UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Glock buying questions

4/14/09 9:51 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Willybone
385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/14/09 9:53 AM

My neighbor invited me over for some shooting, and I finally got to try a few Glocks. I have to say, I was very impressed. I've always hated the look of them, but I admit they shot like a dream and the baby (.40) felt awesome both in my hand and concealed. I think I'm in the market for Glock 26 now, as I'd like to make my first semiauto a 9mm.

What do I need to be looking for in a 26 if I'm buying out of the local paper or online? Should I be looking for a particular generation that's better than others? Is there anything I should be checking apart from the usual promises of "like new in box, less than 100 rounds"?
I'm thinking it's going to run me around $500. Is that reasonable, or should I bargain harder?

4/14/09 11:11 AM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Glock is the way to go.

Consider that you can only shoot the weapon the YOU can SHOOT WELL. I have a 26, 19, 17 and a 22.

You do need to shoot the 26. That's my weapon that I carry. It's great. But some people hate it and want the 19.

I would shoot it at a local gun range. Try to have them get one new for just a bit more. It's worth it.

Demi
4/14/09 11:49 AM
Willybone
385 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/14/09 11:51 AM
You do need to shoot the 26. That's my weapon that I carry. It's great. But some people hate it and want the 19.
I shot the 27 at his house. He'd just swapped the barrel out for a 357SIG and we were testing it out.
I also tried the 22 (also with a 357SIG barrel) but I didn't like it nearly as much, as I'm really looking for another CCW gun.
So, if the 26 is the same size as the 27, I'm already sold on the fit.
I carry a .38 snub now, so the short grip felt very normal to me.

Is there more than one generation of G26?

Oh, and to all 1911 fanboys, I'll be picking up one of those later on down the road, when the cost of 45ACP is less likely to break me.

4/14/09 9:48 PM
BEEF & CHEESE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A G26 will be next for me.
4/17/09 8:20 PM
Skpotamus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

From www.glockfaq.com

Safety and function tests.

"We recommend you function check every time you disassemble the pistol to field clean. This way you develop a habit and stick to it, the next question is usually "When do I clean?" It is really personal preference, but we suggest if the weapon is for personnel protection then clean it after a good range evolution. More on that later.

Now, the function check for the Glock. Remember this is done with no live ammunition anywhere close to the pistol, double check always. First, with the weapon still disassembled, hold the slide upside down. Check to make sure the firing pin protrudes forward of the breech face. Next, depress and hold the firing pin safety (small button) on the underside of the slide and gently shake the slide up and down. You should hear the firing pin travel up and down in the firing pin channel. If not, problem one. Get it to a Glock Armorer or clean it up.

Second, reassemble the pistol and lock the slide to the rear. Make sure the slide stop lever engages and holds the slide to the rear. Release the slide however you normally release it. With the weapon pointed in a safe direction, attempt to press the trigger without engaging the trigger safety. It should not release the trigger. If it does, attempt it again or better yet get it to a Glock armorer.

Third, ensure the weapon is clear and safe, with it pointed in a safe direction. Press the trigger and hold it to the rear. Cycle the slide with the weak hand then slowly release pressure on the trigger until the sear re-engages. Again, if this does not work try it again or get it to the armorer. Press the trigger fully to the rear one last time.

Fourth, using the magazines you will carry for personnel protection, down load them so they are EMPTY. Check them again, then fully insert one into the magazine well. Cycle the slide to the rear. The slide should remain locked back. If it does not: check your magazine or replace it.

If the magazines are already downloaded, I can do this in about two minutes or less. A small price to pay for the confidence of a reliable weapon at your side. There are many different ways to accomplish this, but this way is methodical and simple. We have checked all the safeties and mechanical operations of the weapon. After a few practices, it will become second nature. Good luck and stay safe. [Director of Training, The HALO Group]
"

Recoil Spring Test
"To check the recoil spring do the following:
1. Remove magazine
2. Clear the weapon
3. Pull the trigger and hold it back
4. While holding trigger back, tip up the gun so that the muzzle is pointing straight up
5. Keep holding the trigger back while you pull back the slide and ease it forward SLOWLY. When the gun is almost in battery release your grip on the slide and see if it will close by itself.

