UnderGround Forums

LEOGround >> Any Marshals on here?

4/23/09 8:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
saint39
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am currently AD Navy, considering getting out in a few years...assuming I can get accepted into USMS. Any current Marshals(or former) who can give me some info on training/first few years/life as a Marshal?
5/20/09 11:14 PM
pfsjkd
87 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While I'm not a Deputy Marshall, I would suggest that you look at, and apply to several different agencies.  That way, if you don't get accepted by your first choice but get accepted to another federal LEO position, you'll have a fighting chance at someday getting where you really wanna be.  Just a thought.
6/27/09 4:31 PM
TrappeBier
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am part way through the process for marshals. I would love to talk to one about what more to expect, so TTT.
7/2/09 3:47 PM
Muay Tired
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The training is approximately 20 weeks at Glynco, GA. The first 12 weeks is Criminal Investigator Training Program, where you learn to basic investigations. It is not physically challenging! After you graduate, you still have 8 more weeks of the USMS add-on, which is lot more tougher than CITP, but less academic.

Once you get to your new duty station, you'll be the "noob," meaning you get stuck with all the jail runs, cellblock duty, late courts, and crappy collateral duties that no one wants. If you're lucky or a kiss-ass, maybe you'll get to work a warrant or two. Basically, you have to prove your worthiness before they let you do "fun stuff". Be prepared to "ride the pine" (sit in court) for a while before you can kick in doors.

Don't have a know-it-all attitude, don't whine when you get an undesirable assignment, be a team player and learn everything you can about the job because you'll be showing someone the ropes when the next noob shows up.
7/2/09 5:10 PM
TrappeBier
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Can you tell me about the hiring proccess? I have the interview in a couple days. Can you tell me what to expect after that?
7/6/09 1:55 PM
Muay Tired
101 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't really know the process after the interview. It is a lot different then when I went through. All I know is you need to be prepared for the USMS FIT. A lot of people fail it and it is fairly simple. You'll also get the standard physical (blood work, hearing/vision test, turn you head and cough, etc.). If you pass everything, expect a call from HRD (anywhere from a couple of months up to a few years later) asking if you'll accept the assignment, then give you a week's notice to report to FLETC for training.
7/6/09 7:44 PM
TrappeBier

Thanks man. The FIT is the fitness test right? I feel pretty good about that.
7/20/09 12:01 AM
TrappeBier

Muay Tired, can I get your email address? I have a couple questions if you have the time.
7/27/09 11:40 AM
Muay Tired

I tried to send you a pm, but you have to accept me as a friend first.
7/28/09 10:13 AM
TrappeBier

I friended you
11/20/10 4:25 PM
TrappeBier

Finished CITP Friday. Got the little fitness good job award and the expert marksmanship award. Marshals training starts Monday.
11/24/10 10:34 AM
KidJustice
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TrappeBier - Finished CITP Friday. Got the little fitness good job award and the expert marksmanship award. Marshals training starts Monday.

Good luck. Where are you reporting to? I'm on a USMS task force here in Denver.
11/26/10 5:25 PM
Muay Tired

KidJustice - 
TrappeBier - Finished CITP Friday. Got the little fitness good job award and the expert marksmanship award. Marshals training starts Monday.

KidJustice- Ever deal w/ a total douche/spaz named Paul S. in Denver? He's a DUSM.
11/26/10 10:50 PM
KidJustice
205 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Muay Tired - 
KidJustice - 

KidJustice- Ever deal w/ a total douche/spaz named Paul S. in Denver? He's a DUSM.
Nope never had to deal with him. He is not on the task force I work. Is he new in Denver? 
11/29/10 9:55 AM
Muay Tired

Mr. KidJustice- Consider yourself lucky then. I know he's in the Denver office, but probably assigned to court.
12/2/10 3:40 PM
TrappeBier

I am going to Salt Lake City, I am from Atlanta. Looking forward to it.
1/6/11 3:55 PM
TrappeBier

Graduate Tuesday as a Deputy US Marshal, looking forward to it.
1/6/11 10:15 PM
KidJustice

TrappeBier - Graduate Tuesday as a Deputy US Marshal, looking forward to it.

Congrats! Some good agents in the ICE office there (you're still heading to SLC right?). If you ever have any need for ICE help let me know and I'll get you in touch with the right guys.
1/7/11 5:14 AM
TrappeBier

Ok sounds good, thanks!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.