UnderGround Forums

Alabama Underground >> RIP Dexter Hammond

4/26/09 12:55 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Golden Arm
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dexter Hammond, a Headland,AL police officer and President of Combat Sports Elite (CSE Fights), was killed in the line of duty Friday evening, after responding to a call of shots being fired at a trailer in Headland. He was murdered as he exited his police vehicle.

Dexter was responsible for promoting several MMA events under the CSE banner in Dothan, AL and the surrounding area, and had trained several local fighters. He was the former police chief of Midland City, AL, and the mentor to several good police officers in the Dothan area.

Please keep Dexter and his family in your prayers.
4/26/09 1:06 PM
Lucian
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP
4/26/09 5:44 PM
Hiza Geri

Alabama Grapplers' Association, Inc
 This is sad and demoralizing.  There are all kinds of reasons for people to "do wrong" , but the police are tasked with keeping the rest of us safe AND protecting those who are having problems with life.  In our thoughts, always.

Om Mani Padme Hum... (ad infinitum)
4/26/09 10:54 PM
countrypimp

I don't know of any training of fighters since, in the early days, he used all of mine. But Dexter did indeed bring mma to south alabama.

I will be there in Eufaula to pay my respects on Tuesday. It will be hard seeing his young children.

We have lost a brave soul in law enforcement. RIP.
4/26/09 11:14 PM
sbjjstreetcop

Dexter was a TKD Black Belt and had a karate school at one time,and if I am not mistaken was where he met his wife. Dexter had a love for martial arts and tried BJJ a little too. He was a good and genorous man and a good friend. I will miss him.
Rest in peace Headland PD Officer Dexter Hammond, you were a good friend and you will be missed. To all my brothers standing on the thin blue line, be careful out there because all we have is each other. http://www.rickeystokesnews.com/article.php/updated-810-pm-two-law-enforcement-officers-shot-in-henry-county-2268
4/26/09 11:29 PM
Golden Arm
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/27/09 8:28 AM
"I don't know of any training of fighters since, in the early days, he used all of mine."

James Isler was trained in TKD by Dexter.
4/26/09 11:39 PM
countrypimp

Edited: 04/26/09 11:41 PM
yes, that's right. James did do some TKD before CSE.
4/26/09 11:40 PM
BlazerinTraining

I didnt know the guy but respect him for laying down his life in the line of duty. RIP
4/26/09 11:49 PM
countrypimp

Edited: 04/26/09 11:50 PM
Best memory:
Dexter and I sat down at a small bar in ozark (mudbugs, I think) and taped the voice-over and outtakes for the first CSE. We goofed up some many times and drank too much of the guy's beer (he offered "a few free drinks")! By the end of the filming we looked so serious becuase he didn't want anyone to see how toasted we got.

The next day he called me to let me know the bar owner, who was doing the filming and editing, didn't want us back in the place. the guy had to go through four hours of footage just to get what's on the DVD. Crazy.
4/27/09 10:58 AM
MOWA Outlaw

He had more than one kid (Cody)?

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=82982302&albumID=514485&imageID=2950799

RIP
4/27/09 12:10 PM
Stranglehold26
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

RIP for Dexter and any other first responders who have given their life, or put theirs on the line every day to protect their fellow man. I didn't know him, but I am sure he will be missed. Sad news for sure.
4/27/09 1:42 PM
Golden Arm

Visitation for Officer Dexter Hammond, 38, will be tonight (Monday) from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Eufaula Community Center.

Hammond’s funeral is set for tomorrow at 11 a.m. from the community center. He will be buried at Memory Garden Cemetery.
4/28/09 9:44 PM
countrypimp

Today was a special day. Dexter Hammond got the honor and respect ANY AND ALL law enforcement deserves:

EUFAULA — It began with a chilling a capella version of Amazing Grace.

It continued with Attorney General Troy King holding the badge of slain officer Dexter Hammond in his hand.

“He was not a hero because of the way he died,” King told the crowd of about 1,000 mourners at Hammond’s funeral Tuesday. “He was a hero because of the way he lived.”

Law enforcement personnel from as far away as Autauga County and Vincent in Alabama, Lumpkin in Georgia and Escambia and Walton counties in Florida and most points in between, converged on the Eufaula Community Center to honor Hammond and his family. Some 151 law enforcement vehicles lined up on Lake Drive, while at least 50 more parked near the center. Hundreds of officers, deputies, troopers, investigators, military personnel and emergency responders lined up in front of the center as friends and family passed by.

The auditorium of the center was completely full with mourners standing four-deep in the back, and along the walking track suspended around the auditorium.

When it was over, officers formed a gauntlet as the flag-draped casket was carried out of the building. The sound of the revving engine of Hammond’s beloved Harley Davidson broke the silence. A friend led the funeral procession to the graveside on Hammond’s Harley, his leather vest resting on the plexiglass shield.

“All of Alabama mourns today,” King said following the service.

As the procession left the community center and headed toward the grave site, a color guard from nearby Eufaula High School presented colors and saluted. Another group of residents across Lake Drive held the American flag and watched as blue lights flashed by.

Hammond, a Headland police officer, died Friday when he responded to a call for backup due to a disturbance at Granberry Crossroads near Headland. He was shot and killed by Fred Davis, who had already shot Henry County Sheriff’s deputy Ted Yost. Davis was then shot and killed by other law enforcement.

Yost was recently upgraded from critical to fair condition at Southeast Alabama Medical Center.

Doug Valeska, district attorney for Houston and Henry counties, said Hammond’s name will be inscribed on a fallen officer’s memorial, dedicated to officers who have died in the line of duty in the two counties.

RIP, my friend...we'll meet again.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.