If the recoil spring is weak the slide will fail to lock closed while the muzzle is pointing up."

I recommend you perform some of the tests above as well as looking the gun over for cracks in the frame, etc. Some people like to modify or tinker with guns and can mess things up. Drop your magazine and rack the slide, if it locks open with no mag, it was disassembled and reassembled wrong, which is about a 30 second fix.

All in all, glocks are pretty hard to mess up, most of the problems come from not cleaning the guns properly (spraying oil where it's not supposed to go) and putting them back together wrong.

From personal experience, I owned a glock 26 that I liked, but found that the edges kinda dug into my palm when shooting long sessions, so I added an extended plug and magazine extensions, which increased the length of the grip to almost glock 19 size, so I ended up going with the glock 19 and sold my 26.
4/18/09 9:40 AM
Willybone

Edited: 04/18/09 9:41 AM
Dude, that is so awesome and helpful. That sounds technical enough to be in-depth, but all stuff that I can easily do, even with my limited exposure.
I'm going to print it out and take it with me when I check anything out.
Thanks a million.

5/7/09 3:09 PM
Dark Knight
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.hk-usa.com/p30_general.html
5/11/09 7:39 PM
mongo54

I carry a glock 30 (duty) and a glock 36 (back-up), thats right 2 .45.  love them both
5/11/09 9:55 PM
Willybone

The market for used G26s is pretty slim around here and the one guy who has one is asking too much for it. I'm still waiting patiently.
5/31/09 4:14 AM
Skpotamus
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mongo, you carry a sub-compact gun for duty? What do you do out of curiosity?

Willybone, you might check around on gunbroker, glocks are usually pretty indestructible and you should be able to get one for pretty cheap on there if you can get a local FFL dealer to do the xfer for you.
6/25/09 9:50 PM
Never Back Down Syndrome

ttt
6/26/09 2:26 PM
mongo54

Chief Investigator, Disrict Attorney, the 30 is compact, the 36 sub-compact
6/26/09 4:36 PM
spider guard
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Get the 30sf. The 36 holds like 6 rounds and IMO the size between the 36 and 30sf is not that big of a difference. The 30 and 30sf are the same size as a 19/23 (although a little bid wider because of the 45acp).
7/11/09 4:19 AM
Skpotamus

sorry, been out of town.... the 30 is a subcompact, the 36 is a slimline (the first and only so far).

I personally didn't like the SF models, for some reason I like the big beefy 30. I haven't gotten ahold of a 21 sf to play with yet.

I've heard of some guys getting a 30 frame and putting a 36 slide on it. I guess to cut down on weight, so it's really not that big of a difference in size (4mm's of width) to lose 4 extra rounds IMO.

To each their own :)
7/12/09 8:08 PM
Dark Knight
316 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 07/13/09 8:21 AM
9/13/09 6:35 PM
mugumuchu

i got Glock 45 last christman. Love it.
i'm looking for my name gun. most likely be a rifle not sure which one yet.

give me suggestion here. price ranges 500-650
1/26/10 3:59 PM
Willybone

Edited: 01/26/10 4:09 PM
Finally found the bargain I was looking for.
G26, honestly can't tell if it's ever been fired, extra clip, pinky extension, and freaking new night sights.
$450.
It's a cliche, but I can't wait to get to the range.

1/26/10 8:33 PM
Dark Knight

Cool
1/27/10 10:25 AM
paw
1357 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

congrats!
1/27/10 10:45 AM
Willybone

I am frickin' AMPED.
I feel like I got a killer deal. I really can't find a single sign of use. The barrel is clean enough to drink through and the night sights are bright.
Even so, I ran through all of Skpotamus' check points, just so I'd look like a pro. "One sec, I'm checking out the sear engagement." The guys at the shop humored me and did not laugh.

