UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> branford/wynton THINK OF ONE- monk

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/1/09 11:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
demandango
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not really interested in people who talk shit on wynton (i probably like their music too) but gotdang this is a jaw dropping performance. the arrangement is so tight, along with incredible improvisations, which are of course standard for these players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be-Crr9FIDc
5/4/09 4:15 AM
Thelonious
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think people shit on Wynton because they feel like
he's never found his own voice. I've really warmed to him recently. He was kind of anointed as the guy who was going to take the baton from the previous greats but it never really happened because he's more of a student of jazz than a player/composer.

If you look at his career as a band director and what he's done for music education, the man is amazing, but a lot of people were expecting him to progress the genre in the way Coltrane or Armstrong did. I don't think it's possible as jazz isn't in its infancy anymore and outside of fusion, there isn't a lot of virgin territory left.

That was a hot performance. I think that was kenny kirkland on keys and I love listening to him improvise.
5/7/09 1:32 PM
DasBeaver
120 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've never had a problem with Wynton either, though I can understand why some people diss him.

That was a smokin rendition!

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.