UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> I'm not okay with death and dying

6/17/09 9:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Saku12
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not ok with it? Unfortunately this is not something you get to have a say in.

Life after death is extremely interesting to ponder but as far as your ability to change it it is about as useful as a child guessing what is in the boxes under their Christmas tree. You will find out soon enough and all the fretting in the world won't change what is.
6/17/09 10:03 PM
Soup and Beer
234 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Zonion, care to give a short explanation of what the book said about life after death that your friends shared?  I guess I could go buy the book and read it but it's easier if you can give a brief synopsis of it.
6/18/09 7:30 AM
Zonion
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't remember all of the details and don't have the book anymore because I gave it to someone, but it was something like:

She found herself mulling about with a bunch of other people in a gray, misty environment.  All of the people were shuffling about with subdued expressions.  (I think the implications were that these were recently deceased people, perhaps in shock from the experience or whatever).  She found herself in a line (I think) waiting to go before an overseeing intelligence of some sort (imagine going before a judge who stands behind a podium).  It was her turn, and the overseeing intelligence entity assessed her situation and told her that it wasn't her time to die yet, if I recall correctly.  So she came back after being dead for five minutes (I think she was enroute to the hospital in the ambulance).

Anyway, my research has shown that this is one of a few different scenarious that might happen after you die, depending on your circumstance.  I recently heard a radio show, for example, where an experienced out-of-body traveller described similar circumstances as being the "purgatory" environment one might go to.  Not everyone is the same, spiritually speaking (from a spiritual evolution standpoint - that is why we come to Earth to incarnate - to live, experience, and evolve spiritually, learning life lessons the hard way, again and again, until we get it right).  And so this gray misty realm is not, in my opinion, any sort of "final" destination for most souls. 

Anyway, over many years, I have personally practiced several techniques for conscious, out-of-body travel ("astral projection" if you will), with a few notable successes.  These experiences, along with a lot of other research, have enabled me to determine that we, as conscious souls currently inhabiting physical bodies, continue to exist after the death of our physical bodies. 

This is not a chance world in a chance universe.  There is purpose and natural law to the way things are.
6/18/09 10:52 AM
sparkyman
68 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GirthVader - Try Leo Tolstoy - "The Death of Ivan Ilyich" Its short.
Short and depressing! I read it in University in a "Death and Dying" course that I took (yes, actual course!).

It did teach me the lesson of not avoiding the horse standing in the middle of the living room :) in these situations.

6/18/09 2:24 PM
meow mix
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Since this thread, I've further come to terms with things.  I didn't post anymore because I didn't know what else to say.  It still freaks me out a little, but it's an inevitable fact of life.  Ironic thought. 
7/19/09 4:22 PM
Atecexa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Kind of sad but we completely cease to exist....for eternity. It's really mindboggling to think about but most likely that's what will happen."

If this is the case then why care about doing anything "good" in your life? Or better yet why not just do whatever the f*** you want whenever you want to, you wanna kill someone go ahead and do it, you wanna rob a bank go ahead and do it, you wanna have 14 failed marriages and screw everything that moves for the rest of your life then go do it. If there is no eternal perspective then the only that will matter is doing what you want right here right now, your children mean nothing, you mean nothing and your family means nothing since one day it will all just cease to exist.
7/20/09 4:41 PM
WizzleTeatsv2

If you need the promise of external reward or punishment to get you to live a moral life, you aren't moral at all. If you can't imagine life having a meaning without an afterlife, then you need to take a hard look at yourself and how YOU value life.

I don't believe in an afterlife. Because of that, I think life is even more precious and unique. I don't need a god to tell me killing is wrong, or that marriage is important and valuable. I have no desire to inflict suffering on others, despite not believing in a god, a heaven, or a hell.

In short--if this is all there is, the only logical option is to live your life in a way that postively influences the lives of others. If you need to be forced to do that under the threat of hell, you have some serious problems.
7/21/09 3:28 PM
Atecexa

"I don't need a god to tell me killing is wrong"

Hitler didn't believe that killing was wrong, neither did Nero, Stalin, Lenin, Hussein, Castro etc...if it's just up to the individual to determine their own right and wrong who is to say that what they determine is wrong
7/22/09 12:33 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This may clear some things up on this thread.  It's 20min long.  Jill Bolte Taylor's "My Stroke of Insight"

I was so impressed with this I bought her book and really loved it.  It put a lot of things together for me.  If it's not a glimps into an afterlife it's certianly a glimps on letting go.

