UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Have experience with this kind of smoker (pic)

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/17/09 7:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ryan Dunphy
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

5/17/09 7:42 PM
Ryan Dunphy
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Have had this in the yard forever and never used it. I love to grill and cook and would like to smoke turkeys, chickens, shoulders, and ribs?

How do you use this thing? My usual online resources have left me hanging.
5/17/09 9:54 PM
Pito Chueco
129 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/17/09 9:57 PM
For starters, the firebox is a bit small so it I would suggest doing something that doesn't require too much time to smoke intitally. Once you get the hang of keeping the temp in range, you can work on longer smokes.Start with Ribs...use a dry rub.Put half a bag of charcoal in the firebox, and once it is COMPLETELY grey, add a couple chunks of wood (Oak, Hickory, Pecan, etc.

Then Add meat

It looks like there is a thermometer, so that is a plus. Keep the temp at about 200-250 max. Flip the ribs every hour, for a total of 3 hours or so
5/17/09 10:19 PM
crescentwrench
392 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, fire in the small box, meat in the big box.  I would always put a pan of water underneath the grates on the big side right under the hole between the two.  

Chimney is open all the way, you adjust your fire by opening and closing the baffles on the gate.  It will suck smoke up into the meat chamber and make smoked things.  Point the big ends of things toward the firebox, you may need to rotate some things as needed.  That's pretty much it.  You barely need that baffle cracked to keep up a decent smoking temp for a long time.  Recharge using the gate, not the lid; you don't have as much heat loss that way. 

I loved mine except for those days where it was pretty cold and I would go through about twice the charcoal than on more temperate days.  
5/18/09 2:49 AM
Ryan Dunphy

Thanks!

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.