UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> ? 4 rottweiler owners

5/3/09 12:52 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
zarek66
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does your rottweiler make a growling noise at your house guests? i mean he actually growls all the meanwhile he leans up (side of his body leaning up against knees of guest). I've been told that rotti's are vocal animals and that it's not growling but a vocal form of affection. I don't know if this is true or not but my house guests feels apprehendsive about it. I try to teach him not to do this by saying no and pulling him away. any thoughts?
5/3/09 6:16 AM
smileythai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Some dogs are more vocal than others. Whether it's a threat display on the dog's part depends on the environment(ie: what person/action is triggering it) and the dog's body language.

If the dog is pushing up on someone in a friendly way, giving them short, low pitched growly-moans, then no, it's probably not a problem. But if it's the dog pushing up on someone in a tense/stiff, ting manner, then you need to address it via training.
5/4/09 3:24 PM
zarek66
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's a friendly lleaning against my friends' legs. I'm 99% sure it's friendly but nonetheless my friends find it nerve racking. Is there anything that can be done about this?
5/5/09 12:49 AM
smileythai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yes, it can/will be resolved via obedience training. Instill in the dog behavioral boundries(ie: it's not pertmitted to collide with guests as they enter the house) and instruct guests not to tempt the dog by inviting it to come near them when they enter, or to pet the dog at any time.

After enough consistent training(how long it takes depends on the dog and the owners dedication to training) the dog will remain calm/stable and undistracted by the presence of guests in the house, and will more or less blend into the background.
5/5/09 1:39 AM
zarek66

thanks smiley I'll give it my best

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.