7/24/09 1:59 PM
WizzleTeatsv2

Atecexa - "I don't need a god to tell me killing is wrong"

Hitler didn't believe that killing was wrong, neither did Nero, Stalin, Lenin, Hussein, Castro etc...if it's just up to the individual to determine their own right and wrong who is to say that what they determine is wrong

That just it. It's always up to the individual. If you are a Christian, that is an individual choice to follow Christian morality.

One can also twist that morality to justify all sorts of immoral acts.

Morality is independent of any religious affiliation. Ultimately we decide for ourselves what moral code we will follow.

Pointing out that secular leaders have killed a lot of people in pursuit of political power doesn't change that fact.
9/19/09 1:07 AM
kimohapa

I think that the first respnse is the right one, good or bad what can you do? Why worry about it?
5/21/10 8:31 PM
morotetsuke
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you, especially as a mom, are not programmed to be ok with it. age and time, however, will fix this.

5/21/10 9:21 PM
killacox

you look hotter now than ages ago
5/21/10 9:47 PM
HELWIG

I also love the joy of simply being.
5/24/10 2:51 PM
meow mix
41 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can believe this thread reappears every now and then. 
9/27/12 2:14 AM
Posty Magee
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can.

Good thread.
9/27/12 11:25 AM
meow mix

Posty Magee - I can.

Good thread.

BTW, death and dying still freaks me out.

4/2/13 11:02 PM
RoidsGracie

Edited: 04/03/13 12:46 AM
Actually read through this thread for the first time because I've been going through similar thoughts myself - nice to see that people were sharing thoughts freely from all different angles without letting things get heated.
I guess what really troubles me about death is that if mortal life isn't a preparation for something more grand and enduring, then it doesn't seem to me to have much value in itself. Anything that is done in this life, from the greatest and most benevolent acts to the most despicable and evil deeds would just be a microscopic particle dropping into a mass ocean of nothingness. What is 80 years of bliss or of wretchedness compared to an eternity of nothing? I've always been bewildered by people who say that life being temporary just makes it more precious and that it means that you should be spending the time you have on worthwhile things. My thought about this is that if mortal life is all you have then it really doesn't matter what you spend it doing - whether it be worthwhile, good, enjoyable or the like. None of those categories would have any meaning in the face of eternity.
7/12/13 5:51 PM
Jericco

RoidsGracie - Actually read through this thread for the first time because I've been going through similar thoughts myself - nice to see that people were sharing thoughts freely from all different angles without letting things get heated.
I guess what really troubles me about death is that if mortal life isn't a preparation for something more grand and enduring, then it doesn't seem to me to have much value in itself. Anything that is done in this life, from the greatest and most benevolent acts to the most despicable and evil deeds would just be a microscopic particle dropping into a mass ocean of nothingness. What is 80 years of bliss or of wretchedness compared to an eternity of nothing? I've always been bewildered by people who say that life being temporary just makes it more precious and that it means that you should be spending the time you have on worthwhile things. My thought about this is that if mortal life is all you have then it really doesn't matter what you spend it doing - whether it be worthwhile, good, enjoyable or the like. None of those categories would have any meaning in the face of eternity.

The thing about life is that you are correct, in my opinion.

The problem becomes, at least while you're alive...that doing horrible shit fucks with your head.

The ONLY thing you have is memories and the experiences you create in your future. After that..it's as meaningless as life was before you were born.

You either enjoy it or waste it. I think the human experience is one of the most unique things in the universe and it's not worth wasting.

This is also why I feel no sympathy for those that commit suicide, everyone has the right to make that choice. Though it's easy for me to choose when it's between nothing(death) and something(life).

I've seen people say life has no value, it's only because they don't allow it to have value. Make it meaningful and stop crying about it. :)

TL;DR Live, love, laugh.
5/29/14 11:13 PM
TheHoarseWhisperer
71 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's safe to assume that once you die, that's it. Good night, Irene. 

That's why it's VERY important to 'live like you're dying' because really, you are. Everybody likes to assume that they will live to be 100 and that they have plenty of time in their life but people die young all the time. You could be killed, you could get cancer, you could get hit by a drunk driver when you walk out to your car next. A plane could suddenly come crashing down on your house tonight while you're asleep (sleep tight!). I hope none of that happens but it COULD happen. That's why I try to let everybody know how I feel, for better or for worse, and I try to keep my shit in order. I don't want to leave a messy apartment for the next person to clean up, I don't want to be so far in debt that it ruins my family, and I don't want people thinking I love/hate them when I don't.

Make every day count. 

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.