UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Best books on FMA?

4/21/09 10:56 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Rollo Goodlove
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody wanna recommend some technique books on Kali, FMAs etc, especially from the Solo/Double baston angle. Thanks a million. :)
4/22/09 11:57 AM
WidespreadPanic

Edited: 04/22/09 12:06 PM
Two time-honored books:
Dan Inosanto's FMA
Balisong with Sonny Umpad

Not as good, but worth a look:
Kalis Ilustrisimo

Haven't found anything else that really teaches you anything - most are one-step books, or historical.

Edit to add: I'd say besides those, just get the Dog Brothers series from back in the 80s, or at least the first vid on power.

4/26/09 3:27 AM
Sisco T

i think for techniques, learnining FMA from books is so hard. the movements alone, no matter how many diagrams,arrows, etc. showing which way your ''flow'' should be, are almost impossible to get. now to read about various stlyes, history, people, there a few good reads.

Francisco
5/6/09 8:54 AM
ryangruhn
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

_____Lion Heart Fitness & MMA_____, Head Instructor
Sisco T - i think for techniques, learnining FMA from books is so hard. the movements alone, no matter how many diagrams,arrows, etc. showing which way your ''flow'' should be, are almost impossible to get. now to read about various stlyes, history, people, there a few good reads.

Francisco

+1
5/6/09 9:58 AM
WidespreadPanic

Most people can go pretty far watching vids. Books have mostly historical info. It's funny to see an author try and detail sinawali in a series of pictures. Go with the original DogBrothers videos, especially #1.
5/6/09 11:03 AM
Willybone
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sisco T - i think for techniques, learnining FMA from books is so hard. 
While I agree with you, it's surprising to see how many FMA masters seem mostly self-taught from their biographies. It seems like:
Tire in the yard + Too much free time = Serious skills
5/6/09 12:48 PM
ryangruhn
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

_____Lion Heart Fitness & MMA_____, Head Instructor
Willybone - 
Sisco T - i think for techniques, learnining FMA from books is so hard. 
While I agree with you, it's surprising to see how many FMA masters seem mostly self-taught from their biographies. It seems like:
Tire in the yard + Too much free time = Serious skills
Which FMA masters?

5/7/09 11:45 AM
WidespreadPanic

The only FMA master I'm aware that was mostly self-taught was Master Sonny Umpad. (some youtube vids on him). Sadly, he died a couple years ago. Great man, extraordinary skills, footwork and speed.

Prior to the upsurge of FMA in the 70s and 80s a lot of Filipinos did standard Japanese karate, fwiw.

5/9/09 2:31 PM
Sisco T

Edited: 05/09/09 2:32 PM
''Which FMA masters?''

ryan,
if you read, i believe, mark wiley's filipino martial culture i thnik there's a couple to a few guys who say no one taught them their skills. things like their deceased realtive showed them or some sort of apparition appeared and they mimicked the movements, etc, etc.

Francisco
5/11/09 8:26 AM
Willybone
404 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ That is exactly the book I'm referring to.
I'll see if I can dig it out of the basement and find a few names. It's buried in a box somewhere.
5/11/09 11:38 AM
Sicilian

Self-taught? Depends on how you look at it. Maybe some of them didn't go for any formal lessons - but I doubt that those skills just appeared out of the blue. Most likely, they honed their skills through encounters and actual combat. We're talking about pre World War 2 FMA fighters.

Also, on a sidenote, I've met so many good fighters here in the PI during my travels in the different provinces. No ranks, no systems, no politics. A lot of the good ones came from Family systems that were just passed on from generation to generation. It's a shame that many mediocre "Masters" are getting recognized in the world due primarily to business and marketing.

I'm not complaining though, since I'm one of the few ones who have met and trained with these fighters. :)
5/22/09 2:32 PM
Stickgrappler
1582 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

hello all:

obviously there are upticks and downticks to both books and videos with regard to learning. with that said, one book not mentioned and maybe not what Rollo Goodlove is looking for, but is worthwhile for FMA'er to read:

the late GM Leo Giron's autobiography out. Guro Inosanto's site should have the book for sale.

i didn't read it yet, but will soon. from the reviews i read over the years, GM Giron's WW2 experiences and using his FMA skills is a must-read.

IMO vids/dvd's for beginners:

Dog Brothers first series (Real Contact Stickfighting) available at http://www.dogbrothers.com

IMO vids/dvd's for intermediate to experienced FMA'ers, there is good material in the second Dog Brothers series (DBMA series).
8/11/09 7:22 PM
BeatKunDo

hey there,

i would highly recommend Warrior Arts of the Phillipines Book by Reynaldo Galang, which you can find at Budovideos.com (link below) it is not so much technique but its a great book on the history and influences of FMA- its a great read and essential for anyone seriously about training in FMA.

http://www.budovideos.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=22310&cat=&page=1

-j
8/31/09 7:12 PM
membrane

I've never read a good FMA technique oriented book (from a modern standpoint), even though Inosanto's Filipino Martial Arts is definitely a classic and I keep begging my friend to sell me his copy.

