UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Soundground - Help.

5/4/09 11:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Racer X
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"the track that fired up had a long masturbatory intro before the meat of the song kicked in"

demo suicide,IMO. Sink the hook fast.

BLAD, great post, as usual.
5/5/09 7:47 AM
BarkLikeADog
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Honestly I expected more of an argument. WTF forum am I on?

lol
5/6/09 2:12 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Popular music has killed the dynamic of a build-up.

Most every song now has the chorus about 12 seconds into the song.
5/6/09 1:17 PM
BarkLikeADog
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, but since that happened in the ragtime era I'm not sure there's much point bemoaning that now.
5/7/09 12:07 AM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Songs structured like "bohemian rhapsody" or "happiness is a warm gun" will never show up on the radio...............unless they are in a movie soundtrack of a popular movie.
5/7/09 12:28 AM
BarkLikeADog

Edited: 05/07/09 12:28 AM
Honestly if Queen or the Beatles hunched over the headshell & shat directly on the stylus at that point, it still would've gotten airplay, so I'm still not exactly feelin' ya.

If Martin found another shitty lost Lennon tape & could get McCartney to sign off on it, they could put out a 10 minute atonal Cleveland Steamer & get radio to play it today, no sweat.
5/7/09 6:29 PM
Axl_Rose
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ No reason to argue with some good advice! :)

Sometimes you just need to hear people say what you're already thinking. Some of your points were spot on, some not so much, but hey, you clarified that with it being your opinion and not actually being in a band.

I'm grateful you had that much to say about it.

Some of the guys here are right, it isn't always about hooks. But we'll see. Going into the studio this month, will report back after things are pressed and sent out.

This kind of thing is what the Soundground was built for.
5/7/09 9:51 PM
BarkLikeADog

"Some of the guys here are right, it isn't always about hooks."

Actually no one was arguing that point including me. Just be aware of the difference between promotional materials & product for sale was my point. Business cards don't have multiple pages.
6/9/09 12:07 AM
Mike Russell
147 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Order this book.

http://www.indiebandbible.com/
8/26/09 9:14 AM
The Kangaroo
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Barklikeadog is dead on.

1. If you are looking for music to be either your sole form of income or a major part of it, cover bands are actually the way to go. (Especially if you can bring in a crowd, ie your friends)  I spent years in high school and college playing in original bands and we would fight over $50 and $100 dollar gigs with clubs that couldnt give two shits whether we took the gig or not. They had a million other local bands that would take the slot. This was a big market too, (Houston) with a decent scene at the time. I'm practicing right now with a cover band that plays mostly modern rock (think 93 and forward) and they get booked for between $500 to $800 a night, in 2-3 night blocks. Not quit your job money, but a nice supplemental bit of income.

2. Dont dream of a major label. One, you need to be of the mindset that music in general is a non-profit endeavor and you are doing it because you love it. You'll set yourself up for failure trying to be the next Coldplay. So, cut your costs. I agree you shouldnt be "touring" for the most part. 75% of your gigs should be in your local market. Its alright to play the odd gig somewhere outside of the nest but even that should be done in a calculated manner. (ie, a specific town or city) You want to keep hammering the same places and build a following there. You have a much better chance of getting signed to an indie label in your local market than you do a major label, so quit trying to gain attention in other regions and instead make your band an undeniable entity in your local market, which no doubt has several indie labels.

3. Success is relative and if you are in a band, success should not be soley defined by making a living off it. I know guys from 3 bands that did some really cool shit with their music, none of them made significant money and all now have day jobs in other areas. One, was a massive band in H-town at the time, making about $2,500 a night and they basically owned the scene for 2-3 years. A major caught them, sent them out to Cali to play and put them up for about a year touring that market. Of course they ended up busted and dropped and came back home to a scene that had changed. But, they have some fucking awesome stories and for a brief moment in time were in demand and living the life. They look at the band as a success. Another band built a big indie following locally and became the band in the area to open for similar more popular acts. They did a 7" with Sunny Day Real Estate, opened for Modest Mouse, Built To Spill and Jimmy Eat World. They got snapped up by a local indie, made an album (they had a self made album prior and a shitload of 7" release on vaious label back when 7"'s were still popular) they toured the region non stop for a while before realizing they were never going to be able to make a living exclusively on music and gave up to provide for their families. Still, a major success in relative terms. The other band which is still active is signed to an indie and they have a moderate following, BUT they've made some loot by having their music used in several commmercials. In fact, aside from that avenue, which their music is really great for, its really the only realistic area they have for making money. But, its a success. Watching a commercial with your song on it is fucking cool.

I say all of this just so you get the picture that even getting some press, some interest, getting signed etc still doesnt mean youll ever make a real dollar, but that should not be the goal. If you make good music and have some cool experiences in the process then its a success. I'm not saying dont try, or dont bust your ass, but be realistic. Dont forget why you are playing music in the first place.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.