UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Used G35/37, CTS-V, or new Genesis?

5/4/09 12:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
newera
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

May sound like a strange comparison, and is certainly never one I thought I'd make, but curious if anyone wants to give their two cents on these prospects.

I'm going to be in the market for a car soon and want a sporty, semi-lux coupe for daily driving. Don't want to spend much more than $30k and really like the Infiniti G37s (and G35s) as well as the Caddy CTS-Vs, but new these are out of the question (especially the Caddy). Meanwhile, the new Hyundai Genesis actually doesn't look bad and seems to perform decently.

So, is it worth it to pick up a used car like one of these, and should I really even be considering the Hyundai? My family has had about 4-5 Hyundais and never had problems with any of them, although I've read different experiences on here. Thoughts?
5/4/09 1:48 PM
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CTS-V, not even a contest.

Mark
5/4/09 11:23 PM
Cire
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a 2006 G35 coupe. I absolutely love it. A mix of luxury and sporty. It is a definite head turner & panty dropper.

Very similar to mine:

5/4/09 11:25 PM
Cire
266 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know much about the other cars, but all the sites(kbb, edmunds, & Consumer Reports) have very high ratings for the G35/37.
5/5/09 2:28 AM
newera
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, looks-wise I think I'm always going to find the Infiniti nicest, followed closely with the CTS-V. Performance I know it isn't much of a contest and the caddy should dominate. My issue seems to be a matter of how reliable the car will be and, without a warranty, how much maintenance will end up being if this is something I want to keep for many years. And although I have a bad streak of grossly over-modifying cars, I'd like to leave this one alone, so that should help a bit. I'm going to start getting some test drives in soon and maybe that'll help me make up my mind. I'm in no rush.
5/5/09 4:42 PM
wheeels

G35/G37.
5/6/09 12:47 PM
Mark1

"My issue seems to be a matter of how reliable the car will be and, without a warranty, how much maintenance will end up being if this is something I want to keep for many years."

CTS rates very highly on nearly every ranking published -be it quality, durability, Consumer Reports, etc etc

Mark
5/7/09 8:07 AM
newera

Edited: 05/07/09 11:03 AM
Mark1 - "My issue seems to be a matter of how reliable the car will be and, without a warranty, how much maintenance will end up being if this is something I want to keep for many years."

CTS rates very highly on nearly every ranking published -be it quality, durability, Consumer Reports, etc etc

Mark

This is true, I've been looking at these reports lately. Curious why, though, there seems to be so many '05s on the market. Was that a bad year or something? *EDIT* Or, more likely because the warranty is 4 year/50k mi and it is, what-do-ya-know, four years out...perhaps people upgraded when the warranty period ended? I'm actually finding a decent number of them with 30-40k mi for around $25k. Not bad considering 4 years ago they were likely bought for just over $50k. I wonder how much more they'd depreciate over the next couple years.
5/7/09 12:05 PM
Mark1

Powertrain warranty is 5year/100k I believe.

You are seeing alot of cars coming off leases.

Mark
5/7/09 1:33 PM
Man in Block
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you want to modify, you can make crazy power out of the LS2 in the CTS-V. Might be too tempting though...
5/7/09 4:04 PM
newera

Man in Block - If you want to modify, you can make crazy power out of the LS2 in the CTS-V. Might be too tempting though...

Yeah, I know the LS_ motors all seem to respond well to mods, which is a very tempting prospect for someone like myself, but I'd like to think that the car would have sufficient power that I could leave it alone...at least for longer than my last cars.
5/11/09 1:44 PM
Road Warrior Fin
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The LS2 > All

If you do think about getting some mods - save the urge, save up the money until you have enough for a good procharger.

I made the mistake of throwing bolt-ons that ended up costing me just as much as a charger would have and got only 390rwhp when the charger put on right could have netted me closer to 520rwhp.

