UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> I'm not okay with death and dying

4/28/09 4:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cottonzway
610 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Good post.
4/28/09 4:34 PM
puddlesmith
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No one knows and anyone claming they do is most likely full of shit and/or trying to sell you something
4/28/09 4:37 PM
meow mix
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zonion, that sounds a lot like what I believe to be true.  But still, what if it's wrong?

And why aren't people afraid of bringing in life to the world?  What makes that okay but death scary?  And would you say that once that life begins, it's essentially the beginning of death? 
4/28/09 4:41 PM
john76
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I die

I will go before Crom and he will ask me the riddle of steel

If I don't know it he will laugh at me and cast me out of Valhalla
4/28/09 4:42 PM
Zonion
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

meow mix -  Zonion, that sounds a lot like what I believe to be true.  But still, what if it's wrong?

And why aren't people afraid of bringing in life to the world?  What makes that okay but death scary?  And would you say that once that life begins, it's essentially the beginning of death? 

If it's wrong, then at least you're in the same boat as everyone else who has ever lived and died.  And if they can do it, you can do it. 

Are you trolling with those other questions? Lol.
4/28/09 4:43 PM
HELWIG
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What if death is simply an eternal sensation of you being disembodied but in pure mental agony, screaming silently forever?
4/28/09 4:43 PM
rushinbear
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Do you remember anything BEFORE you were born? What makes you think you would remember anything AFTER you are dead. When you heart stops and your brain freezes, that is the END END....
4/28/09 4:48 PM
Fightin_Chance
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not ok with dying OR getting old....

or people who fucking won't use their turn signals
4/28/09 5:02 PM
Frantic
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 04/28/09 5:51 PM
Didn't read the replies yet but the seeing light stuff is blamed on the brain release a certain chemical/chemicals and a lot of it.

For awhile i was scared out of my mind of dieing i couldn't sleep i felt like i was having a panic attack, Then i read some samurai stuff and feel much better lol. Also i think it was a chemical imbalance, because it comes and goes.

I have come to terms with dieing BUT, I have hope that within my life time we will cure aging or become immortal.

If you do your research it really isn't such a stretch to become ageless or somewhat immortal. There are many ways it can be done such as Biotechnology(nanotech), Cybernetics(Robocop), Cloning a new body and transplant your brain into younger body, Medicines or treatment that stop, slow down, or reverse aging. There are people working on this stuff and look at aging as a disease. Population problem could be solved by limiting children per family, making cities that float or are under the ocean, terraforming mars. I want to one day explore space on a starship, that would be so fricken cool. We need more people in this world that want to live and want to explore, reach for the stars. Instead we are stuck with mindless zombies with Ipods, Cellphones, MTV, Brittney Spears, and Twitter. All living to die?

I forgot to add in cryogenics.
4/28/09 5:02 PM
meow mix
36 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have effectively given myself a headache.

4/28/09 5:08 PM
Soup and Beer
165 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zonion, I appreciate your input.  It kind of follows the "reincarnation" line of thought.  The only problem I've had with re-incarnation is there are a hell of a lot more people now than eons ago.  That means someone's manufacturing souls!
4/28/09 5:38 PM
TheDigitalRuler
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What do you mean when you refer to "believ[ing] in nothing"?
4/28/09 5:49 PM
Dougie
839 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Personally I plan on raising myself from the dead to start feeding on the blood of OG'ers.

But that's just me.

4/28/09 5:50 PM
ranier wolfcastle
844 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DW -  since we have no way of really knowing,

i agree with u, but many religious peopole THINK they know...
4/28/09 6:14 PM
meow mix

TheDigitalRuler - 
What do you mean when you refer to "believ[ing] in nothing"?

"believing in nothing" = believing that when you die, you just stop and nothing happens after.  There is no after life, there is no heaven or hell, no soul coming back in a different body.  You just turn into dust.

I called my mother and talked to her.  This all came about because a guy that I knew going to Sunday school passed away yesterday.  He just turned 25 in the beginning of this month.  I'd lost touch over the years, but the profound effect that his death has had on me is pretty intense and has raised all these questions.  It hits on so many levels.  He died due do complications following a motorcycle accident;  my husband, younger brother, and father all drive motorcycles, not to mention various friends and other family members.  He was a younger brother; I have a younger brother that I'm pretty close to.  He was a son; if something happened to one of my sons and I had to bury him, I would be completely devistated. 

4/28/09 6:17 PM
killacox

take the time you spend worrying about death and spend it on those you would miss?
4/28/09 6:19 PM
Pecker
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Death is nothing to fear. Dying can't be any more painful than having children. Most people die peacefully. If you want to believe in something to comfort yourself, there is no harm in that. If you desire to exist after death, you probably will. If you believe in a certain kind of heaven, it will exist for you. I believe it is very personal. If you choose to not exist, you probably wont. It all boils down to what you want to believe. Being afraid of something that you have absolutely no control of is silly. The only things in life that we truly have limited control of is when we go to the bathroom. And we all lose control of that when we get old. Control is an illusion. I may think I am gonna grow old, then go to cross the street and be hit by a car and die. Death would be instantanious. I would probably even look down at myself and say WTF? or even laugh.

Death is nothing to fear. The sad thing is that most people don't truly live.
4/28/09 6:21 PM
killacox

"I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...not screaming & yelling like the passengers in his car" -JH
4/28/09 6:22 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Everyone goes through this crisis at some point.  It sounds like you've just never truly realized until now that you are going to die. 

Most people who were raised on religion go through the early part of their lives without really thinking about it.  It's not until you are in your 20's and 30's that you really start to notice people around you, your age, dying and your aunts and uncles dying and so on.  For some, it takes the death of someone close to them ,or maybe a brush with death of their own, to wake up.
4/28/09 6:23 PM
spontonio
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zonion - 
The moral of the story is that WHAT YOU DO IN THIS LIFE MATTERS

Perfect.
4/28/09 6:24 PM
Pecker
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Meow Mix- read "What dreams may come" by Richard Matheson. The movie is shit compared to the book. The book is different and is based on a real account.
4/28/09 6:25 PM
ECWCock

Life after death? Ever heard of Hell?
4/28/09 6:31 PM
Pecker

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Dreams_May_Come 
killacox

hell would be where all the fun people go
meow mix

What does it mean to truely live?  Yes, it makes sense to spend the time you'd think about dying on those you'd miss, but without sorting through these thoughts and feeling, can you really enjoy that?

I've had various points where I've realized I will die, and I realize the finality of death, but I think maybe because it is someone my own age is what is effecting me most.

BTW, thanks for the posts, and thoughts.  It is helping me sort this stuff out.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.