UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> PEC Tear

4/29/09 11:30 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
gryphonwrestler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have any of you had a pec tear? I tore my pec while lifting and recently had the surgery to repair it. How was your Physical Therapy, was it extremely painful? I am supposed to be attend a career enhancing school that requires a Physical Fitness Test in July and I am wondering if I will be able to do the pushups, or situps. Thanks.

Gryph
5/1/09 12:17 PM
Charlie Gordon

Had it done 2 months ago. Not that big a deal.

Physical therapy is coming along. Not painful at all. They take it slow, especially the first 2 months.

Another month and i'll be able to do push ups no problem. Maybe even in 2 weeks.
5/1/09 9:46 PM
gryphonwrestler

Thanks for the response.Good luck with your recovery as well.

Gryph
5/4/09 6:51 PM
WidespreadPanic

Suggest you consult your surgeon and, if necessary, get note from him and a deferral. Offer to substitute something other than pushups to prove your fitness. Should be able to work something out, especially if you look fit.

Good luck!

6/15/09 9:39 PM
dcvillain
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/19/09 2:25 PM
i have torn my pec (the muscle, not the tendon, twice) it is a little weaker then the other side, but not really noticable. Never needed the surgery as I was told they cannot sow the tissue together.

Good luck with the PT.
6/19/09 3:05 AM
HULKSMASH
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had the worst pec tear you can have. I was benching 405lbs for 10 reps. It felt like my chest exploded on rep #6. It tore from the humorous, and in the middle of the pectoralis itself. My entire pec turned purple all the way down to my forearm. There was a huge divit in the middle of my chest.. You knew damn well something wasnt right when you looked at it.
I had two surgeries performed on my pec. The doctor said attaching it to the humorous wasnt a problem, but sewing the pec to itself was like sewing mashed potatoes together.
PT was extremely painful. The therapist actually ripped open the incision while trying to stretch me out.. I had to go back and have it sewn back together.
That was back in 2001. Since then I can still bench heavy, and do a good amount of pushups, but no where near as much as I used to.
Good luck with the PT. Take it slow.
7/17/09 8:39 PM
GladiatorGannon
300 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

dcvillain - i have torn my pec (the muscle, not the tendon, twice) it is a little weaker then the other side, but not really noticable. Never needed the surgery as I was told they cannot sow the tissue together.

they frequently tell people that, and then when they're not satisfied with appearance/recovery, then suddenly it will magicly go from "physically impossible" to "possible".
7/17/09 10:37 PM
dcvillain
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i work in the medical field, and every doctor i have spoke to about this has said the same thing from coast to coast. if its not the tendon and just the muscle belly there really is nothing they can do, yet. There is that new artificial muscle they are working on that could be a possibility for the future though.

Like I said not really that big of a deal. You can see where the muscle tore but not to much of an issue.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.