UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Opening Help for a Mock Shoplifting Case

5/20/09 9:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HaMMerHouseFAN
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will be the prosecutor for a shoplifting case where the person is claiming they accidently walked out of the store with the sweater while she was looking for her father (he was giving her a ride. he also has a prior for shoplifting back in 1998 and an armed robbery conviction for being a get away driver).

Any tips for a good opening?
5/20/09 2:56 PM
Cookie Monster
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/20/09 2:56 PM
Here goes...
Probably, ladies and gentlemen, PROBABLY!!

This soulless cunt is probably guilty! GUILTY I SAY!! (pound podeum) She is probably not a christian, and WE (gesture and wink to jury) as Christians must rid our society of her and her kind. Only a pervert like him/her (point to defense counsel) would defend such a case. God wants you to convict. You are the sword of the Lord... now cleve this vile thing from our flock. She probably likes anal sex too. She has probably done this many many times and not gotten caught. She is probably on drugs and steals things or turns "tricks" to get her fix. The fact she is black only goes to further prover her guilt! Blacks steal things... its in their nature! She is black, ergo she stole the sweater. Find this bitch guilty because she probably did it. (wink to jury)
5/20/09 3:06 PM
pm1964
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm convinced. Fry that bitch!
5/20/09 5:10 PM
Fake Pie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"he also has a prior for shoplifting back in 1998 and an armed robbery conviction for being a get away driver"

I don't know nothin bout no openings, but are you going trying them together under a conspiracy theory and trying to get his past convictions in to show intent?
5/20/09 9:45 PM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok, you have to have a theme. I know it sounds lame and your professors have gone over it with you, but here is where the rubber meets the road.

I like a theme that is a rhetorical question. My last jury trial I was defending a girl who was charged with multiple PWISD drug charges. Her thug boyfriend was also charged my theme was "Ladies and gentleman, you need to decided this one question, who is the drug dealer?"

My friend, who is in an assault trial right now, his opening statement to the jury was "You only have to decide one thing, who started it?"

Sum up all the elements into one issue and give that one issue to the jury. That is how I pick a theme.
5/22/09 2:57 PM
The Gimp
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if the prior similar transactions are allowed in, doesn't matter too much about your opening....you're fucked.
5/22/09 8:57 PM
Fake Pie

"if the prior similar transactions are allowed in, doesn't matter too much about your opening....you're fucked."

Why? He said he was prosecuting.
5/23/09 1:13 AM
Shaz

Here's a good hook for shoplifting cases, I've actually used it a few times in front of a jury:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, this is a case about a woman who was PRETENDING to shop, but INTENDING to steal."

-Shaz!

5/24/09 1:07 AM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

not bad Shaz. Gots to have a hook.
5/29/09 9:17 AM
The Gimp
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/29/09 9:17 AM
Fake Pie,

Missed that part. Other way round then.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.