UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> uncontested divorce

4/13/09 9:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MikeD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unfortunately my wife of 7.5 years and I are getting a divorce.

I think we can agree to terms on everything. We don't have kids or many assets, so we essentially agreed to just split liquid assets.

I'd rather just avoid legal fees at this point. Is there not anything we can fill out in TN to avoid getting a lawyer? I was trying to read online and I couldn't find anything about how to handle this yourself. All I could really find is that there is a 60 day wait period if you don't have kids, which we don't.

The only thing I have a slight issue with is the house, which is a unique circumstance itself. We purchased it through the HUD Good Neighbor program which offers homes at half price to cops, firemen, and teachers. You get it half off if you live in it for three years. We've been there a year. She (teacher) was the person that qualified. Now, she's been paying the mortgage ($292/mo.), but I contributed at least half of the downpayment and initial upgrades (~$10K). That's a lot of money I'll never get back, but she will.

Not really sure I have any case with that though. Probably just have to bite the bullet on that one.

Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts/feedback.
4/14/09 11:02 AM
goku

im pretty sure u do not need a lawyer...try looking up the state's legal self-help website..it should cover divorces along with traffic court and smalls claims court etc...
4/14/09 1:05 PM
Bunkou

You don't need a lawyer. You might want one, but that's up to you. Head over to the divorce court. They'll have all the forms you need, and instructions on filling them out.

Also, you should be able to get something out of the house, but that might change your uncontested divorce to a contested one. And then you will need a lawyer.
4/14/09 8:01 PM
GladiatorGannon
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MikeD - Unfortunately my wife of 7.5 years and I are getting a divorce.

I think we can agree to terms on everything. We don't have kids or many assets, so we essentially agreed to just split liquid assets.

I'd rather just avoid legal fees at this point. Is there not anything we can fill out in TN to avoid getting a lawyer? I was trying to read online and I couldn't find anything about how to handle this yourself. All I could really find is that there is a 60 day wait period if you don't have kids, which we don't.

The only thing I have a slight issue with is the house, which is a unique circumstance itself. We purchased it through the HUD Good Neighbor program which offers homes at half price to cops, firemen, and teachers. You get it half off if you live in it for three years. We've been there a year. She (teacher) was the person that qualified. Now, she's been paying the mortgage ($292/mo.), but I contributed at least half of the downpayment and initial upgrades (~$10K). That's a lot of money I'll never get back, but she will.

Not really sure I have any case with that though. Probably just have to bite the bullet on that one.

Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts/feedback.

more info on "good neighbor" program please.
4/14/09 10:18 PM
MikeD

Thanks for responses. She's getting an attorney though her work benefits to file everything. He's $750, which I guess is reasonable. She stated she would put in whatever is filed that when she sells the home she is required to give me $5K, which in all honestly is fair.

GladiatorGannon - more info on "good neighbor" program please.

http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/nsc/gnndserv.cfm
4/14/09 10:39 PM
GladiatorGannon
278 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MikeD - Thanks for responses. She's getting an attorney though her work benefits to file everything. He's $750, which I guess is reasonable. She stated she would put in whatever is filed that when she sells the home she is required to give me $5K, which in all honestly is fair.

GladiatorGannon - more info on "good neighbor" program please.

http://www.hud.gov/offices/hsg/sfh/nsc/gnndserv.cfm

hope everything works out for you, but divorce attorneys tend to put ideas in peoples heads. good luck, and keep us posted.
4/15/09 3:01 AM
BarkLikeADog

She has an attorney & you don't, that can't possibly be a good thing for you. I would get one for no other reason than to ensure you aren't gonna get raped down the road. You can stil DIY & just have him review the other guy's work.
4/18/09 12:50 AM
MikeD

I'm supposed to go sign the papers Monday afternoon. Apparently it's really basic. She states it basically says she gets to keep all household items and I am entitled to $5K when she sells the home. It also states I won't be covered until her health/dental once it's finalized after the 60 day wait period.

Whether this is actually what it says, well, I'll find out Monday, but I would bet on it being accurate.

I guess these terms are fair enough.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.