UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Big Green Mother F'n Egg

4/30/09 11:11 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Extendo
127 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh man, that looks good.
4/30/09 4:16 PM
NECKCRANK808
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

those ribs look perfect well done sir
4/30/09 7:45 PM
chadk
159 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

They're expensive but you get that lifetime guarantee and a versatile, high quality cooker for that price. My girl went off on me when she heard how much I spent on mine but has since acknowledged that it was worth every penny. She's even tried to convince friends of hers to buy them.
4/30/09 8:51 PM
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great pics, Ozzi.

How do you like the cast iron grate? Worth the extra money?
5/1/09 7:28 AM
Ozzimandias
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cast iron grate is nice.  Definitely worth the money if you like to cook steaks.
5/9/09 12:28 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/09/09 12:31 PM
Cool, man.  Welcome to the club.  I can hit 800 easy.   I hit 900 once, but they say you aren't supposed to go beyond that.  I usually do my burgers and steaks and stuff around 650-700, chicken around 425 and smoking anywhere from 200-275.  275 is more for low fat stuff like turkey and pork loin, because you want to do it fast. 

You are using lump charcoal and/or wood, right?  Yeah, you generally want to keep it filled with lump charcoal and wood blocks up the the ring. 

You are also going to want to get the plate setter and a 16" deep dish pizza pan (water/dripping pan) for smoking. 

Also, if you aren't already, before you use it each time, you have to stir up the remaining coals to knock off the ash into the holes, then top off with new coal/wood.  If you don't do this, it could affect the temp. 

Also make sure to clean out the ashes every now and then.  I usually do it every 5-10 times or so.  An accumulation of ash in there will block airflow eventually.  I use the BGE cleanout tool, but you could probably find something else or even make something suitable.

As far as wood goes, the best thing to get is the baseball-sized blocks.  Hardwoods (mesquite, guava, etc) create more heat than others, so watch out for that.

Good luck.  I've had mine for about 5 years and I still use it twice a week. 
5/9/09 1:03 PM
samichlaus
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I gotta get one. You guys would laugh at the amount of charcoal I use.
5/12/09 1:50 AM
Ozzimandias
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The money you would save in charcoal would be enough justification to get a BGE^^^^
5/27/09 12:12 PM
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Grrrrrr... I fucked up.

Tried to do a boston butt, and fucked up pretty good.

I let the temperature get away from me early on. It got up to 400° and it's taking me forever to get it back down to 250°.

Someone describe the process of getting the temperature to 250° and keeping it there, please. Do you overshoot a little then back off? Creep it up? Do you fill the firebox for low and slow? How many coals do you want to see going when you close the lid.

Calgon, take me away!
5/28/09 6:55 PM
d0mm3r
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I cheat.

www.bbqguru.com

I'd link it but my work computer fucks up the HTML editor.

I had found in the past that a full fire box, and trying to hit the mark from the low side rather than overshooting, was an easier task than cooling the fire down, so to speak. Use the daisy wheel to help control air flow too. The tiniest turn of that thing can have an impact.
5/28/09 7:56 PM
Grei
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm still learning the ropes with my Green Egg, but the best steak I ever had was a $2 steak I cooked on it
5/28/09 10:09 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/28/09 10:11 PM
I open the vents all the way, fill the firebox with charcoal and wood, hold my MAPP torch in there for about 30 seconds, then put in the plate setter and drip pan.  I overshoot a little, like 25 degrees maybe.  Takes about 10 minutes or whatever.  Then I put the meat on, close the bottom vent to about a quarter inch gap.  Close the sliding lid of the daisy wheel completely, but I leave the holes all the way open.  That should pretty much nail 200-250.  Of course you will have to make some minor adjustments due to a number of factors.

If you want a more accurate temperature reading, I suggest putting a temp probe right on the grate.  The dome thermometer reads about 25 degrees high, as do all thermometers mounted on the top of a smoke box. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.