Filipino Martial Culture by Mark Wiley is a cool book about FMA grandmasters and their stories.
11/18/09 4:40 PM
dking
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Filipino Martial Culture by Mark Wiley is the best I've read. If anyone can suggest something along the same lines I'd love to read it
11/19/09 12:38 PM
WidespreadPanic

If you want to learn something about knife fighting and fencing, why not read up and study tapes on fencing and saber? IMO, the best big knife fighting style is based on saber and many people think that there was a heavy influence on filipino arts from the Spanish school.

I think you can go pretty far just learning some basic footwork, the lunge and riposte plus how to do a power forehand and power backhand shot. So yeah, tire in the backyard is good.
11/23/09 3:16 PM
Epa
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Like others said, videos are probably better than books for learning technique. These are some of the books that I liked for their history and general info.

Filipino Martial Culture, Mark Wiley. Just don't take everything Wiley said on the history as accurate because there are some major errors in the book. The section where he profiles different instructors is the best.

Filipino Martial Arts, Dan Inosanto. It's out of print and will probably be hard to find, but it's worth a look if you can find it. It covers a lot of concepts seen in different Filipino systems.

Warrior Arts of the Philippines, Rey Galang. It covers a few different styles (Balintawak, Ilustrisimo, San Miguel, Modern Arnis) and profiles several different instructors of those styles. Galang has another books like this on knife instructors called Masters of the Blade.

Cebuano Eskrima, Beyond the Myth. This book provides history of eskrima on the island of Cebu and highlights several instructors who are not known in the states. They also present a theory that FMA derived from Spanish fencing. Some interesting information, but I really didn't care for the writing style that much.

It's not a book, but I would also recommend looking at the dogbrothers DVDs called the grandfathers speak. They have footage of different FMA teachers showing their art.
11/25/09 7:52 AM
New2MMA
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is a new book out by Dan Anderson that is supposed to be very good, based on reviews that I have read.
11/25/09 10:55 AM
WidespreadPanic

Dan Anderson? There's one in MA who did 'Freestyle Karate' back in 1981. Don't see any FMA.

Another series that's good is the one by Col. Dwight McLemore, on big knife fighting and the Tomahawk. He uses FMA concepts, but it's primarily based on the saber.

Besides that and Guro Dan's book on FMA, I don't know of any FMA concept books. IOW, a book which talks about the 'how', not the 'what'. Most FMA books are on history, or just show various techniques. Some show partner drills. But that does't get you to 'how to fight' using FMA. Some do talk about footwork and using the 'x-pattern, diamond pattern' various things. On the whole they're a step above most MA books because of the way FMA is structured - it lends itself to technial details more readily, and there's a natural incorporation of partner drills.

One interesting thing I discovered with FMA is that when you do the various Japanese-style kata with a pair of sticks it really seems to make the kata 'come alive', and it feels like you discover a lot of 'missing movements'. (try it and see, especially after you learn sinawali)

$0.02
11/25/09 11:28 AM
New2MMA
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

www.danandersonkarate.com/store/FMA_Book_&_DVD.html 
11/26/09 7:32 PM
WidespreadPanic

Edited: 11/26/09 7:33 PM
 OK, N2MMA, going by the quality of his book on 'Freestyle Karate', I'd guess it would have to be very good. Balintawak style (which he seems to be training now) is a good style, though it's more speed than power oriented.

It is the same Dan Anderson, which surprised me. He is a hall-of-famer from the 80s, having won 70 Grand Championships and BB fighter of the year and stuff.

12/2/09 4:12 PM
Epa
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 12/02/09 4:12 PM
The book is probably more based on Modern Arnis than Balintawak because Dan Anderson studied Modern Arnis with Remy Presas for a long time. I think he started training when he was still competing in Karate. He has done some Balintawak with Ted Buot, but I don't think that's his specialty.
12/9/09 3:25 PM
MobutuHari

Epa - Like others said, videos are probably better than books for learning technique. These are some of the books that I liked for their history and general info.

Cebuano Eskrima, Beyond the Myth. This book provides history of eskrima on the island of Cebu and highlights several instructors who are not known in the states. They also present a theory that FMA derived from Spanish fencing. Some interesting information, but I really didn't care for the writing style that much.

I despise that book for it's terrible writing style. Nepangue and Macachor's thesis can be summed up in two magazine articles they wrote for Rapid Journal, which unfortunately can only be bought in the Philippines. The magazine articles were stellar and academic; the book itself outright childish and petty. They confuse their thesis with an anti-KALI epithet, rather than really focusing on Cebuano Eskrima like the book is titled.

Btw, I agree that European arts - which could've been Spanish saber, Andalucian blade styles, Italian mercenaries, etc. - could've influenced certain FMA systems. But not necessarily all of them were. Derobio, Sinayoup, moro-moro, Casag, Sinawalli, and some Southern styles I've seen don't seen to follow the Euro-influence. In fact, I remember some styles not even having a numbering system at all, nor an empty handed boxing/kickboxing portion . . they all adapted it and other techniques when teaching more to the masses.
12/15/09 2:55 PM
WidespreadPanic

IMO the Nova Scrima guys are training classic Escrima/FMA as it should be trained. They are able to bring their drils directly into sparring.

4/1/10 2:40 PM
PoundforPound
163 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any good saber DVDs that you recommend?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.