UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Attn: Dark Knight

5/5/09 2:58 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Chilito
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey, you mentioned on another thread that you have a .40 Glock. Given that a .45 can do anything a .40 can do, and that the .45 is alot more common (easier to get ammo), what made you go with a .40?

Anyone else feel free to comment on the relative merits of the two calibers.
5/7/09 3:07 PM
Dark Knight
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have the Glock 22 in 40 and i have two Springfield 1911's in 45, one full size one micro compact with a three in barrel.

I got the glock only because it was a good deal, I wasnt looking for one.

But the Glock is a great gun, its a proven gun, many reasons to own one over the 1911, but I prefer the 1911.

But if I were to choose a polymer gun in 40 or 9mm I like the H&K P30. http://www.hk-usa.com/p30_general.html

The reason is the grip feels great, above all how a gun feels to you is very important. The grip can be adjusted fron, back and both sides. What I really like is the magazine release is on the trigger guard, this means if I shoot three rounds at something and there is a pause in the action, I can keep the gun on target, use my right pointer finger to drop the magazine without getting off target, reload and never had my sights off the target (you have one in the chamber if you need it during this, and if you dont know how long a fire fight will last you want a fresh magazine)

The decocker is located on the back of the slide, so I can again stay on target and use my left thumb to decock the gun. It is double action so if I have to fire, just pull the trigger.

It will be my next gun.

As far as 40 vs 45, the 45 is a proven manstopper, but the 40 has a great track record. Police went from the 9mm to the .40 across the country and they are happy with the results. If you have to fire many rounds fast you dont want a round that is too big to handle.

I had the full size 1911 first and had no problem shooting two or three rounds fast with it, but the micro compact kicks alot more than I thought it would. After buying it I had some work done on it, so I want my money out of the investment. I shoot it alot so I can shoot it well.

I would reccomend a 40 or 9mm for a micro compact.

Years ago the 9mm was a crappy round, but todays technology has improved the bullets performance and the power it puts out. I like the 40 over the 9 because I want a little more power behind my rounds and it doesnt kick that much more.

The 40 is cheaper to shoot than the 45.
5/7/09 3:07 PM
Dark Knight
480 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a good question and will take a while to give full answers because it opens up many more questions.
5/7/09 3:15 PM
Dark Knight

The short history on the 40 is it started life as the 10mm for the FBI. This is a great hard hitting round, today the 10mm is used for hunting more than self defense.

Because of the power there was a load created for the 10mm called the FBI load, a 10 mm light.

Then someone realized you didnt need all that shell for the lighter load nad the 40 came from it. The 10mm is .4 in diam.

(Another example of this is the 9mm, it is .357 in diam. So the 380, 38 spl, 357 mag and 9mm are the same size bullet)

For more on it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.40_S%26W
5/7/09 3:18 PM
Dark Knight

The 125 grain 357 round has always been considered the best round for police work. But its a revolver round.

In 1994 the .40 was necked down and the 357 sig was born.

You can change the barrels on many .40's to 357 sig and the gun will shoot both rounds. So I can buy the 357 sig barrel for my glock, drop it in and use the same magazines.
5/7/09 3:18 PM
Dark Knight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_handgun_cartridges

Info on handgun rounds, very interesting
5/7/09 3:28 PM
Dark Knight

I like the history of guns, actually history on almost anything.

When you look back at the 357 magnum and 44 mag you see how technology changes performance

The 38 special and 44 special are old rounds from the early 1900's. The 38 is actually .357 in diameter and the 44 is .429 in diameter. They were generically called 38 and 44 from the ball round they replaced from the 1800's

The powder used for them origionally was not as powerfull as today and it was bigger flakes.

So as powders became stronger you used less powder. If you open a 38, 357 or 44 you will see the case is only about half full.

So when Elmer Kieth started experimenting with wildcat ruonds he created the magnums. The reason they are longer than the 38 or 44 is so you couldnt accedently place them in the wrong gun. A 44 spl will not handle the power of the 44 magnum. But the magnums will shoot the shorter cases.

So, if you take a .357 bullet and want to run it through an automatic, powders now produce more power, so you can use a shorter case and creat rounds like the 9mm.
5/8/09 10:10 AM
paw
1562 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice thread....thanks DK!
2/11/10 1:25 PM
BobAsh
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dark Knight is a sharp guy.

2/11/10 2:56 PM
Dark Knight

Thanks, Its a cool hobby
2/18/10 2:32 PM
TexDeuce
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You really think the .45 kicks more than the .40 in comparable handguns? You didn't outright say it, but it seemed that's what you were alluding to. The .45 might be a bit more of a push back, but I think the .40 flips the muzzle up quite a bit more.

But I shoot my titanium .357 mag with hot magnum rounds for fun at the range so recoil doesn't really bother me. Just curious.
2/20/10 11:53 AM
Dark Knight

TexDeuce - You really think the .45 kicks more than the .40 in comparable handguns? You didn't outright say it, but it seemed that's what you were alluding to. The .45 might be a bit more of a push back, but I think the .40 flips the muzzle up quite a bit more.

But I shoot my titanium .357 mag with hot magnum rounds for fun at the range so recoil doesn't really bother me. Just curious.

The recoil in the full size 1911 isnt that bad. From the micro compact it was alot more. I didnt think the recoil from the full size was that bad, so when I bought the mcro compact it was not as smooth. I have been shoting a long time and shouldnt have been a suprise.

But everything is realative. If you are shooting hot loads in a light gun it may not bother you. And training will will increase capabilities.
2/21/10 9:33 AM
Willybone
443 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TexDeuce -  But I shoot my titanium .357 mag with hot magnum rounds for fun at the range so recoil doesn't really bother me.

Call me a sissy if you want, but fuuuuck that.
I found practicing with regular 38s in my (very heavy) Chief's Special to be like catching rocks barehanded.
My neighbor's ultralight snubby is even less pleasant.
2/21/10 4:04 PM
TexDeuce
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 02/21/10 4:04 PM
Willybone - 
TexDeuce -  But I shoot my titanium .357 mag with hot magnum rounds for fun at the range so recoil doesn't really bother me.

Call me a sissy if you want, but fuuuuck that.
I found practicing with regular 38s in my (very heavy) Chief's Special to be like catching rocks barehanded.
My neighbor's ultralight snubby is even less pleasant.

Ha I won't call you a sissy, most would agree with you. It is pretty funny to see the fireball that comes out of that titanium snubnose with hot Speer rounds flying out. I like to shoot it first because the recoil on my other guns doesn't feel bad at all after shooting that thing. But yeah, the web of my hand definitely feels it the next day.

And for the record, when I carry I load the first 4 shots with .38 +P and the last with .357 mag. Less recoil on the first shots equals more accuracy and quicker follow up.
7/17/10 8:46 PM
Dark Knight

t
3/28/11 7:45 PM
Dark Knight

t

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.