UnderGround Forums

Australasia UnderGround >> BJJ Tournaments - are they worth it?

5/22/09 1:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dingobjj
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

DMMA - Hey Rob,

I totally understand your issue with paying $15 to spectate at an MG tournament. We have done this on purpose, and it's not to gouge people. Our comp is for the fighters, and to allow them to get used to competing, it always has been. With this in mind we actually don't want spectators, we want the fighters to be able to focus on fighting and deal with those pressures first.
But if you really want to come along and watch, then it's $15. This actually keeps the numbers down, which we want.

This is also why we don't publish results, it's not about winning so much as getting in there and having a go, getting experience under your belt without the usual who har of other comps.

The entry fee being $40. We feel this is very cheap for what is on offer. We think it's actually the best deal going around. We've been running this comp for over 4 years and it started out at $30 back then. So it's gone up $10($2.50 p.a avg.) and it's not to look at rising again for quite a while. Our spectator fees haven't changed over that time at all. A comp where you have at least 4 fights guaranteed, the comp is well run and everyone is done by 3pm. Our most recent comp had 3 mats running. We get the comp going quickly and you know that you will be fighting regularly every 30 - 45 minutes or so.

Cam

I would have thought having a crowd there would be better for those competing!! I know in my first few comps the thing that really threw me was not the grappling, but the fact that there was all those people watching and yelling out things. I know alot of good grapplers that are no good in comps cos they are shy people and cant cope with all the attention on the day. So I think, your comps should welcome others to create an atmosphere simliar to the bigger comps. I think if you drop the price for spectators to $5 you d still only get the same people coming to watch..... just easier on our hip pockets
5/22/09 8:20 PM
blakGSR
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/22/09 8:22 PM
I agree that seperate groupings for Adults/Masters/Seniors should be canned. The average comp in NSW will get approx 200 total competitors, so the seperate groupings are not really justified.

The prizes at EventsBJJ were great. I got a podium finish and walked away with a decent rash shirt. Offering prizes is tought atm the moment with sponsors pulling the purse strings tight. This was evident at NSWBJJF State Championships as there was barely a sponsor in sight. I think the winners of each bracket got a tub of protein powder.

Also some of the comps still seem to struggle to keep the 4 mats running concurrently. Im not sure why this is so hard.

Events BJJ seem to be very close to the mark with their scheduling. My actual match started within 5 mins of the scheduled time. I warmed up once and then stepped on the mat to roll. Good work.
5/25/09 7:53 PM
Elvis
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey Guys,

We like to think we have the draws/scheduling/etc down. We are always working on improving things. We're working towards having the most organised and professional event. I know everyone wants to be the best and we sure as heck do.

In regards to the Masters/Seniors division you need them. There are lots of people out there who don't want to compete with young go hung ho competitors. What people need to realise is that it is not compulsory to enter in your age division. Eg guys who can compete in Masters/Seniors can choose to just enter the Adult division. It is a personal choice and it's there for the people who want to use it.

On the topic of only having one match to win a division that is going to happen until the sport grows more. We need more people on the mat not less. The way to do that is with better more organised and professional comps. We are doing our best to do that with our comp and I'm sure the others are doing the best to do it with theirs.

The thing is the comps are not going to get better if there is no support. The comps are not going to get better if there are less competitors. Support the comps and help them improve. We're getting better each comp. The more comps we have and the more competitors who compete the better we will get. Come along to our next comp and check it out. Hopefully you will be pleasantly impressed.

We're in the process of finalising our next two comp dates. Once the venues have been booked we will put it up on our website. We're hoping by putting the dates up well in advance it will give everyone plenty of time to be available.

Elvis
Events BJJ

5/26/09 12:20 AM
Liteheavyweight

Hey guys as a 44 year old i really appreciate the Masters and Seniors Divisions being run (Seniors 2 actually for over 40s). When you are grappling every day and you never get to recover properly and are always sore the last thing you want is for a 25 to 30 year old testosterone fueled muscle bound naturally gifted athletic freak trying to tear your arms off.

