UnderGround Forums

Alabama Underground >> Constructive Criticism Thread

4/20/09 9:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hiza Geri
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Alabama Grapplers' Association, Inc

We would like to hear both what you guys liked and didn't like about the tournament.  That doesn't mean we will agree or change what you don't like, but I DO want to hear it; we aren't scared.
4/20/09 10:05 PM
Alex Harkins

A. Too far away from civilization
B. Too early

4/20/09 10:06 PM
Josh J

Edited: 04/20/09 10:09 PM
I didn't compete so you may not even want my opinion. I think it went well for the most part. The only thing that seemed off to me I've already mentioned to you.

When Dustin Beeson's match ended in a draw, he was given the win because he weighed less than the other guy. I'd love to see some sort of overtime instead. As I mentioned to you at the tournament, if I were in his situation I wouldn't feel as if I had earned that medal. I would sort of feel cheated out of the chance to win it legitimately.

That's really all that stood out to me. I think you guys did a great job, especially considering this was the first.

I don't really think the location was bad. It was a really nice place. It was a little out of town, but most poeple are driving over an hour to get there anyway. It was just as close for me as Birmingham would have been. I think that is probably really only an issue for people who live in B'ham and are used to competing in B'ham.
4/20/09 10:20 PM
MOWA Outlaw

Josh J - When Dustin Beeson's match ended in a draw,...if I were in his situation I wouldn't feel as if I had earned that medal.

I'm sure he's polishing that bad boy up right now, recalling his epic victory over his outclassed opponent.
4/20/09 11:03 PM
Lucian

My only issues were small logistical issues that I spoke with Phillip and Salter about after the tournament. I was just concerned that people were having to grapple 3 or 4 matches in a row. I agreed with them though that this would have been hard to avoid given the lopsided nature of the brackets, and I'm sure that if pre-registration is emphasized a little more next time, so that the brackets didn't have to be rearranged so much, the issue could be solved.

Oh and no loose women.

www.americanfightclubalabama.com
4/20/09 11:04 PM
Lucian

Also on a selfish note, it could be a little closer to Birmingham, but the venue was nice as Josh J pointed out.
4/21/09 7:28 AM
Hiza Geri

Thanks for the input so far.  I will address some of those now:
1.  We will not be moving it to Birmingham proper anytime soon for one major reason:  costs.  We tried to have it set up in Trussville, but I promise, for the money and hassle, the St. Clair High location is definitely the home base for now.  We have enough money in the bank to fully fund THREE more tournaments (even without considering the entry fees or new memberships).  The ability to plan and promote is a WHOLE lot easier, when you don't have to worry about the $.
2.  The location is actually alot closer for everyone else who came to the event.  I don't know why Birmingham people would be comlaining, as they have travelled to Atlanta on numerous occassions.  It would be easier for me if it were in B'ham too, but we are a statewide organization, and we will be having events across the state, eventually.  I know we like to think it, but Birmingham is NOT the center of the Alabama universe.
3.  I know Dusty was a little upset (and upset is too strong a word) about his win by skinniness, but he had a chance to score and didn't.  We don't have overtime rules because we are already a double elimination system, and we strive for efficiency in moving along the brackets.  You've got to put the points on the board or you "leave it up to the judges".
4.  Too early:  the weigh-ins START at 7, you don't have to be there at 7.  AND we run the junior brakets first.  And since you are travelling to central AL and not Atlanta, you have the time to make it at leisure, as Adrien did.  We actually started a half hour late, too, dealing with late entries.
4/21/09 7:43 AM
Hiza Geri

5.  Pre-registration:  We will always stress it.  I had all the brackets made up on Friday, but because of the late entries on Saturday and no shows, we had to redo them.  I don't think this will ever change (even if we absolutely forbid late entries, we will still have people not be able to make it or not make weight). 

WHAT WE ARE CHANGING FOR NEXT TIME:
1.  This time around, all pre-registers must choose all divisions they wish to enter beforehand.  We had a bunch of people who wanted to do other divisions, but waited until the day of to tell us.  We were happy to accomodate, but it created ALOT of hassle making and re-making the brackets.  Of course, late entries, by nature, will be telling us the day of, and we reserve the right to remake brackets and create divisions on the spot to accomodate situations "on the ground".
2.  The AGA will bring mat tape!
3.  We will have a more formal 1,2,3 medal award, where you get to stand on the little boxes and get your picture made.
4.  We will stress that if you are entered in multiple divisions, you run the risk of grappling ALOT and even of being dq'd if you are the middle of another bracket and get called in another.  The other organizations get around this by issueing cards with your weight at the door and then making the brackets on the spot, making you choose which brackets you want to enter and taking the decision off of them.  Because we want brackets made early and are more concerned with efficiency and fairly made brackets, we are making the competitor choose.  For instance, I know of one circumstance on Sat. when I had to DQ a Jits Supremacy guy because he was in the middle of another bracket and we were in the middle of ours (which he had also entered).  We actually waited for a while, before the other competitors and I were getting ancy.  I called over his coach and explained the situation.  It just isn't fair to make EVERYONE else wait for you.
5.  We will try and run the brackets in a more "orderly" fashion:  advanced, intermediate, etc. and light through heavy.  We totally lost that in the adult divisions (after we finished with the masters), and that was just us not doing it.  This will also help cut down on some of number 4, above.  Sorry about that.