5/12/09 11:54 PM
wrestlerguy04
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'd go with a used G35 and do a few mods..
5/15/09 5:57 AM
newera

Road Warrior Fin -  The LS2 > All

If you do think about getting some mods - save the urge, save up the money until you have enough for a good procharger.

I made the mistake of throwing bolt-ons that ended up costing me just as much as a charger would have and got only 390rwhp when the charger put on right could have netted me closer to 520rwhp.

Is that 520rwhp with stock exhaust? How well do the stock internals hold up with forced induction? Wait, I thought I said no mods, dammit!
5/15/09 9:01 AM
Road Warrior Fin
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

newera - 
Road Warrior Fin -  The LS2 > All

Is that 520rwhp with stock exhaust? How well do the stock internals hold up with forced induction? Wait, I thought I said no mods, dammit!

What some people do on the stock block is amazing.  520rwhp with just the right pump, injectors and tune = all good.

5/15/09 1:29 PM
Govnor

G35 is pretty good in Gran Turismo
5/15/09 1:51 PM
SeanMac

Edited: 05/15/09 1:56 PM
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5987/newimagea.jpg

picked up my g37s 2 weeks ago. Love it. Was considering the g35 but I liked the upgraded interior and tech of the 37. I didnt want to spend 30k on something i wasn't totally satisfied with.. so I spent 38 even though I probably can't afford it
5/15/09 3:06 PM
newera

Road Warrior Fin - 
 What some people do on the stock block is amazing.  520rwhp with just the right pump, injectors and tune = all good.

Hmm, good to know.

SeanMac - http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5987/newimagea.jpg

picked up my g37s 2 weeks ago. Love it. Was considering the g35 but I liked the upgraded interior and tech of the 37. I didnt want to spend 30k on something i wasn't totally satisfied with.. so I spent 38 even though I probably can't afford it

Nice car, impressions thus far?
5/17/09 4:22 PM
newera

Edited: 05/17/09 4:24 PM
darkborne - Thought about an 08 TL type S 6 speed?Briefly, yes. Acura/Honda makes good, reliable cars and the TL looks nice. My primary gripe about it though is that it is FWD. I'm sure its still a fun car to drive, and I may even go check them out, but I'm really leaning toward a RWD car.

*EDIT* Just noted that they '09s have an AWD option, but that puts the price up above $40k, so it's a little beyond where I've got my eyes set at the moment.
5/20/09 4:05 AM
Pig Bun
118 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOTS of deals right now, and a little patience pays off!

The wife and I have looked at Infiniti G's and M's, new G8 GT's, CTS-V's, Avelon's, and Audi A6 and A8's. We found some great deals on all of them - depending on the year, all can be had for 25-30 in REALLY good shape.

It was the last car on the list that I thought we'd end up with, but we picked up an '06 A6 Quattro with just 20k on the clock and great warranty for $27k and some change. It was listed at $30,999. Within hours of buying it, 3 different dealers with M35's called and/or e-mailed me to let me know "their bosses" had decided to come down even lower on their "lowest price" that each had quoted me in previous days.
10/6/09 6:31 PM
DevilDawg
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a G35 Sedan, and I love that thing. Wish I could have the Coupe but that model won't work when I drive to Costco to do groceries or haul the family around.
10/7/09 4:27 PM
whiteghost
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

03-04 CTS-V (ls6 motor) have a garbage rear diff that breaks frequently and costs 5k to replace. The ls2 equipped ones don't have this problem. Otherwise they are awesome vehicles and are definitely a notch above the g35/37
10/7/09 8:18 PM
White347LX

Those Nissans are nice cars, but I'm all about the power so I may lean toward the CTS V.
10/12/09 9:09 PM
stevekt
566 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What about the new Taurus SHO? It has AWD, a twin turbo V6, 365 hp, and 350 tq.
10/17/09 6:05 PM
newera

Ended up getting an 07 Mazdaspeed3 with 15k mi for less than $20k. Was impressed after the test drive - respectably quick car for cheap that will garner less attention and hopefully lower maintenance costs than some of the others I was considering. Been fun so far.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.