UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Big Green Mother F'n Egg

4/21/09 11:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Picked one up today.

Tips?
4/22/09 1:29 AM
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No pics yet, but I'll take some. Maybe tomorrow.

I just went with the nest. With all the shit I had to buy, the table was well beyond my budget.
4/22/09 2:16 AM
d0mm3r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats! I consider my egg the best thing I have ever bought. As for tips, I just followed temps and cooking times out of a grilling cookbook until I became comfortable with the egg, and then you can pretty much do as you please. Do you have any other smoking/grilling/bbq experience?
4/22/09 8:45 AM
Mullet @ Heart

d0mm3r - Do you have any other smoking/grilling/bbq experience?

Tons of experience with run-of-the-mill grilling (burgers, dogs, brats, chicken breasts, beer can chicken, steaks, tri-tip, etc.) on a propane grill.

Decent experience level with a Cookshack electric smoker (butts, ribs, brisket, etc.).
4/22/09 8:15 PM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of these days I'm going to get me an Egg... enjoy, and let us know your experiences.
4/22/09 10:06 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Just did a few chicken breasts to try it out. They came out tasting good, but the process was a little stressful.

I definitely need some temperature control tips. Is there a chart somewhere that says how wide open to have things to reach certain temperatures?
4/23/09 12:50 AM
d0mm3r

Its all about trial and error in my experience. Say I want to cook at 300, I'll get the coals going, open the bottom door to about half an inch, and the top daisy wheel to a sliver of a moon. Wait until the temp stabilizes, and see where I'm at. If it needs to be hotter, open the bottom door a touch; cooler, close it a touch. The egg is sensitive enough that the slight adjustments can dial your temp in perfectly.

The egg is my first experience outside of an old beat-up propane grill, so there was definitely a learning curve. Find out what temp your meat needs to be to finish, and what temp to cook it at, and the time it takes; armed with that knowledge, getting the egg to do what you want becomes a simple process of trial and error. And I've made enough (delicious) errors to know that I'm STILL going to make errors and learn from them.

How do you like the cookshack, btw? I've thought of getting one for when there's just not enough room on the egg for the people I'm serving.
4/23/09 8:54 AM
Mullet @ Heart

It seems to be more about the daisy wheel than I initially thought it would. I had it closed with the holes all the way open. On the bottom, I had the door open all the way and the screen closed all the way. Only got up to about 400.

The cookshack has been great. Set it and forget it. The only downside is the recovery time required if you need to open it up.
4/23/09 12:08 PM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Any suggestions on how to find an affordable one?
4/23/09 3:55 PM
d0mm3r

Edited: 04/23/09 4:58 PM
An affordable egg? Try to find an Eggfest near you, and see if you can buy one from them. They are used once that day and then sold off. I got my large egg, nest, daisy wheel, ash tool, and extra gasket for 575.

*Edited to specify egg size.
4/24/09 6:05 AM
NECKCRANK808
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

any pics
4/24/09 7:50 PM
samichlaus
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Congrats!!

I'm thinking a ceramic cooker is next on my list. What size did you get?
4/24/09 8:37 PM
Mullet @ Heart

NECKCRANK808 - any pics

Not yet. Still focused on figuring shit out. I'm waiting on my wood tabletop thingies too.

Got some chicken legs coming off in about 20 minutes.

samichlaus - Congrats!!

I'm thinking a ceramic cooker is next on my list. What size did you get?

Large.
4/25/09 6:41 PM
samichlaus
256 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The large seems to be the sweet spot.

I sorta like the mini. lol
I could grill on my desk at work.
4/26/09 8:39 PM
d0mm3r

I got to use the egg twice this weekend for tri-tips for parties - both parties people couldn't stop raving at how tender and juicy the meat came out, saying its always dry when they cook it, etc. etc. The BGE is like my secret weapon in BBQ wars!
4/28/09 2:43 AM
Mullet @ Heart

Okay, I'm calling bullshit on the temperatures people say they reach.

With everything wide open, I couldn't get mine above 650 for pizzas.
4/28/09 5:48 PM
d0mm3r

I was never able to reach the ridiculous temps until I came home from work one day and my roommate was doing ribs. Little did he know that he needed to regulate temps with the bottom door... and FLAMES were shooting out of the top of the egg. Destroyed the gasket, turned the ribs into lump charcoal for later use, and fried the thermometer in the hood.

I have since moved to a BBQ Guru setup, and although I don't know the exact temps the egg is reaching because I don't want to ruin the probes, I do know that when I have the fan going full blast onto the coals that the egg is reaching those massive temps people talk about, or higher. I need longer tongs to deal with that heat.
4/28/09 8:05 PM
Mullet @ Heart

Wow.

I'm hearing from the egg forum that I need to use more charcoal. I saw something on the video that said to fill it up an inch above the holes. Looks like I need to go all the way to the ring.

Will try again.
4/28/09 8:49 PM
chadk
158 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Welcome to the brotherhood of Eggheads.
4/29/09 11:56 AM
Extendo
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/29/09 8:11 PM
The look very cool and I'm sure they work great, but seem way overpriced for what you are getting.

-edited to add, this was just me being bitter that my girlfriend would kill me right now if I bought one of these bad boys. Congrats man! Can't wait to see the pics.
4/30/09 10:55 AM
Ozzimandias
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/30/09 11:04 AM
 Congrats!  I love my egg and use it to cook everything.  I always fill the charcoal up the ring and I leave the bottom vent all the way open and take the daisy wheel off the top.  As long as there is good air flow, I can easily get the temp over 700 degrees.  If its windy outside, it will got real hot even quicker.  I have even used a blow dryer.

As soon as it hits the temp I want, then I put the daisy wheel on top and adjust it and the bottom vent till it stabilizes at the desire temp.  It takes a few times before you get it down pact.

IMG_2077.jpg picture by bravo13825

4/30/09 10:56 AM
Ozzimandias
79 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

some more pics

IMG_2194.jpg picture by bravo13825
4/30/09 10:56 AM
Ozzimandias

Edited: 04/30/09 10:57 AM
 some more pics

IMG_1150.jpg picture by bravo13825steak.jpg picture by bravo13825  
4/30/09 10:58 AM
Ozzimandias

IMG_1956.jpg picture by bravo13825
4/30/09 11:00 AM
Ozzimandias

IMG_2095.jpg picture by bravo13825IMG_2015.jpg picture by bravo13825

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.