LOOSE WOMEN:  .......I'll see what I can come up with; I'm open for suggestions...
4/21/09 8:35 AM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

get your mom to come out to the tournament.
4/21/09 8:46 AM
Hiza Geri

U can du better than that

4/21/09 8:54 AM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not really. throwing all my shitake talking energy into exposing this douche from Etowah Co.

Still waiting on his response to my latest "inquiry".

In the meantime, please do yourselves a favor and go to youtube and search "jits supremacy". The stand up training vids are very educational as are the other videos available.

I learned a lot about twister side control from "Blue Belt Level Cody Johnson". I just wish Cody would have used some of that sweet tech to dominate his opponents instead of losing to Southern BJJ's Kyle Dobson three times.

Kyle has been training for like 3 months.
4/23/09 10:05 AM
Lucian

I just remember thinking that I didn't see any medical staff at the tournament. I may have just missed it but if not you guys should definately have an ambulance crew on site just in case someone gets seriously injured.
4/23/09 3:21 PM
Hiza Geri

Now THAT was funny!
4/23/09 3:27 PM
BlazerinTraining

Hiza can you hire me as one of the medics for the next tourny? Also can I compete on the clock?
4/23/09 9:40 PM
Hiza Geri

I really don't know if we will do this or not; it's not mma.  I can't remember ever seeing meds at casca grossa or even at a wrestling tournament.  I know I've never seen them at judo comps. 
4/23/09 10:26 PM
Hiza Geri

And I'm not saying we WON'T do it; I just need some input justifying the expense.  We don't allow the suplexes or neck cranks that could result in severe spinal/cervical/cranial injuries.  Other than that, most injuries are going to be orthopedic in nature or possibly a rib injury; something that is, the overwhelming majority of the time, not an emergency situation. 

People could have pre-existing medical conditions, such as asthma and the like, but they acknowledge the full risks they are taking by competing.  Everyone does.  I am not tossing aside the suggestion, again, and I appreciate everyone's input, but the above is my reasoning, at the moment.  I guess I'm kind of equating the tournament to any other sporting event; the risk of injury is there, but we aren't hitting, kicking, elbowing each other.

Any other thoughts?
4/23/09 10:48 PM
Lucian

Edited: 04/23/09 10:48 PM
Well you're the lawyer, but I would think if for nothing else, you would want them for liability sake. Just because certain moves are illegal does not mean some A-hole will never do them and hurt someone.
4/23/09 11:05 PM
Josh J

I think we can just call an ambulance if someone gets hurt. That's what 911 is for.

Who are you planning on hurting Lucian?
4/23/09 11:21 PM
Lucian

hell it was just an observation, i kinda thought it was one of those necessary evils at any sporting event but i guess i was wrong.
4/24/09 3:59 AM
Stranglehold26

Edited: 04/24/09 3:59 AM
just because you make it illegal doesnt mean I wont foot stomp someone in the face and claim I did not attend the rules meeting.
4/24/09 7:30 AM
Hiza Geri

Lucian - Well you're the lawyer, but I would think if for nothing else, you would want them for liability sake. Just because certain moves are illegal does not mean some A-hole will never do them and hurt someone.

Well, that is absolutely correct.
4/24/09 7:31 AM
Hiza Geri

Lumbricus terrestris - Every naga/cg I've been to has had emts on standby.

Have you ever BEEN to one...??
4/24/09 7:32 AM
Hiza Geri

This is OUR organization, so I will price out the ambulance standby for the next tournament.

Sorry, Blazer, if you're working...  And we would want the cool van with all the goodies; you with your bag isn't enough...
4/24/09 7:34 AM
Hiza Geri

Lucian - hell it was just an observation, i kinda thought it was one of those necessary evils at any sporting event but i guess i was wrong.

No one is saying you're wrong; it's just a discussion with a little input from everyone.  It seems I need to check out the option, at the very least.  Thanks for bringing it up.
4/24/09 9:04 AM
Lucian

no problem

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.