UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> How much would u pay 4 audio/stage/lighting school

4/27/09 2:57 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been approached by a couple of business acquaintences about starting a stage production school here in Vegas. Right now it's just casual talk so consider this dabbling-level research.

What we're NOT talking about is an accredited 2- or 4-year liberal arts degree, which is already available here via UNLV,

NOR are we talking about a Fullsail-type, 2-year, high-cost, low-benefit trade school.

What we are discussing is a one semester, intensive production class covering the information you'd need to know for a SBE certification, or IATSE union-offered course test; that kind of thing. Basically closing the gap between [overkill bullshit] & [not knowing a goddamn thing].

Assuming you were in the [not knowing a goddamn thing] group & were interested in a stage production career, how much would you be looking to pay & what would you expect out of it?
4/29/09 3:37 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally, not a goddam thing!

There's a few similar places here in Canada that might give you some ideas for pricing, the last two might have two term courses now:

http://www.taratoronto.com/tarav2/aboutus.php
http://www.recordingarts.com/main_about.htm
http://www.trebas.com/
http://www.harrisinstitute.com/

From what I understand prices start around $8-10 grand. It's a good field to get into if you want to make some coin.
4/29/09 8:48 PM
BarkLikeADog

Really? Assuming you knew nothing, your first choice is "not a goddamn thing"?

SBE certs are no joke & just having access to the people who are running major stages in a huge market like Vegas would seem to be worth a tad more than nothing.
4/30/09 1:24 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I missed the part about being interested in a stage production career.

4/30/09 5:00 PM
Thelonious

When I teched a lot of the people I worked with had went to Trebas. I've heard it's a great school, but why would you pay money to work as a roadie?

For that reason, I think a one semester crash course would be useful. More useful if you were tied to a couple production companies that would hire grad students.
4/30/09 5:05 PM
BarkLikeADog

A roadie moves cargo. Not what I'm talking about. FoH, SoH, HoL are all union jobs here.

"More useful if you were tied to a couple production companies "

The guys I'm talking about run many if not most of the major stages here in Vegas, depending on how you define major.
4/30/09 6:24 PM
Thelonious

In a travelling crew, everyone hauls gear BLAD, that was my point. Stage managers even help with tear down unless it's contracted to a local company.

If your contacts are local that would be even more appealing in my opinion. If it's all union though, would your guys have trouble hiring your grads over other people?

I have no idea how much you could charge, but I agree that it could be successful. Less school with equal success is a pretty good business plan lol
4/30/09 10:46 PM
Georbraham Linkington

I paid 14 grand to go to SAE.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.