UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Racer X rocks!

5/21/09 8:19 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Hook
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I contacted Rex about doing some set up, possible Buzz Feiten system, for me and shipped my guitars to him.

Just got my guitars back the other day and got them unpacked and he did an awesome set up on them for me.

I knew that I had done the right thing when he said that we didn't have to do the Buzz system and that he could probably get my Strat playing great without it. Somebody out to make a buck would have jumped at that and I would have been none the wiser.

Thanks a ton! I've missed the sweet sound of my Seagull and now she rings better than she has in years!
5/24/09 5:29 AM
Shootozen
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah, he pretty much rocks....

any other forum members need work done? Rex is your guy- he does just awesome work-
5/24/09 3:52 PM
The Hook

Edited: 05/24/09 3:53 PM
Here are the two guitars that we worked on for me.

Strat

I put Rio Grande pick ups in it. This is the Muy Grande set.

My "invention". Recessed strap lock. I bent it a couple of times during gigs and I found out that if you recess it, it is much, much stronger.

Seagull - a little battle-worn, but it sounds great. It doesn't have that bright, Taylor sound, which is why I think I like it. It's different.

5/24/09 4:03 PM
The Hook

Edited: 05/24/09 4:04 PM
Here's my custom guitar that I've been meaning to post more pics of and I just took some today.

I did my recessed strap lock on this guitar as well. Took guts to start drilling on a "one of a kind, custom" guitar.

www.mcswainguitars.com

5/24/09 4:10 PM
The Hook

Edited: 05/24/09 4:11 PM
While I'm at it, my PRS.

'97 Custom 22 in whale blue. Wide fat neck. Very schweet!

Some of my gear in a pile. :(

Still trying to get a dedicated room to leave everything set up.

My wah (I've got a customized Vox around there somewhere)

Deja Vibe (my Univibe died - RIP)

Roland GR-33 synth and my Banshee

My Octafuzz, SansAmp, CheapAss volume pedal and my tuner

Whammy pedal, chorus pedal and a H20 chorus in the blue box under my other chorus

5/24/09 9:52 PM
Georbraham Linkington

Nice, Snarling Dogs makes good shit
5/24/09 10:12 PM
The Hook

I love that wah!
5/25/09 4:06 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Great idea about recessing the straplocks. That snake guitar is wild. You've got some cool gear, have you ever posted any music here?
5/25/09 8:17 PM
The Hook

I've got some cool gear, but unfortunately, you can't buy talent! :)

Here's a short clip that I posted awhile back. I'm playing my Strat (pre-Racer X work) through a SansAmp 21 into my computer.

5/27/09 8:58 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, Thanks for the kind words.

Y'know Dunlop makes a recessed version of your strap-lock. No need for a shaped hole, it's a straight bore and leaves just a small lip showing. Yours is clean though, well done.

That cobra guitar is truly one of the most awesome guitars I've ever seen, and brother,I've seen a LOT of guitars. So freakin' cool. I want to do some sculpture guitars.
5/27/09 11:11 PM
The Hook

Racer X -  Wow, Thanks for the kind words.

Y'know Dunlop makes a recessed version of your strap-lock. No need for a shaped hole, it's a straight bore and leaves just a small lip showing. Yours is clean though, well done.

That cobra guitar is truly one of the most awesome guitars I've ever seen, and brother,I've seen a LOT of guitars. So freakin' cool. I want to do some sculpture guitars.

Then Dunlop owes me some money! I did this back in '98 and with my extensive touring of northeast TN/southwest VA, I'm sure the word got out!

Thanks for the kind words about my cobra guitar! It was my "brain child" and I got hooked up with Stephen and he made it a reality.

I actually have a handmade rattlesnake strap that I have with it. One of my dad's friends, who hunts/traps/recycles animals, made it for me.

Cool stuff!
5/28/09 4:05 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here they be...
5/29/09 4:43 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That was cool Hook, sounds almost like you had two guitars playing at the same time. How do you do that?

Ah yah, those straplocks are the shit! Mine stick out like Frankenstein bolts.
5/29/09 7:56 PM
The Hook

Edited: 05/31/09 9:52 PM
DasBeaver - That was cool Hook, sounds almost like you had two guitars playing at the same time. How do you do that?

Ah yah, those straplocks are the shit! Mine stick out like Frankenstein bolts.

It's all in the Hook, man!

I was using Audacity. It's a free program you can download and it's pretty simple to use.

I just recorded the rhythm track and then did the lead.

5/29/09 8:02 PM
The Hook

Also, there's a program that I've used to create drum beats.

You can download tons of free ones, but sometimes, they don't have the exactly what you want.

It's called Beaterator (beat generator) and it's made by Rockstar, from Grand Theft Auto fame.

http://beaterator.rockstargames.com/index2.html

Just register and play around with it.

5/30/09 12:30 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

*Rex* I need a lot of work done on/to my Gibson blues king electro. It needs: Frets (probably will need every one replaced), new piezo, new saddle, magnetic pickup installed with jack/end pin ( i have a fishman earthtone). Also I was wondering if the magnetic could be wired in with the monster of a built in pre-amp gibson originally installed?
6/1/09 3:39 AM
Racer X

Hillbilly, it's tough to say off the top of my head if the magnetic pickup has the right impedence for that particular pre-amp. Is it a multisource rig? Is there both a piezo and a mic feeding the preamp with a BLEND control? Otherwise I'm not sure how we'd integrate the Earthtone pickup.

Good news is I'm a Fishman dealer and the tech guys there seem up to some problem solving, so I'm sure a solution is workable. I've done combined stereo outputs with outboard mixing(piece of cake) as well as integrated mix/blend onboard mic,piezo,magnetic systems(work with the manufacturer when possible). The hard part is adding outside brands to existing systems. Compatability in impedence, output,and phase all have to be taken into consideration or ugly, tinny tones can be your reward(punishment?). There is, of course, a good chance that Fishman is the OEM supplier of the system in your guitar now. What controls does it feature and is there a model on the pre amp plate?

New saddle? New frets? No problem!
6/1/09 11:20 AM
Racer X

Oh, and by the way, no need for quotes around Rex. It's my real name. ;)

6/1/09 1:40 PM
Hillbilly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It`s a Gibson AccuVoice. Controls are push/pull buttons. Tone, volumes voice and freq. Also has three little color coated push buttons. Notch, bright and power. The guitar has both an XLR and 1/4 inch jack. I`m not sure it can be integrated, and honestly it is not a big deal if it can`t. The frets on the other hand are worn to a nub and the piezo is broken in half. I`ve only been using the Fishman.

I thought I was using an * not a quote..lol
6/3/09 11:43 AM
Hillbilly

Should I box it up and mail it to you?
6/9/09 10:17 AM
Hillbilly

must not be interested.
6/9/09 10:32 PM
Racer X

Sorry man, my attention to this place is erratic at best.
hit me at guitarworks1@aol.com and we can talk about your guitar. Frets, electronics, what ever you want me to do.
6/10/09 10:48 AM
Hillbilly

Cool! Thank you sir..

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.