UnderGround Forums

FilmmakerGround >> Royalty Free Music for Documentary

5/11/09 6:15 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JBALL
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are the restrictions of using commercially available rock like Metallica and using it in a documentary...ven if the documentary isnt being sold for profit? Also, does anyone have experience with royalty free music? Is there a particular site that everyone goes to get it?
5/12/09 2:47 PM
JBALL
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bueller, Bueller, Bueller, Bueller 
5/13/09 1:58 AM
JBALL

chirp chirp chirp...

I guess all the film makers are out making films and the wannabe's are on this board wondering where the hell they get their music!
5/20/09 1:59 AM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I doubt it's okay to use something like Metallica, regardless of whether it's for profit or not. The LegalGround might be a good place to ask.
5/20/09 7:35 PM
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My experience with royalty free websites is that they suck, but that experience is dated; maybe there are some that are better now.

Copyrighted is copyrighted & your lack of revenue has zilch to do with that. Ixnay on the Etallicamay. You might find major artists that are willing to sign away the rights if the docu serves their agenda, but for sure don't cut anything based on a prayer. Get it in writing up front.

If you a friend who is a film/telecom/communications/production major, or employed in that field, they probably have access to a library like Network Music or whatever that you can sift through & license via the contact information on the label.
6/17/09 11:13 PM
daddyfatsacks
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Royalty free sites are out there but the quality can vary. What's your price range? Usually the better sounding stuff is more expensive. WWE has used some of these songs for their wrestlers in the past. (example of such: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khrFw4mrPPA)

I'll be willing to those some tracks at you if you want (instrumentals).
7/15/09 4:48 AM
ShaqNoob
90 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey brother check this site out: http://opsound.org/
7/17/09 11:38 PM
AlexAssassin
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I always enjoy freeplaymusic.com  You can search by instruments, feeling, and genre.  They list charges for using their music but I've used them on websites, cartoons, and movies and never paid a cent.  I'm a bastard.  Enjoy!

-The Dude
10/4/09 6:02 PM
tysonoff
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://incompetech.com/m/c/royalty-free/ This is the one I always use.
8/23/10 9:21 AM
wingsmma
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

go to stockmusic.ne   stockmusic.net
excellent sellections......not cheap....generally about $25/song but you get license to use the music
8/23/10 1:16 PM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anyone tried musicalley.com? I haven't really looked into it, but I hear it's free for Podcasts as long as you give them credit.

Not sure if it's limited to podcasts, or is allowed with any online movie.
9/7/10 9:01 PM
Demitrius Barbito
40 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do all my own music. Check some of it here:

9/10/10 10:59 PM
Vegaschowder

I too do my own music since I'm a musician.
11/25/10 10:55 PM
johnnypayne
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

4Later
1/17/11 9:46 AM
Devlyn
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 01/17/11 9:47 AM

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.