UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> Most Desolate Place you have ever been?

5/25/09 12:38 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Cha0s008
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nick - Any place in Maine

Good call. I've been there many times and there is pretty much nothing there.

I'd also have to say where I live in the middle of nowhere PA!
5/25/09 12:45 AM
FloridaStriker
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

desolace. Just outside of Feralas south of Stonetalon mountain
5/25/09 12:53 AM
ManOfThePeepHole
1628 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LIBRARY IN COMPTON
5/25/09 12:56 AM
ManOfThePeepHole
1628 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

PETEY WHEATSTRAW TRIBUTE BANQUET
5/25/09 4:59 AM
kosmo777
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Google Maps Nullarbor - driving across Australia on the Eyre Highway is miles of absolute nothing.
5/25/09 5:04 AM
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LA's "skid row"
5/25/09 5:06 AM
VectorWega

Edited: 05/25/09 5:08 AM
larpyiff - 
waxwing slain -  West Texas.  Flat and featureless 360 degrees.  fucking scary.
this

this.

I've been in the middle of the wilderness in New Mexico far from civilization and that's still nowhere near as desolate as West Texas.  Even driving on the highway is desolate.  Towns can be hundreds of miles apart. If you run out of gas you are f'ed. 
5/25/09 5:09 AM
ShanTheMan
789 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

gord96 - drove to California this spring and took a back route my uncle told me about instead of taking the I-15. Its between Primm and 29 Palms. You pass through some old towns and your go right through the center of the Mojave Desert. It was bleak, but a nice ride if your ever heading between Vegas and LA.

What road was it?
5/25/09 5:36 AM
LoiseauElbow

Namib desert - 7 hour drive from anything.

Meeting the Mursi tribe in Lower Omo Valley in Ethiopia - 2 day drive to a tiny place to refuel. 8 hour drive into nothingness to meet a tribe. Surreal.
5/25/09 5:39 AM
crazydave
201 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

outback australia ... what a shithole!
5/25/09 5:47 AM
BenBJJ
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been down there. You can fly for 6 hours and this doesnt change:

Photobucket
5/25/09 8:26 AM
hammerhands
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

canadian arctic
5/25/09 8:30 AM
junon
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ShanTheMan - 
gord96 - drove to California this spring and took a back route my uncle told me about instead of taking the I-15. Its between Primm and 29 Palms. You pass through some old towns and your go right through the center of the Mojave Desert. It was bleak, but a nice ride if your ever heading between Vegas and LA.

What road was it?

id like to know aswell.

done the LA/LV trip a few times and looking for a different route.
5/25/09 8:32 AM
Ebony
98 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

your mom's vagina!!!
5/25/09 8:53 AM
Aussie Gumby

crazydave - outback australia ... what a shithole!

yep!
5/25/09 9:09 AM
johnsonbarr

funny how some of you are scared of nature
5/25/09 9:12 AM
simthefarmer

Dansville, NY
5/25/09 9:17 AM
uratoker2
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Haole -  interesting topic, I googled this and found this fascinating (sick) shit on Nasa.gov...
the most isolated community on earth...

So what's the settlement that's furthest from any other populated community? The answer is the island of Tristan in the Tristan da Cunha group. This little grouping lies in the South Atlantic Ocean about 1,600 miles (2,560 km) south of the island of St. Helena, about 1,700 miles (2,720 km) west of Cape Town and some 1,800 miles (2,880 km) northwest of Bouvetoya. It's situated nearly half-way between Africa and South America. The other islands that compose Tristan da Cunha are known as Nightingale, Stoltenhof, Middle and the appropriately named Inaccessible -- none are populated at present. These lonely isles are the very tops of a huge submerged volcano complex, which broke the surface nearly 1 million years ago. The highest summit is about 6,760 feet (about 2,000 m) above sea level. There's neither a harbor nor an airport on Tristan.The only homes on Tristan are in Edinburgh, referred to as the "Settlement." This wee community numbers around 300 residents, but they're are only 7 last names -- this can't be good. Since there were only a few initial inhabitants and with scant visitors and shipwrecked mariners to augment the population, inbreeding is an ongoing concern. Supposedly, in 1827, at the request of five bachelors, the captain of a passing ship persuaded five woman from St. Helena to become brides for these desperate Tristans.

Interesting stuff, Haole. Thanks for posting.......
5/25/09 9:24 AM
USNavyEOD

Diego Garcia...small island about 1k miles south of India in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Lived there for about 14 months.

Djibouti, Africa...at an impact range about a 6-8 hour drive away from civilization...oh yeah...and it was about 125 degrees F during the day.
5/25/09 9:39 AM
ziggystardust
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I drove around the Tibetan highlands. There are nomads and small villages here and there, but it would be a long walk if your car brook down.

Camel safari in the Thar desert between India and Pakistan. You don't really start an argument with your guide when you're a couple of days out.

Hiking and cross-country skiing in the mountainous areas of Scandinavia in the military and for holidays. It can be a couple of days of trekking to get to any type of road. A guy who got sick had to be lifted out by helicopter.
5/25/09 9:50 AM
Trust
688 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing very exotic, but the UP of Michigan has a few places where you can find solitude.  My Dad and his buddies bought a 40 acre tract in the middle of 250,000 acres of government-owned land and built a hunting cabin on it.  It's about 7 miles from the nearest electrical service, which is at a state park. To drive there, though, takes about 15 miles of dirt roads and two-track trails.   That particular part of the state doesn't have much air traffic, and it's rare to even see an airplane.  I went up with my family to stay there in the summer. We walked down to the Lake SUperior shore, and there wasn't a sign of another human in sight.  No houses, no boats, no planes.  My wife, being a city person, literally freaked out by the second day.  She went for a walk by herself and after half an hour came running back to the cabin in a panic.  I mean sobbing in tears and she didn't really know why except she said she said she felt like we were so alone -  that if she were attacked by a bear nobody would know.  lol.  We had to change plans and go do sight seeing in places where other people were after that.
5/25/09 10:56 AM
banjohaze
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

an empty flop house/heroine den out in the woods in Garberville CA. It's location with the big trees mixed with the dirty house and needles and signs of all manner of messed up stuff, was a desolate situation.
5/25/09 11:03 AM
bharrist

west tx
blythe ca
yuma az
5/25/09 11:43 AM
FatChrist Magic
157 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

One of my college buddies just completed the first American unsupported trek to the North Pole on foot. He and is partner (beep) snowshoed and skied while dragging 250+ lbs on sleds. They had to swim in dry suits across stretches of water that had been frozen solid a few years ago.

Considering no American had accomplished what Tyler Fish (http://www.forwardexpeditions.com/)has, I would say he can claim to have been in one of the most desolate places on earth.
5/25/09 11:48 AM
Matthew Battle

Camden?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.