UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Who caused the biggest jump ahead for mankind?

5/20/09 11:02 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
JacksRomously
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/20/09 11:04 PM
fire

agriculture

Cuneiform script

who ever made the soap hygiene disease connection.

Mesopotamian currency
5/21/09 2:47 AM
joe canada
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gutenberg with the printing press.
5/21/09 7:18 AM
Kirik
1598 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mixed Martial Arts LLC, President
 it is almost certainly Jesus, ironically.

Or, as noted above, Chris 'Fresh Kid Ice' Wongwon
5/21/09 7:58 AM
Crazy Zimmerman
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Another list I didn't make :(
5/21/09 8:21 AM
CDarwin
628 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alley - Charles Darwin. He freed us from religion, without even intending to do so. He was so far ahead of his time, that 1/2 the states in the midwest still object to teaching evolution.
3/23/10 12:27 PM
uglee
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's ethier fire, or the people that first started eating marrow and scavanging meat which led to the evolution of the human brian. Although that person/people were not homospaians but rather sevrail steps down the evoulutionary ladder so do they count for this question?
3/23/10 1:44 PM
duckrabbit
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Drunk history
4/1/10 4:32 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Moses.  He actualized the first (ancient) egalitarian socieity, gave rights to slaves and women, educated the masses, founded a country of which this countries seperation of powers was modeled after, he put power into the citizens where citizens aren't subjected to the will of "The king" or "Gods", who's constitution is alive and well in Israel and with the Jewish people, longest running traditions in the world.  etc....

As he debated with G-d he gave permission for the ordinary man to challenge the status quo's in the world and it's Governments ...

Not his fault but because of his rise he paved the path for Christianity and Islam which I won't go in to because their way's of life are mere carbon copies of Jewish life and they seem to just get it wrong....

4/2/10 10:20 PM
MasterDebater
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

alpo - The printing press.  It's not even a contest.  Johannes Gutenberg<br type="_moz" />

yup.

unless you could pin down one guy who invented writing or the book.
gutenberg didn't invent the press tho. he invented a type of press involving moveable print. so that many pages or books could be mass produced.
4/2/10 10:47 PM
MasterDebater

actually, come to think of it mohamed is probably a better answer.

founded a religion followed by about 1.6 billion people today, conquered a large empire in his life time(the entire arabian peninsula), wrote the Koran-the most important book in islam,

4/12/10 11:40 AM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Who caused the biggest jump ahead for mankind?

If you think Mohammed's teachings is leading mankind ahead then fine.  What did he teach that is propelling mankind?  Moses's ideology is the absolute backdrop for Islam, although they won't say it.  Both Jesus's and Mohammeds ideology is based on the teachings of Moses.   There are more Muslims then Darwinians so how would you answer that?  The number of followers shouldn't be the absolute factor considering Hitler duped an entire country into WWII and the Holocaust. 
4/14/10 5:49 AM
Badder Harry

The Founding Fathers
4/14/10 12:57 PM
770mdm

Badder Harry - The Founding Fathers

I'd have to agree.  But even the Constitution is based on Moses' teachings:

http://www.createdequalthebook.com/publications.html
5/3/10 12:58 AM
Santino DeFranco
117 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know who propelled the largest intellectual jump for mankind, but I know it's not me.

As a child I always had delusions of being one of those great people that would be talked about for generations after my death as I was some great person in some aspect.

Disappointed though, I am, as of late, coming to terms with mediocrity and the fact that even if I actually achieve my personal best I will be forgotten after my loved ones are all in the ground with me.
5/17/10 11:17 AM
donkypunch55
176 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bill Gates. when the history of mankind is written, he will be identified as the most "influential" figure.
5/18/10 7:54 PM
sanguine cynic

DARWIN

and it's not even CLOSE.
5/21/10 8:20 PM
morotetsuke

hitler....stalin

and youre right, its not even close
6/19/10 11:28 PM
Crapstick

Eddie Bravo.
8/20/10 10:59 PM
Cire
254 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Gutenberg is the current answer. But in 200 years, the answer will be the internet.

The internet is still in its infant stage. There is a good chance that we will not live long enough to understand how truly great the internet will impact on mankind. Having the ability to speak with 99.9999% of the people on this planet will exponentially push education and exploration of every science beyond our comprehension while at the same time will also debunk many of our current beliefs. The internet will be solely responsible for the unification of all languages, possibly changing them from vernacular to a mathematically-based communication.

Movable type was a game changer, but it was slow to grow(vs the internet) from ignorance and repression. Where as the internet has allowed creativity(which drives innovative education) to flow completely free.
8/20/10 11:21 PM
PR
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have thought about the same Cire. It will be interesting to see if the internet can have a greater influence than the printing press.
8/21/10 12:51 AM
john76
113 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Penni-muthafukin-cillin.... do you take it?
8/31/10 12:49 AM
Badder Harry

the dude who discovered FIRE!
9/1/10 3:25 PM
ubik
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Newton introduced the mechanical age which changed society and technology fundamentally.

Maxwell introduced the electrical/magnetic age which is now in full swing.

In time Einstein's concepts will filter down to the same degree, but I don't feel we have transitioned from Maxwell's to Einstein's age.
9/8/10 2:48 PM
Crazy Zimmerman
235 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want to say Heisenberg, but I'm just not certain.
9/8/10 2:52 PM
Isaac298

The man who made fire is the correct answer. Set us apart from the rest of the animals on this earth and we haven't looked back since.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.