8/29/09 8:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TapnoSnap
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/16/09 11:14 PM
8/5/14 3:01 PM
Judo Scott
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I still hate flow rolling and think its the stupidest shit ever
8/5/14 3:03 PM
Judo Scott
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Judo Scott - I dont get flow rolling. I get relaxing and not forcing shit but "flow rolling" just doesn't make sense to me. My instructor keeps trying toi get me to do it but everytime I try my version of it with a lower belt he says I am fighting to much.

>:-|

whatever...

I wasn't sure then but I am now. Flow rolling is the retarded type of "training" there is.
8/5/14 3:04 PM
PTM2020
1773 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^seriously though, what do you think of Flow Rolling?

8/5/14 3:08 PM
Judo Scott

I'd rather do katas and try to find the hidden techniques
8/6/14 7:51 AM
cdog1955
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm 180 degrees the other way, I think it should start being taught at very early white belt. I have started incorporating it in my classes and I have seen GREAT improvement in movement.

IMO, jiu jitsu is movement, flo rolling is movement. It is especially helpful for the big strong newbies to get them to not rely on their strength.

8/7/14 2:34 AM
Zero1
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Black Belt, Hessen, Germany

It´s funny to watch that old video of mine which is about 6 years old.:-)

What I think is that the most important step of Flow rolling is often overlooked.

You start with big and wide movements but as more experience you get as smaller your moves should become.

Ideally your Flow roll looks like a normal roll since your flow movements are reduced to the inside. You are stille in that relaxed state but you do not have to move that much anymore......

Then Flow rolling and normal rolling merge into the same.....

8/7/14 6:35 AM
Randy Marsh
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nice! Phone Post 3.0
8/7/14 9:13 AM
Judo Scott

It looks and feels like two monkeys fucking a football to me. Its the equivalent of cardio boxing. You're boxing isn't improving with that.

You want to roll light and explore positions I am all for it but this lets flow roll stuff is just two dudes patting each other on the back for nonsense.

You can say what ever nonsense you want but at the end of the day its ridiculous LARPing. No serious athlete does this sort of "training" in any other sport.

Imagine a football practice where everyone moved like lethargic idiots and fell over at the slightest breeze. Or a boxing sparring session with two guys slowly moving and bobbing and weaving at 1/10th speed. Then high fiving each other after they discovered some new insight from this sort of sillyness.

The more I write about it the ore it sounds like TMA nonsense.

You may as well do Akkido then you can larp like that all the time.

Just my opinion of course
8/7/14 10:08 AM
ChipW
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Watch more videos on Flowrestling

Judo Scott,

I believe you are right in that if all we did was flow rolling, we would be no better than akido or othe TMA's.   I do feel  Flow rolling is a valuable tool to have in the tool box to use on ocassion though.  

Above are two videos of very high level wrestlers doing the wrestling equivilent of flow rolling.    I have noticed at the highest level, wrestlers do as much of this and drilling as they do live go.  Young wrestlers do it some but only the really advanced ones and then, only on ocassion.  

I think the trick is to be able to give an accurate and realistic feel and react in a way that mimics a live go without all the effort and struggle.   I think thats why mostly experienced guys get the most from it and why the kids dont do it very much.  Its pretty hard to do and if realistic reactions arent used then it does turn into "two dudes patting each other on the back for nonsense" .  

What i notice amongst the kids is that they dont understand give and take and one tries to dominate the drill which pisses the other off and then you end up with a live wrestling match.  What i notice amongs adults is that usually both are trying to be accomodating to each other and you end up with two limp fishes flopping around.   

Im no expert by any means but what seems to work well to get the drill started is designate an attacker and a defender.  attacker is going to chain moves together and eventually finish.  Defender is going to defend a little, causing attacker to chain moves together.   Defender will eventually let attacker finish.  swith roles and repeat.

8/7/14 10:19 AM
Judo Scott

We have had lots of wrestlers from ODU at my academy and other spots. I live in the place where the Granby system of wrestling was started so tons of wrestling here.

None of them have ever suggested using that sort of training.

So IME lots of high level wrestlers don't do flow wrestling.

They have suggested what you mentioned a the end which isn't flow rolling. Thats an uke/tori drilling where tori drills through moves with intention and uke responds. I'm all for that.

Flow rolling is open ended and both people "flop like fishes" until someone decides OMG BRO you totally got me with that cool move.

Flow Rolling... not even once!
8/7/14 10:24 AM
ChipW
203 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heres a camp that teaches a series of choreographed moves to teach kids how to chain wrestle and scramble. When you look at this as a stand alone drills its almost like Kata's from TMA's.  The difference is its wrestling and this is only a small part of a typical wrestling practice.  These drills teach the kids to keep moving and attacking or defending to score, oif that makes sense.

8/7/14 10:38 AM
Judo Scott

Great video! I am all for drilling to thats not flow rolling.
8/7/14 2:02 PM
ChipW

Judo Scott - Great video! I am all for drilling to thats not flow rolling.
Gotcha. That's what I call flow rolling, I think we are talking about the same thing just different name Phone Post 3.0

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.