UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> How purebred are UKC and ADBA APBT's?

5/8/09 2:48 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Roy Batty
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.southernpridepitbulls.com/dogs/10-05%20006.jpg
THAT dog is UKC registered?!?!?! Are ADBA ones always definitely purebred? My idiot friend wants one, and I'm trying to keep him from getting screwed out of his money.
5/8/09 2:51 AM
Roy Batty
138 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Heck, while I'm at it, this dog from the same kennel looks to have some Corso in it! http://www.southernpridepitbulls.com/dogs/2_3%20127.jpg
5/8/09 9:59 AM
MikeZev
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

short answer: those are not pit bulls

FRAT answer: there are several ways dog like that can gain registration. the first is paper hanging, or flat out lying about the sire and dam of the litter. this is very common and loosely policed because it generates a ton of money for the registry.

second, if you continually breed the shortest, widest dog to the another short wide dog for enough generations you will change the look of the dog drastically. canine genetics are much more moldable than human genetics.

personally, those dogs look like muts to me. they may have some pit bull blood in them but they are not tru to type pit bulls to the pooint that i would not even refer to them as such. i feel bad for that animal because he will most likely have health problems and he should never have been bred. also when you mix breeds like that you never know what the temperment is going to be like. its rolling the dice big time if you have kids other animals or are not an experienced handler. even then, it could be potentially dangerous.

the second dog could be from ukc stock which is basically american staffordshire terrier blood. amstaffs were bred from the apbt but to a different standard which ended in making them a completely different breed. a show breed. very few are bred for performance. i dont know a lot about amstaffs but the only ones i have seen that are sorta bred on performance come from hartagold kennels.

neither dog is worth anything more than a companion and for that you might as well save 2k and get a dog from a rescue that can tell you about the dog's temperment.
5/8/09 12:29 PM
Roy Batty

MikeZev - short answer: those are not pit bulls

FRAT answer: there are several ways dog like that can gain registration. the first is paper hanging, or flat out lying about the sire and dam of the litter. this is very common and loosely policed because it generates a ton of money for the registry.

Thanks for the info! Yeah, I didn't think there was any way those were really purebred, even if they're "registered."
5/8/09 12:39 PM
MikeZev
38 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

the apbt has gone through a lot of bs over the past 20 years as far as breeding fads go. there are still a decent amount of people breeding real deal dogs though.

a real deal apbt means a lot of different things to different people though. in the most literal sense of the term, it refers to a dog that has been tested against another dog and proved game.

since i am into sports (weight pull), for me a real deal dog is one whith good structure, stamina and a very strong work drive. the temperment of the classic also has to be there, with exception to dog aggression. no use to me and it only makes things more difficult.
5/8/09 1:30 PM
HuntingtonPUNK
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MikeZev is correct and youre friend really needs to be careful not being suckered into someone breeding junk, he'll run into health problems if not bred to standard, this is a very healthy breed if bred right

don't let him buy anything thats blue, thats a start and the parents shouldnt weigh 90 lbs either

ADBA is the way to go but just because they're ADBA registered doesnt mean theyre bred to the standard but it's a good place to start

he should go to some local ADBA shows and meet some people, theirs weight pull and conformation shows there
5/8/09 1:32 PM
HuntingtonPUNK

Edited: 05/08/09 1:36 PM
www.game-dog.com

www.pitbull-chat.com (probably the best all around place for information and the members are friendliest). Have him talk to a fat man named boogieman over there, he's a pet bull owner thats deep into the conformation shows, he has aweseome looking dogs and can direct him. Have him study "Boogieman" bloodline, those are very well rounded, sound dogs, beatifull also. Bred to standard and can do any task

www.pitbullforum.com

thats plenty of studying for him right there, gamedog poeple, pet people, weight pull, conformation, rescue, they're all on those forums all day long
5/8/09 1:41 PM
HuntingtonPUNK

have him get a dog here, I recommend them, honest people with really nice boogieman blood dogs

theyre in florida, will ship

http://www.blaizenkennels.com/
5/8/09 5:03 PM
MikeZev

one last confusing bit about registries:

the AKC does not recognize any other registry. they only have the amstaff.

in the UKC you can register an AKC registered amstaff as a pit bull. the AKC will not let you register your UKC pit bull as an amstaff.

The ADBA does not recognize and other registry but you can register your ADBA pit bull as a pit bull in the UKC.

In summary, the UKC will take whatever the fuck you got!
5/10/09 11:51 PM
Roy Batty

Thanks for all the help, guys. Those Boogieman line dogs look great! LMAO @ "In summary, the UKC will take whatever the fuck you got!" That's sad to see.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.