Alabama Underground >> AGA Top Teams

4/19/09 7:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hiza Geri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jits Supremacy
Southern BJJ
Spartan Fitness

In that order. We look forward to seeing everyone at the next tournament.

Year end team tops will get a very nice trophy.
4/20/09 4:12 AM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL....Jits Supremacy just beat all their own guys! I think maybe I saw one or two of their guys beat Southern guys who were brand new to training.

One guy from JS who posted on blackeyemma that he "could hang with anyone in the state on the ground"...got tapped in less than two minutes by Adrian Miles in the beginner division.

By the way, according to their team, it is pronounced "Jeeyuuuts Suuuupremaaahhhcee"
4/20/09 4:27 AM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/20/09 5:24 AM
BY the way...if you get a chance check out the JS myspace page. It is AWESOME. One of the "belt promotion videos" is from a kid who I personally scored his three matches against the same kid from Southern BJJ...who had started training three weeks ago or something like that. He lost all three and they weren't even close.Apparently he is a blue belt???? I DOUBT IT!!!JS, according their myspace, does that Eddie Bravo satellite deal where they use the 10th planet videos to teach and in exchange they get to fly the 10th planet banner.Bravo cashing in on some NOOBS. Their "coach", who if he is giving out blue belts is allegedly a brown himself (isnt that right? you have to be at least brown to give a blue? I could be wrong but I am pretty sure that is how it goes)anyway, their coach was watching Adrian and Chase's match and was shocked at "how unbelievably good those guys are"... he then asked if they were "black belts".....good to know this guy is handing out belt promotions."Be the best, train with the best" is their motto...or creed, or some shit.
4/20/09 7:33 AM
Hiza Geri

C'mon guys, that's not all true. Sure, they had alot of guys there, but only 2 brackets were only their guys (one junior and one adult). When the results are posted, you will see that they placed among the other teams in attendance.

And Tom Barnard had already beaten Lucian once in the MONSTER 176 division (it had around 12 competitors, I think) before they met for the 3rd place match. And Tom, I believe, had an injured arm going into that match.

There is just no sense in trashing anyone. The tournament was open for everyone and anyone to show up and COMPETE. If you didn't (and we know there are several with REAL reasons not related to getting out of bed), then that's that. I think it's great that there are people trying to fill a void and then taking it to competition instead of hiding away. Pat Miletich and his crew started IN THE SAME WAY. Not everyone has access to a black belt or whatever.
4/20/09 7:34 AM
Hiza Geri

And I know this is the UG. I won't post anymore like the above. Just that once...
4/20/09 8:27 AM
Lucian

Ok, lets assume for a second that we don't all know who Stranglehold26 is (even though I'm pretty sure we all do) He just said he was scoring one of the matches so we now know that he trains at spartan, the same team who basically ran the tournament. Can we say potential for bias? Here's a thought. If SBJJ and Spartan fitness or the AGA as they like to call themselves want to seriously promote grappling tournaments and events, maybe they should keep their non-competing peons from talking trash about the one team that made that tournament possible by bringing almost half of the competitors. I hope for the sake of the AGA (because I do want to see this endevour become successfull) that noone from team supremacy reads that B.S. and decides not to bring anyone to the next tournament. Tom Barnard was tough, he had some decent jits whether he learned it from a video or a coach, he was out there competing and attempting submissions. He did the smart thing in our first match by hanging onto that body triangle once he had scored some points. As for our second match that I won decisively, Tom didn't make any excuses to me and I don't know that he would appreciate anyone making any excuses for him either. Both were good matches. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.
4/20/09 8:56 AM
Alex Harkins

Edited: 04/20/09 8:57 AM
  Those guys are some damn good deer hunters from what I hear. They can also ride the shit out of some ATV's
4/20/09 9:41 AM
Lucian

I didn't mean to insinuate that there was bias, only that there was potential for bias and that when one of the SCORE KEEPERS gets on the forum talking trash about the people whos matches he scored, it doesn't make a very good impression at all.
4/20/09 10:01 AM
Lucian

To clarify further I personally had no problems with the way the tournament was run. Some things could have been improved but I am confident that they will be by the next tournament and I am glad we have an organization willing to put the work into having local tournments to compete in. I personally had a very good time. My concern is the stability of such an organization that allows people who represent them to bash the very same people who are supporting them by competing in the tournament. It would be different if it was someone who had competed coming on here and talking trash about someone he beat or who beat him, that would be normal AL UG talk and could be tolerated. But for someone who didn't even compete, and who by his own admission helped to run the tournament, to talk trash about an entire team of compeitors, that is just asking for people to boycott (like they did with Samuel's tourney). Everyone got so upset over people being sceptical concerning a new grappling organization but then you give them a legitamate reason to be sceptical. Give me a break and let's just make this thing work.
4/20/09 10:18 AM
Lucian

LOL at the belt buckle idea, that's a good one.
4/20/09 3:02 PM
Hiza Geri

I would not even attempt to try and muzzle strangle; even if I did, it wouldn't work.  I see your concern, Lucian, but it goes back to the first set of problems we were having concerning the org.  I can't help what people think or whether or not they get tied up in made-up controversy.

The FACTS are as follows:
- Strangle asked ME if he could help and I readily agreed, as he is a very knowledgeable and competent person AND extremely trustworthy (which is hard to find in a world of flaky people).
-  He would have been competing but for a torn ACL, which only happened last week.
-  Yes, the others at the tables were all Spartans, too, but as you correctly pointed out, there were no biases exhibited, because I only allowed people I trust to work it.
-  The AGA ran a completely unbiased show, which was the major intent behind its creation.

I do, trust me, see your point, but again, I can't help what people think (or say).  Above are the facts.  I will let the facts speak for themselves.  Just like Jits Supremacy let their actions speak for themselves (bringing a team, competing, winning).
4/20/09 3:02 PM
Hiza Geri

It will have to be a hell of a petition for me to make championship belt buckles...
4/20/09 6:27 PM
MOWA Outlaw

Stranglehold26 - ...it is pronounced "Jeeyuuuts Suuuupremaaahhhcee"

Sho Nuff!
4/20/09 6:50 PM
Josh J

Damn I can't get over how bad that name sucks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.