UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> Vic titles-carlos Portuguse(extreme JJ) vs Tulio(?

5/17/09 6:25 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
sputniik
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/17/09 6:35 AM

Hi Just wanted to get any info on the guy "Portugues" fought in the vic titles this year...Tulio. Where does he train out of? Came across this and a few other blackbelt fights from the championships whilst on youtube.

1.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VdNy1QnuYc&feature=related

2.http://www.youtube.com/watchv=gVg0BfMl4cA&feature=related

From the looks of this comp....the NSW state championship has a long way to go.
5/17/09 7:44 AM
walbjj
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i wouldnt be too harsh on nsw, vic has always been the hotbed for bjj in oz
5/17/09 8:22 AM
OutbreakMonkey
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

http://www.extremejjg.com/shownews.php?id=45

Guy has an impressive record
5/17/09 7:08 PM
sputniik
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/17/09 7:08 PM
Sorry poorly worded initial post. I was just curious as to who Tulio is...ie Which school he comes from or is training with in Melbourne?
5/17/09 8:20 PM
OutbreakMonkey

My bad, post was fine just misread it.
I think Dave Hart from Dominance fought Tulio in the no-gi final? He might know.
5/17/09 10:36 PM
sputniik

Wal,

All im saying is that...it was the NSW State titles this sunday, supposedly equal to the Vic titles, and we didnt have any sponsors(visible), fight shop and brazilian food like we have had in the past.

Good spectator numbers, but there was nothing beyond but mats and competitors.....for the state titles? Maybe this is acceptable for some smaller comps, but surely not for the State championships.

Honestly, the comp seemed a little backward when i thought the aim was to move the sport forward.
5/18/09 1:20 AM
blakGSR
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/18/09 1:21 AM
No competitors shirts either for the NSW State Championships!
The GEC is biting down hard.
5/18/09 1:26 AM
moles

He was competing for Pete's team. I've heard he's been training there, don't know how often though. I think he's from Gracie Barra in Brazil but not 100% sure.
5/18/09 8:55 AM
walbjj
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i honestly think that there was a glut of competitons so far. i know that its only 5 months in, but so far in nsw we have had adcc gi, adcc no gi, nsw nogi championships, nsw bjj state cup rd 1, and events bjj. thats 5 comps.
i also understnad the other side of the argument that says that more comps promotes development, but when u have basketball in australia struggling to even get a national competition running properly, then i think that bjj needs to reevaluate how they promote
honestly, i think it should be the panpacs, the major competition, thats taken for granted. that to many is the mundials of australia. then next would be the australia cup, which would be like the pan-ams.
then each state can run their own state level competitions, but i think 2 0r 3 a year at most. 1 no gi, and 2 gi. this has worked for the nswbjj state comps
as far as sponsors goes, from a business perspective, i dont see much upside for the sponsors
5/18/09 9:23 AM
armbarcrashdummy

Vic has always been the BJJ Mecca of Aussie. The most experienced coaches (JBW, PDB, JD) have been there for years and their guys are now gurus in their own right.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.