UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Mechanic trying to rip me off, what are my options

5/14/09 1:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Noose
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is the scenario: My wifes engine started knocking. This is a 2001 toyota camry, paid off. Upon further inspection, there was a crack in the block, engine was gonna need to be replaced. Found a mechanic, said it was going to be about $2800 with a 100,000 miles/3 years warranty. Very borderline in my opinion, but her parents had the cash and I didnt want a car payment, so we said OK fix it. Well, pretty soon that 2800 turned into $4500. I was fucking pissed, but I know how that shit goes. You open up something like that and pretty soon you find yourself replacing a bunch of other shit while your at it. Shop calls, says the car is ready to be picked up. My wife picks it up, doesnt even make it back to her work before the engine overheats, check engine light comes on, spedometer goes haywire, engine reving up and down out of control, tranny slipping in and out of gear while going down the road, leaving my wife stranded for two hours on the side of the road witing on the shop to come towe her car back. They call today saying the car is once again ready to be picked up, but they want us to pay another $80 for the towe, $60 dollars for a diagnostic fee, and another 120 for parts and labor. I called the shop and they said they arent gonna budge on that extra money. We already paid the 4500 before we picked the car up the first time. Is there anything I can do aside from going up there with a couple of hard pipe hittin niggas and having em go to work on the holmes with a pair of pliars and a blow torch?
5/14/09 1:33 PM
Kip Kinkle
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That's easy, just hop in your time machine and take your car to a reputable mechanic.
5/14/09 1:40 PM
cottonzway
608 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Them them you are contacting the BBB and a lawyer if they don't fix it ASAP and FOLLOW THROUGH on that if need be. Nonsene you have to pay for it.
5/14/09 1:43 PM
Gorgeous

Poop in his pooper.
5/14/09 1:50 PM
Trust
582 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Realistically, no, not much you can do.

In my opinion, your best bet is to pay them the other money, get the car running normally, and DUMP THAT FUCKER ASAP. 

I have been down this road, and it was with a Toyota Camry.  I ended up putting two engines in it, and it never did run right (for very long). 

This car will be nothing but endless headaches for you, it will stress your marriage because your wife won't feel secure with it, and after the next major malfunction (and it WILL happen), you are going to be kicking yourself for not getting rid of it, even it it means having a car payment - - at least you will be paying for a reliable car, rather than a "getting stranded on the highway" waiting to happen POS. 
5/14/09 1:52 PM
Govnor

Should have bought domestic.
5/14/09 1:53 PM
mteub
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I WOULDN'T GIVE HIM ANOTHER NICKLE...AND IF YOU PAID WITH CC CANCEL THE TRANSACTION.....FI YOU PAID WITH A CHECK CANCEL THAT MOTHER FUCKER.......
5/14/09 1:58 PM
mteub
96 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

GET YOUR MONEY FOR THE ORIGINAL WORK BACK...HE WILL END UO GETTING STUCK WITH A SHITLOAD OF EXPENSES...HE WILL COME AROUND AFTER A WHILE......
5/14/09 1:59 PM
LittleJoeMama
82 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How many miles were on the original engine before it took a shit? Are the the original owner? Did you follow the maintenance schedule? Just curious.
5/14/09 2:00 PM
Diaz 3:16
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

12 guage
.38 snub
glock 9mm

Id go with teh revolver personally
5/14/09 2:02 PM
Alco Hauler
146 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I would tell them to go fuck themselves, and I wouldn't be nice about it.

Charging you for the tow after the car didn't even make it home after being in their care is fucking pathetic.  The diagnostic fee is also bullshit.  No reason for them not to just wave that off.  It's just a computer.

I'd ask what the extra $120 in parts were.  For the electrical shit to be going haywire after they worked on it, it sounds like they didn't hook something back up correctly.

Actually, I'd ask for an itemized bill for all charges.  That mechanic sounds like a fucking crook.

5/14/09 2:03 PM
balloon knotter
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

good luck.

i got tired of shitty mechanics and only deal with dealerships now.

the cost isn't all that much more, and a dealership has some degree of concern about image and customer relations. average guy down the street doens't give a shit if you tell your neighbor he sucks. a dealership at least might care.
5/14/09 2:10 PM
angryinch

balloon knotter - good luck.

i got tired of shitty mechanics and only deal with dealerships now.

the cost isn't all that much more, and a dealership has some degree of concern about image and customer relations. average guy down the street doens't give a shit if you tell your neighbor he sucks. a dealership at least might care.

yep.  With dealerships you will pay a little more but the service and support you get will usually be ten times better than what you'll get at Jose's Auto Service, Bait, Tackle, and Taco Stand. 
5/14/09 2:11 PM
mteub

please heed my advice...cancle your transactions NOW!!!!...don't let him get the original money..........
5/14/09 2:12 PM
fanoffights

That's bullshit! The reason the car had to be towed in the first place was because they had things screwed up. I hate motherfuckers like that. Tell them if they had done it right in the first place that it wouldn't have to be towed and diagnosed.

I would threaten with everything legal. Attorney, BBB, newspaper letter to the editor. As mentioned above, dump the damn thing to some schmuk and get something else.
5/14/09 2:14 PM
eviladam
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Kip Kinkle - That's easy, just hop in your time machine and take your car to a reputable mechanic.

good advice.
5/14/09 2:20 PM
mteub

LOL @ TEH bbb...THAT PLACE IS A FUCKING SCAM.....
5/14/09 2:22 PM
cottonzway
608 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It might be a scam, but often it scares owners into reconsidering their decisions.
5/14/09 2:23 PM
mteub

cottonzway - It might be a scam, but often it scares owners into reconsidering their decisions.

PEOPLE THAT PULL SHIT LIKE THIS DON'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK ABOUT THE BBB...........
5/14/09 2:30 PM
gr47

Edited: 05/14/09 3:23 PM
5/14/09 2:33 PM
eviladam
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

your first mistake was letting a woman drive.
5/14/09 2:33 PM
cottonzway

I disagree. People who are crooks don't like the idea of anyone bothering, questioning, or snooping around their businesses. Also contact the local paper. Criminals are like cockroaches. They run for light and exposure.
5/14/09 2:34 PM
Leigh
715 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mteub - please heed my advice...cancle your transactions NOW!!!!...don't let him get the original money..........
mteub

DO YOU LOOK AT TEH BBB BRFORE YOU USE SOMEONES SERVICES?...
lawrenceofidaho
861 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/14/09 2:35 PM
ManOfThePeepHole -
I will fly into wherever you are on my dime over the Memorial Day weekend and knock on this pukes front door. You will not have to be involved but the whole clan will know that shit just got real. Let me know. I once rented a UHaul Moving Truck with a stolen credit card and spent a night literally driving into and backing over cars of peeps who had fucked with a friend of mine. The carnage was magnificent and these little rats had no response. They crawled inot their motherfucking rat holes and hid like bitches.

These fuckers want the bull? they'll get the horns.

1. I don't work

2. i have frequent flier miles

3. i can go three days without posting tits for these pukes

4. there is no number four.
 Calling MOTPH.......

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.