UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Premium Vodkas

5/4/09 12:05 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cujobrown
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crazy Zimmerman -  Belvedere tastes terrible imo.  And I don't really like Stoli either, but it's better than Belv.

I stick with ketel 1 and even Absolut. 

THIS.
5/4/09 12:28 PM
canuck34
43 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a decades long Vodka drinker. I still think that bang for the buck Stoli is the best. If you like super smooth and easy to drink, Grey Goose may be over marketed but it lives up to the hype. There are a tonne of great polish and russian vodkas, some super smooth, some with herbal flavors and they appeal to different tastes.

Belvedere tastes like crap.

What makes me laugh is when people order GG or some other premium vodka in a mixed drink. What a waste.
5/4/09 12:38 PM
sadic1
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As far as I can tell, there are at least 2 basic types of flavors for vodka, and most vodkas fall into one profile or the other. One is the Grey Goose type, which is a little sweeter to my taste, and the other is the Stoli type, which is a little more traditional, for lack of a better term. I like them both, but I find Smirnoff is of similar flavor type as Stoli, and is good for the money, and Ketel 1 is more like the Grey Goose. I also found a pretty cheap vodka called Pinnacle that is a good knockoff of the Grey Goose flavor.
5/4/09 12:40 PM
john76
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I either drink stoli or zyr
5/4/09 8:21 PM
Cryptic
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mapyca
5/4/09 10:01 PM
HarryLime

scab1 - The versions flavored with juniper and other botanicals.
5/4/09 10:04 PM
francoistank
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://bakonvodka.com/

bacon flavored vodka FTW
5/4/09 10:05 PM
Polaris
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HarryLime - 

Uhhh....Gin?
5/4/09 10:05 PM
francoistank
72 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/4/09 10:14 PM
HarryLime

Polaris - 
HarryLime - 

Uhhh....Gin?

Vodka is just flavorless Gin . . . it's for people who want to get drunk even though they don't like drinking.
5/4/09 10:18 PM
Joel
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Crazy Zimmerman -  Belvedere tastes terrible imo.   

if you were a girl and standing in front of me I'd slap you in the face!
5/4/09 10:22 PM
HarryLime

"One is the Grey Goose type, which is a little sweeter to my taste, and the other is the Stoli type, which is a little more traditional, for lack of a better term."

It's widely known that most "premium" Vodka's are actually about 1% glycerin -- it adds a touch of sweetness and body over more traditional russian style vodka.

So the same thing that makes your favorite Vodka 'smooth' also keeps your boyfriends skin nice and smooth.
5/4/09 10:44 PM
scab1
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Polaris -
HarryLime -
scab1 - The versions flavored with juniper and other botanicals.

Uhhh....Gin?

Exactly. Gin.
5/4/09 11:10 PM
Cire
265 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I only drink Tito's now. It is dirt cheap and one of the best(some consider it the best) vodka's made. It is the ONLY alcohol to ever sweep the double blind competiton.

" Tito's Handmade Vodka has gained market share thanks to some prestigious awards, affordable pricing, and word of mouth advertising. Currently, it is distributed coast-to-coast across North America and Canada.[2] Sales and distribution boomed in 2001 after Tito's Handmade Vodka unanimously won the Double Gold Medal for vodka at the World Spirit's Competition in San Francisco, beating out 71 other high-priced vodkas.[3] Also that year, it received a four-star ranking from Spirit Journal[4]and has just won four stars again in the latest edition. (2007)"
5/5/09 12:57 PM
sadic1
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HarryLime - "One is the Grey Goose type, which is a little sweeter to my taste, and the other is the Stoli type, which is a little more traditional, for lack of a better term."

It's widely known that most "premium" Vodka's are actually about 1% glycerin -- it adds a touch of sweetness and body over more traditional russian style vodka.

So the same thing that makes your favorite Vodka 'smooth' also keeps your boyfriends skin nice and smooth.

Ah, so that's the difference. For me, I prefer the Stoli, and Smirnoff really isn't bad for the money, but there was definitely something different about Grey Goose when I first tried it that seemed to lend itself to easily throwing back multiple shots.
5/5/09 4:25 PM
BigEyedFish

^ thats because it tastes like water
5/5/09 4:30 PM
john76
115 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

where's kotk1... he's all about vodka
5/5/09 4:31 PM
sadic1

Well, yeah, sort of like sweet, vodka flavored water. I lines up and downed 5 shots of it right before doing my "best man speech" at my stepbrother's wedding, and it worked like a charm, but I do sort of lean towards the Stoli. But everyone raves about Ketel 1, and I think it's fairly similar to Grey Goose.
5/5/09 4:36 PM
Crazy Zimmerman
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Vodka is not supposed to taste like anything.
5/5/09 4:40 PM
sadic1

Crazy Zimmerman - Vodka is not supposed to taste like anything.

I think you're confusing it with water.
5/5/09 4:47 PM
Crazy Zimmerman
248 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

sadic1 - 

I think you're confusing it with water.

No, at work I have 2 water bottles. The one with the vodka has a torn label.
5/5/09 4:59 PM
sadic1

lol, well it is true that judges prefer vodka while working because it doesn't have a smell...
5/5/09 5:20 PM
BigEyedFish

Im no authority on vodka, and I always thought this was the case but Im not so sure now. I actually prefer the the Polish varieties because they do taste like vodka - but smooth. I mean, Smirnoff really tastes like vodka but it hurts going down. Like Scotch whiskey (which I can speak to), intense flavor for me is good, as long as I dont pay for it going down...

Id like to know what connaiseurs say about the vodka taste issue...
5/5/09 5:24 PM
john76

never on ice and never with a chaser

if anything you eat something pickled or .... bacon!!... no shit... eat food right after the drink

that's what kotk1 said they do in russia

If you like the more russian styles (like Stoli) I suggest you try Zyr... it's moderately priced and really good
5/5/09 5:57 PM
Freeman
330 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigEyedFish -  for SP

They're selling these at a store near me for $50 but they're autographed by Dan Aykroyd! Sadly only the box is autographed and who wants to keep the box?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.