On the other hand I always put Seniors 2 on my Pan Pacs entry forms and quite often end up fighting in open age or occasionally masters due to lag of geriatric competitors. I would rather compete than miss out so at least I get put in the draw. I pay for it for weeks though.

So come on you old buggers put a tick in the seniors box on the entry form. Even when I get put in the masters it is the same 3 or 4 crusty old purple belts that compete every time. Be good to have some fresh (well not relly fresh) competitors.

Cheers

James
5/26/09 1:25 AM
bluesky

Why not have 3 age group?

18-29 (Adults)
30-40 (Masters/Seniors I)
41+ (Seniors II)

Seem to make more sense to me.
5/26/09 7:08 AM
walbjj
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^^^this

sounds pretty logical
5/26/09 8:01 AM
Elvis
194 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The reason is we work to the official age groups. But what we always do is always try and match masters/seniors/seniors I before looking at adding them to Adult divisions. So what you're asking is pretty much what we do, but we do it based on what competitors have entered.

Regards
Elvis
Events BJJ

5/28/09 5:57 AM
rbl
150 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I enjoyed the look of confusion on my Muay Thai trainer's face when I told him we pay to compete.
"Just when you think you understand the falang..."
5/28/09 11:18 PM
OutbreakMonkey

BenBJJ the round robin format is pretty straight forward, normally 5 people in a group. Each person fights 4 times and gets one bye. So guaranteed 4 fights. There's also the absolute division which doesn't cost any extra to have a go.
To put this in to perspective, there are no predetermined weight categories. You just give your weight on the day and everyone is divided accordingly.
Medals for 1st and 2nd are awarded on points assigned based on win by sub, win by points, draw and loss. I'm not sure of what each is worth, maybe Dave or Cam can provide further info.
I can understand Cam and Dave's reluctance to lower the spectator fee, last couple of comps have had 60+ competitors. The place gets pretty packed as is and there's certainly no shortage of cheering and maybe a little heckling ;)
All ref's are purple or above and know their stuff.

To add a plug for Dave, they have a no time limit elimination comp coming up soon I believe. Should sort the men out from the boys.
6/1/09 10:17 AM
DMMA

Hey Dingo,

I get your point, but we aren't after a large group of spectators and want to keep the numbers down. We want the focus to be on getting experience fighting and we feel this is the best way.

The points are:

3 points for a sub
2 points for a points win
1 point each for a draw.

Cam
6/4/09 7:51 PM
Elvis

Events BJJ will be holding our next event in August. Hopefully we can get everyone along to show you we can run a great comp. Give it a go and let us know what you think.

Elvis
Events BJJ

6/30/09 11:27 PM
AvAMajestic
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

While I'll still probably look to do the Vics and the Pan Pacs next year, the Dominance open mats are without question the best idea, and best value for money around.

It's a great day with a great atmosphere, it's cheap, and you're guaranteed 4 fights.

The fights don't quite have the intensity of a fight in the pan pacs or the vics, as everyone is being a little bit more careful not to hurt the person they're grappling with, in the spirit of the day, but they're still intense enough to be challenging and fun. You go all out, you just don't crank on the subs basically.

$40 bucks for 4 fights, once every month or two? I'll happily pay that. Looking forward to doing it when I get back to Aus and get back into training.

Oh also I'm pretty sure that the Dominance open mat fights are always reffed by guys who are purple or above. I've never seen any serious errors in the reffing there, whereas I've definitely missed out on points I clearly should have got in the Vics/Pan Pacs (nothing that ever changed the outcome though fortunately).

Daniel
7/12/09 9:12 AM
Elvis

Events BJJ next event is August 2nd. Online entries at www.eventsbjj.com

This is your chance to put us to the test. Compete in our comp and see how it is. If it's not up to scratch... tell us...

Elvis
Events BJJ

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.