UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Well.... It might be new car time....

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/10/09 7:47 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
big_slacker
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Due to unforseen circumstances, its unlikely we'll be keeping my wife's scion.

I know I was thinking about used 911's but this is going to be our only car and its just not going to be practical. Thats gonna be on the back burner for a while.

So.... a few things I've been thinking of:

One, a small/mid sized sedan. BMW 3 series or 5 series, audi A4/A6, something like that.

Two, a hatchback. My wife is in love with the mazda 3. The wrx wagon might not be bad either.

Three, a smaller truck/SUV. I like the new tacoma, maybe an f150 would be ok as well.

Anything I'm missing in the 20k used range?
5/11/09 5:12 AM
LetsTalkItOut
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Something used, 20k, and reliable will probably could be

Mid sedan
Camry, Accord, Altima, TL, Legacy

SUV/Truck
FJ Cruiser, 4 Runner, Pilot, Element, Forrester

I would assume newer Camry or Accord would be really reliable, better mpg than a truck, enough room to fit luggage in the back, can comfortably fit 4 adults. Well rounded daily driver.

Like a newer body style 5 series won't be found in a used lot for 20k with relatively low mileage. The older body style will be out or near the end of warranty I would think.
5/11/09 8:48 AM
walbjj
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ur obviously talking about the previous shape wrx, cos the current shape is a hatch, not a wagon.
also, the new shape wrx also has the sedan now.
im guessing u want performance seeing as u were looking at a 911, and getting a bog stocko 3 series or a4 wont float ur boat. if thats the case, then definitley look at getting the previous gen "hawkeye" wrx in wagon, cant go wrong. or if u have it where u r, look at the subaru liberty
5/11/09 10:32 AM
wrestlerguy04
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can get a nice G35 for around 20. It's what I'd get probly.
5/12/09 9:27 AM
big_slacker
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TalkItOut, even though this will be our only car I don't want to go TOO boring/practical. My dad drive a camry, most boring car EVA!

Practical is one thing, but I want to enjoy the drive. For the most part I ride my sportbike to work. But I occasionally like the car so something different is nice. Also I need someplace to put my mountain bike to get to the trailhead. Possibly kayaks, snowboards and whatever else I need up there.

I'm leaning more and more and more towards the comfort/sedan. 5 series, maybe a 3 series. Roof rack on top.

Wallbjj, yeah, the previous gen wagon. I am a little concerend about getting a WRX that isn't beat on by some ricer kid. I don't think I've seen one around here without a fart can exhaust.
5/17/09 9:01 PM
Cire
798 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I second the G35, great sporty car with a backseat. Mine is 2006 coupe. Nice acceleration, decent gas milage, and rates great for safety & maintenance.
5/18/09 6:29 PM
Ponyboy
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

G35 sedan or a used lexus GS430.

Anything else will feel like a toy.
6/9/09 12:42 AM
stevekt
924 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm pretty sure you'll be getting the car mentioned immediately after "My wife is in love with the...".
6/9/09 1:04 AM
macdawg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what happened to the scion???

I'll definetely backup the Acura TL recommendation as a friend of mine has this and is an amazing ride and I'm sure these would last forever.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=ascending&sortfield=MILES+ascending%2cPRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-|E-|M-_1_|B-21000|A-3000|H-|D-_7_|N-N|R-75|I-1%2c7|P-MILES+ascending%2cPRICE+descending|Q-ascending|X-popular|Z-66203&aff=national&paId=311043968&recnum=1&leadExists=true

here is a local one black on black with 52k miles asking $18k. For $20k you can find some that are at about 35k-40k miles.

It will be very easy to find a G35 in your budged under 40k miles.
6/9/09 9:12 AM
big_slacker

Contract problems with toyota. As in we don't have a valid one due to a paperwork screw up on their part. They said they will be happy to let us keep paying for the car, but won't draw up a new contract. Meaning they could repo the car at will regardless of how much I have in it.

Well, we're looking at just paying it off at this point and keeping it. I really don't want to do that as we're planning on a move and need relocation funds. But I'd hate to lose what we've already paid into the car, and it is a nice little commuter.

In any case, if we decide to do this she'll keep the scion and I'll get a used wrangler for myself. But again, I'm annoyed at the whole situation.
6/10/09 11:38 AM
Man in Block
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My Girlfriend had problems with Toyota's financing department too. They must have monkeys working there.
6/10/09 6:07 PM
big_slacker

Yeah, they really do seem to suck. We're in a recession, I'm telling them I'd like to continue paying them money and its a big burden I guess. I was pretty put off about the whole thing and ready to just give them their car back, hence the thread. My cheapness kicked back in though.

We'll see, I'm in the process of looking at a job in curacao and may just give toyota the car back anyway if I get it.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.