UnderGround Forums

Money, Business & Finance Ground >> My "Muse"

5/19/09 4:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BruceWayne23
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 06/30/09 11:41 AM

For those of you guys who have read Tim Ferris' The Four Hour Workweek:I am getting ready to launch my first "muse". I have contacted half a dozen contract manufacturers to obtain price quotes for a supplement that I am planning on launching. I've done research one the top competitors in this vertical and have obtained their pay per click campaign data via Spyfu.com (great tool). I'll be using a freelancer from Elance for the website/shopping cart and www.shipwire.com for order fulfillment. I'll be writing much of the website copy myself. The next step is to file for an llc and get a trademark(?) for the product name.I'll also be contacting advertising reps at a few niche magazines to obtain price quotes. *crosses fingers*
5/20/09 10:53 AM
HERTSWENIP
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/20/09 10:53 AM
Congrats on taking the leap, let us know how it pans out!
6/2/09 1:10 AM
HarryLime

Good luck!

It's an attractive idea, but I worry that 'muses' may be challenging to launch in a recession.
6/8/09 6:10 PM
Wiggy
204 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is it going? I'd be interested to hear? Do you care to mention what your niche is?

The 'hot thing' in internet marketing (and what seems to be a key component in building long-term money-making abilities) is continuity. As Ryan Lee once said, "You have to sell a lot of $27 ebooks to get rich."

However, continuity seems to only be real applicable with informational products. (Unless, of course, it's a DVD subscription like Time Life has done for who knows how many years. I hear Guthy Renker does this with a lot of their stuff - esp proactiv - too.)

The one thing about the supplement industry is that you can have continuity w/o having to have a very large supply of differing product. With a subscription (be it magazine, DVD, info e-product, etc.), you have to have a very long line of product. In other words, if somebody was willing to pay you on a monthly basis for 5 years, you'd have to have at least 60 items to sell him/her.

However, with supplements, you can have repeat customers (being as close to continuity as you can get) with the same product, b/c that product is consumable and needs replenishing.

Let us know how it goes!
6/22/09 9:57 PM
BruceWayne23

I'd prefer not to state my niche. I should have my website up in about a week and a half, though...which is cool. One thing worth noting: PPC clicks are about 10x what they were a year or two ago in many verticals. Lots of people who don't know what they are doing are driving click costs up.
7/15/09 11:13 PM
Yossarian
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TTT

I'd be interested to hear more.
7/16/09 9:12 AM
BruceWayne23

Still waiting on some copywriting/content from my guys...however, I threw up another site in a different niche about two weeks ago and it's already ranking for some badass "buying" keywords. I'm going to be setting up an ecommerce/dropship agreement from a wholesaler for this one pretty soon : )
7/16/09 4:17 PM
Yossarian
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wow

That's awesome. I was sitting at my desk today and got an awesome idea for a website and for a minute I thought to myself "ah, too much work and it may not work..."

Now I think I might get crackin with it tonight...

If you could give any other insight I'd appreciate it.
7/18/09 7:07 PM
BruceWayne23

Yossarian - wow

That's awesome. I was sitting at my desk today and got an awesome idea for a website and for a minute I thought to myself "ah, too much work and it may not work..."

Now I think I might get crackin with it tonight...

If you could give any other insight I'd appreciate it.

SEO SEO SEO...I threw this site up with less than 20 pages of content and it's already ranking for 60+ terms and getting a consistent 20 hits or so a day. Brand new domain and less than a month old.

Once you see what organic rankings convert to sales start launching PPC campaigns based on those keywords
7/23/09 11:58 PM
LukeCranson
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How is this working out Bruce? Best of luck to ya!!
8/5/09 11:11 PM
Yossarian

Hey Bruce,

I'm curious, are you building the site on your own?

If so, what software are you using?
8/6/09 3:16 PM
BruceWayne23

I've been distracted with my PPC campaigns over the past few weeks...

I like wordpress because it's so easy to work with and there are tons of really useful plugins. Installing it on your domain is super fast and easy.

For this new ecommerce site, I've decided to go with Magento. It's a really user friendly open-source solution.
9/29/09 3:19 AM
LukeCranson
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

what's going on with this?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.