I got a Cobra Skin IWB with it. It's bulkier and prints more than my snubby does, but because it's flat it's actually more comfortable. Next up is an ankle rig, because that's what I'm most comfortable with, really.
1/27/10 4:29 PM
rjbo71

Willybone where did you shop?
1/27/10 7:59 PM
Willybone

Edited: 01/27/10 7:59 PM
CT Gun Exchange in Monroe. It's on 111.
Normally, I'm totally faithful to North Atlantic Sportsman on 25. Joe is an awesome guy and has always cut me fantastic deals.
But... the Exchange had exactly what I wanted at about $150 less than I saw everywhere else.

2/4/10 1:18 PM
Steamboat Bill

Willybone, check out the forums over at glocktalk.com. You will learn a lot over there and get some great advice.

For me, I like the GAP baseplates (concealablecontrol.com) on my 27 because they really lock my grip in tight without adding to the length and without any additional printing issues.

For carry, I find the subcompact Glocks too big for my ankle. IWB has been the best bet for me, personal favorite is Comp-Tac's Minotaur (comp-tac.com) or for extreme summer wear with shorts/no belt, etc. the Smart Carry (smartcarry.com).

Happy shooting.
2/14/10 10:12 AM
Willybone

Tried it on my neighbor's range yesterday. If I was excited before, I'm STOKED now.
Natural pointing, very managable recoil, and accurate enough for practical pistol, I think.
2/15/10 4:22 AM
Skpotamus

Awesome, now I would recommend:

First two months, just dry fire every single night, you can work on drawing the gun to (empty of course), slow and steady with your dry fire.
My personal drill (I'm right handed)
using a crush grip (gripping gun as hard as I can without the sights shaking in my hand)
10 right hand supported (two hand grip)
10 right hand only
10 left hand only
10 left hand supported (two hand grip)
10 right hand supported
That's one set, take a short break,
Do 4 sets for 200 dry fires a night.
If the sights move AT ALL, the shot doesn't count towards your total, only good ones count. If you find yourself making 3 or 4 bad ones in a row, take a short break, your grip is probably fatigued.
you can go to http://www.glockfaq.com/content.aspx?ckey=Glock_FAQ_Trigger_Technique_101 for dry fire info.

You can work on your draw during this time, but the main focus should be on the dry firing to get your accuracy good. Hit the range and amaze yourself and your buddies with your accuracy (when I did this over the winter with my glock 30, I was amazed at my own shooting, I emptied my first 10 round mag into the 10 ring of a B27 silhouette target).

After you are happy with your accuracy, you can cut back the dry fire to one set a night, and replace it with holster presentations from front, rear, left side, right side and while moving (moving the most important).
Tips for draw:
-Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target (I keep my trigger finger extended and pressing against the slide of my glock so it has some tension on it, it helps me keep it off trigger when I'm wrestling), whether that means sights lined up or gun indexed on target, this stops the infamous ND (negligent discharge) that claims toes, thighs, buttocks and testicles, depending on carry position.
-FAST is spelled S-M-O-O-T-H, don't worry about being fast, just get the motion you're going to use down, making sure you don't sweep yourself with your gun and your finger is off the trigger, you'll get faster as you get better at it
-once you get comfortable with the draw, start working on moving (again slowly) while you do it
I recommend doing a similar regimen as dry fire:
10 draws, target in front of you
10 draws, target behind you
10 draws, target to your right
10 draws, target to your left
10 draws, target in front of you
This is one set, do 4 sets
You can add in dry fire to the draw routine (I liked to do a failure to stop drill-two rounds to body, one round to head of target, the trigger won't reset, so just release it and press it again, the actual trigger moving or not doesn't make a whole lot of difference AFTER you've done your two months of dry fire).

Once you get good with it, you can cut down the draw to one set.

If you actually do this, within 3-4 months, you'll be on par with or better than most comp shooters out there, and should be able to go from holstered to rounds on target frighteningly quick.

Further training rec's once you have your dry fire and draw down:
Force on Force gunfighting drills- Gabe Suarez (using airsoft guns and training buddies, he has some cheap videos and books to get you started).

Guns, Bullets and Gunfights - book by Jim Cirillo, Jim was a member of the NYPD stakeout squad, he was in 17 actual gunfights during his career as a LEO, he talks about point shooting in the book and getting good without using your sights.

Hope this is useful.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.