UnderGround Forums

SurvivalGround >> WHole House Generators

4/13/09 4:13 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
CptCrunch
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I live in the country and my electric goes out few times a year. The worst was for a 5 day stretch a few years ago during a christmas ice storm. Also, with the grid being hacked last week, i am concerned. Anyway, can anyone give advice on what are good brands to go with?

My whole house is electric, so when no electric, no water...with a little baby I need to keep things going (water, fridge, heating etc.)

I have called a couple of local electric contractors and realize the price is high but they are all want to sell me their "brands".
4/14/09 3:47 PM
Todd22

Actually I think a propane Generator is ALOT cheaper than solar or wind... People who live out in the country where I live do this... I dont know of any certain brands but from what I hear propane is the way to go.
4/14/09 4:38 PM
Cha0s008
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree. The propane route is the way to go.
4/15/09 12:28 PM
johnnypayne
57 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Diesel is the only option for whole house generation IMO
4/16/09 12:28 AM
CptCrunch

I appreciate the ideas. I have been researching propane and it is a good option because the fuel storage can last quite a long time. Wind and/or solar would be a great option and could help pay for itself, but it looks like the conversion is very expensive. Plus I live in the woods and get very little wind and limited sun on the house. Had not considered diesel. I will do some research on that next.
4/16/09 2:59 PM
Team Cup
83 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would go with Diesel too if solar/wind/geothermal is not an option...

Diesel generators have less parts, therefore easier to repair, maintain, etc...

Also, in a worst case scenario, you could in theory produce your own biodiesel fuel.
4/23/09 7:49 AM
Joe Maffei
32 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cptcrunch

There is no one Gen better then the other see how much power you will need to power up your basic needs for your home and then get it hard wired directly into your panel box. Propane, diesel, gas, they are all the same. What ever is the easiest fuel for you to get is the one you want.

I have a gas Gen, but don't depend on it? you need 3 or 4 different sources of energy to be safe. In NE last year we had a really bad ice storm and my phone was ringing off the hook for help.

Most don't realize they have no clue until they realize they have no clue? Go figure?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.