UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> Aussies in abu dhabi pro gi?

5/3/09 5:21 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LEMon
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/03/09 5:21 AM

I cant find any of them in the lineups or the results? Whats going on? Did they spellt he names wrong? Guga? Treko? Perosh?
5/3/09 5:54 AM
dojo stormer
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/03/09 8:09 AM
guga lost to renato tavares.can't find anything else.some surprising results but i think the 5 and 6 min time limit threw it out a bit.
5/3/09 8:09 AM
walbjj
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not muchinfo on the prelim matches at all
5/3/09 9:14 PM
Old Boxer

Looked like Treko lost to Marcelo Garcia.
5/4/09 9:16 AM
MMAFun

Yeah, anyone have any news Im sure someone from Roots or Spma would know somenthing.
5/4/09 8:23 PM
byron2001

Was Treko representing Australia? Because I thought Talgat won the under 76kg division?
5/4/09 10:17 PM
unclefu

taken from http://www.allbjjnews.com/story.php?title=world-pro-jj-cup-winners-list

The champions of the five black belt categories at the World Pro JJ Cuphave been defined. The finals are over in done in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.

Under 65kg

In the third meeting between the two, Rafael Mendes finally managed to overcome three-time world champion Rubens Charles. In a back-and-forth final, the Ramon Lemos student, from Rio Claro, managed a takedown with 10 seconds left till the end and took gold with a score of 6 to 4. “In the two fights I lost, I played defense and this time I went on the attack,” Rafael said in summing up his strategy.

Under 75kg

In a same-academy final, there wasn’t much action. The decision to allow two teammates to face each other in the final didn’t favor combativeness. Michael Langhi and Marcelo Garcia had a monotonous match that ended 0 to 0 even in advantage points. The ref handed it to Langhi, who played guard the whole time. Garcia was visibly put off by the outcome.

Under 85kg

Tarsis Humphreys was the bane of the Estima family in Abu Dhabi. In the absolute, he overcame Braulio and at weight beat Victor. In the final, a sweep concluded the category. “Victor has a dangerous guard, always on the attack. I played my game well, I managed to sweep and not mess up, since in six minutes there’s no coming back,” assessed Tarsis, between laughing fits.

Under 95kg

Another of the evening’s most hard-nosed was Rodolfo Vieira, the black belt hunter. First he beat up Braulio in the semifinal and in the decisive match he left no room for Antonio Peinado to work. In a hotly-disputed match, the threats of passing guard guaranteed three advantages and a gold medal for the brown belt. “I suffered an injury just two weeks ago and even I didn’t believe I had a chance, but with the support of my family and partners from GFT, I did it,” celebrated Rudolf.

Over 95kg

There was no revenge. In the sequel to the final of the Brazilian qualifiers, in March, Alexandre de Souza once again got the best of Gabriel Vella, a sweep at the start followed by two near mounts in quick succession paid out in two points and two advantages. Vella reciprocated with a sweep, but it was too little too late to turn the tables.

The World Pro JJ Cup had a gala night this Saturday. Sheikh Mohammad Bin Zayed Al Nahyan paid a visit to the Zayed Sport City Tennis Court and celebrated from the stands, most vocal after the victory of Yahya Mansoor, a soldier from the UAE army, who snatched gold against Egyptian Tarek Mattar.

Check out the photogalleries from the event by clicking here and here.

More coverage of the World JJ Cup to come here on GRACIEMAG.com

SOme of the videos are up here http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=EmiratesJiuJitsu&view=videos
5/4/09 10:40 PM
Elvis
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah not sure what was going on. There were guys there competing for Australia who did not qualify. Sad when this sort of thing goes on for the guys who worked for the shot.

Here are the brackets.

65kg: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/Stalkachu/65kg.jpg

75kg: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/Stalkachu/75kg.jpg

85kg-1: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/Stalkachu/85kg-1.jpg
85kg-2: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/Stalkachu/85kg-2.jpg

95kg: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/Stalkachu/95kg.jpg

+95kg: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/Stalkachu/o95kg.jpg
5/4/09 11:51 PM
bluesky

I could be wrong but I thought the comp is open to anyone who wish to enter at their own expense.

The winners of the regional qualifiers got all expenses paid.
5/5/09 1:03 AM
Elvis
249 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Really, I never new that. Well that is an interesting fact I wish I'd known about earlier.

Elvis

5/5/09 1:27 AM
dojo stormer

you pay you play.

it was mentioned on their website. think it was $80us before a certain date and then it went to $100us after that date.
5/5/09 7:21 AM
walbjj
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes, u pay to enter, but of course, u gotta pay for all the travel expenses as well.
would u have paid the $3k plus that it probably would have cost to enter? thats a lot of cheddar for what is essentially a 5 min roll
5/7/09 12:23 AM
blakGSR
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Damn, I bitch about the cost of driving to Sydney for a comp.
Trekko must love his jhoo jhitzu.
5/7/09 12:57 AM
GeezerDownUnder

Did Treko and Thiago pay for their tickets? Seems like a co-incidence that an organiser was there, plus a student of an organiser.
5/7/09 1:26 AM
walbjj

im not sure what conspiracy theory ur trying to put forward, but unless paulo, adcc, an airline company, a hotel or motel business and associated restaurants, etc were all in cahoots, then i think it would be safe to suggest that treko and thiago paid for their trip in some way to emirates
5/7/09 1:47 AM
GeezerDownUnder

Not a consipiracy theory Wal, just wondering if, in return for organising the event, they were gifted with a ticket each. And if so, there's nothing wrong with it, good on them.
5/7/09 7:54 AM
LEMon
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As i understand Trekko had sponsers of his own that sponsered him.
5/8/09 4:34 AM
bluesky

Stefenn Kreg won the blue belt under 93kg!
5/8/09 9:03 AM
walbjj

they had weight div for the blue belts? i thought it was an absolute blue belt div.
if so, good work. might we see him competing inteh purples now, seeing as he bested the worlds best
5/8/09 7:52 PM
JJK
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah I think the coverage for the event really sucked and needs sone serious attention next time round but the event is still great for BJJ!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.