UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Are these the same wine?

4/20/09 5:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/20/09 5:22 AM

Red Bicyclette 2007 Chardonnay

Red Bicyclette 2007 Chardonnay

Photobucket

both were bought in the same store at the same price.

theyre French wines distributed by Gallo.

supposedly the yellow more cartoonish label was to appeal to the younger American consumer. so im wondering if the white label is what is being sold in France.

with that brings the question the quality of the 2 wines themselves.
5/15/09 4:01 AM
FCTV808
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

since we changed the label to white, sales have grown. we source the grapes from the languedoc region in france where many of france's "economy" wines come from as the vineyards there are younger so the grapes "less complex" and more fruit forward no? lol

thing is, red bike sources french grapes but adjusts it flavor profile to fit the american palette better by keeping them less earthy and more fruity. personally, i fuggin hate drinking wine that tastes like it spent a few months in the french farmer's shoe.

gallo's pricing this year on this is do go deep deal every odd month from july so buy it on ad in those months will be the best deal. no price increases until 2010.
5/16/09 6:00 AM
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

how long will these wines last?

not even these wines in particular but budget wines $15 and under.

most of the searches ive done say to drink whites within 1-3 years of vintage.

its 2009 should i opt for teh 2005 if i see it on the shelf?
5/16/09 6:01 AM
junon

oh and btw hold on to that list.

im still planning on visiting KTeam soon its just ive been eating a lot of butter lately.

classical French cuisine and all that crap.
5/16/09 6:49 AM
FCTV808
294 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if u look at the vintage on the bottle most will prolly be 06 and 07. they r barrel aged for 1-3 yrs depending on the varietal and normally ready to drink. most at the under $15/bottle r not all that bottle ageable so i wudnt mess w trying to buy a 05 or older vintage off the shelf. other thing is that more than likely, wines at this price arent stored properly to begin with so forget about finding that "older" vintage w softer tannins, cause youll prolly end up w just shitty wine. ps u aint gonna find any 09 yet unless its beaujolais nouveau and that stuff only lasts a month or two. come by kteam one of these days, we can talk wine and bjj...
5/16/09 7:30 AM
junon

gotcha.

yeah i see mostly 06-07 but i have found 05 on the shelves.

07 was a better year than 06 of Cali chard, yes?
5/16/09 5:26 PM
FCTV808

junon - gotcha.

yeah i see mostly 06-07 but i have found 05 on the shelves.

07 was a better year than 06 of Cali chard, yes?

if you're talking single vineyard stuff, then that might make a difference, but for the lower tier "ca reserve" stuff--it's the cheap juice so it will only make a little difference. you know the thing w/ chards is the barrel aging if you like them buttery--which i do. unoaked stuff is not for me.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.