then again I shoot ringside photo so I like a bit of extra zoom.

Also the price jump to go 5D would be ridiculous for his purposes. Not worth the money since he would already be taking just fine high res photos with the 40D.

"Canon 40d was one of the worst yet"

This is a curious comment given that I have yet to see a review of the 40D that would support a "one of the worst yet" conclusion.

http://photo.net/equipment/canon/40D/
"The crop sensor combined with state-of-the-art systems makes the Canon 40D the best digital SLR body for budget-conscious wildlife photographers. Adding the 6.5 frames per second capture rate makes the 40D the best digital SLR body for sports photographers who don't want to buy the Canon EOS 1D Mark III, $3845 (review). "

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos40d/page29.asp
"When I first started using the EOS 40D a simple description came to mind: that this is a 'well sorted camera'. It feels well rounded - the result of years of evolutionary improvement, it delivers in almost every area, and it inspires confidence. From a usability point of view the viewfinder feels larger, ergonomics are good, the user interface is clear and easy to learn, there are no in-use performance issues, metering and auto-focus show good consistency and the results speak for themselves; colorful (yet accurate) detailed images with low noise even at high sensitivities."

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_40D/verdict.shtml
"Ultimately the EOS 40D is a superb DSLR which confidently earns our Highly Recommended rating "
5/16/09 11:31 AM
Steamfitter

for what you need get a canon g10 and forget about a dslr. it is more than you need for a camera and when you buy a dslr you end up spending a shit load of dollars in accessories. you cant put a dslr in your pocket and when it rains you wont want to take it out of its case.
5/16/09 12:34 PM
pooter

You will always get a lot of opinions with a question like that, and many of the answers will come from people that have no experience other then with a single model. While there seem to be some educated folks on this particular thread.. a lot of it will still be based on bias.

I am a Canon fan myself.. have had several different canon dslr's and love em. I honestly feel Canon is the best in certain areas - but I think Nikon gets the nod in others.

One thing is hard to argue without bias though, is that you can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon.

Not knowing a budget range and how serious you are about photography, it is hard to recommend a specific model - but do your homework and pic the comparable models of Canon and Nikon that best suit you - then go to a camera shop and play with both. See which fits your hands better, and which features and functions you personally prefer - then get that camera.

With Canon and Nikon - you have an excellent selection of lenses, flashes and accessories that you don't always have with the other brands - plus both are consistently leading the markets in technological advancements.

Once you get it - read the manual - then read it again, go take lots of pics.. then read the manual again. Repeat and enjoy.
5/16/09 1:31 PM
leglockfan
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've got a Canon XSi that I use a bunch and I honestly wouldn't go back to a point and shoot piece of shit ever again in my life... they are really nice and it is pretty easy to get good quality pictures
5/16/09 4:34 PM
arclight

"btw the 40d is shit. get a used 5d."

Sure, if you can substantiate your claim that the 40D is shit.

"If you're not getting a full frame sensor, you're ignorant if you take your photography seriously."

1. you miss my point, which also extends to the OP who was asking for what to buy, a question not attached to unlimited budget btw, which is that I know enough about what I do to know I don't need full frame. AT ALL. I am neither a photo snob nor delivering something in raw for high-res print publication.

I have access to a 1DS MKII if I want it, anytime (ex-GF's spare she keeps with my gear here at my place). I don't need it. Too much gun for the job. This is the point you miss - try recommending something that fits the OP's needs and constraints rather than trying to rah rah your particular fave even though it is both way out of budget for the OP AND way more than he needs or is looking for. The gain in practical value for his purposes, traded off against the increase in money he would pay, makes the 5D and even an unused full-price NIB 40D questionable values.

2. your tone sounds more like attitude or snobbery than it does substantiated opinion. Again, if you can corroborate that the 40D "is shit" please do so. I would be happy to read and acknowledge reviews that not only say that the 40D is something akin to "shit" but also bad enough to where it is not a good enough camera for the OP's needs or budget.

...and look at leglockfan's post. Not everyone needs to spend in the $2000 range for a damn camera body in this economy, to satisfy what they need.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.