UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Who has access to court documents?

5/5/09 1:32 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
AtomicElbow
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Okay I admit part of this is inspired by Couture's issues, but I was wondering if it is possible to get court documents on him or anyone else? Say if someone files for divorce, is that filing automatically available to the general public?

Or even if you owned a property, and wanted to rent to someone without a lease (under the table)- how hard would it to be find out if they filed bankrupcy, criminal record, etc?

Is that person's consent required if you wanted to find out about their divorce or bankrupcy?
5/5/09 1:47 PM
pm1964
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most court filings are public records, and many are available online, depending on the jurisdiction. The problem is that you will have to search mulitple databases to try to find things, by county for example on teh state level, or by each individual district court on the federal level.
5/12/09 1:39 PM
AtomicElbow
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Then I guess Captain A is about to get all his dirty laundry aired
6/1/09 1:29 PM
AtomicElbow

piratepirate - 

Once the case is closed they are public documents.
You can go to the county courthouse and pay for copies.
Or attempt to find them online.

quote]

That has me wondering then how certain people have access to details of Couture's divorce filings/ details already
7/20/09 5:34 PM
Tahiti Bo
62 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retired, Tahuna
 You can get them yourself.

Go to PACER and get an account - then go to database at the website of the court.

Many docs are public record before case is closed.
7/22/09 5:33 PM
AtomicElbow

^ thanks

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.