UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Ordered A New D-18

5/25/09 10:30 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

After 35 years of playing this is the second new guitar I`ve ever bought and the first Martin. Also kind of strange buying a guitar thru the mail, but I know the salesman and trust him tim pick a good one..
5/25/09 3:55 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Beautiful guitar. You win the lottery or sumfin?
5/25/09 6:55 PM
Hillbilly
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish.
5/25/09 7:06 PM
Hillbilly

http://www.janetdavismusic.com/martin_d18.html
5/27/09 6:46 PM
Hillbilly

Damn this guitar is sweet! Can`t put it down.
5/28/09 6:19 PM
whaledog
76 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Man, you're giving my some serious GAS.   I'd love to get my hands on a nice Martin.
5/28/09 6:50 PM
Hillbilly

I`ve always been a Gibson guy, but the last few years I`ve been hanging out with some very serious bluegrassers. I was going to go with a D-16 (around $1000.00-1200.00) but after the salesman told me the D 16 had ebonized fingerboards, and made me a price of $1500.00 for the D 18 I couldn`t refuse. The cheapest I could find a new D18 for was 2 grand..

They are mostly an acoustic oriented online music store, and they have KILLER prices.
5/29/09 4:35 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is a real beauty, is this a photo of your actual guitar? Sounds incredible.

5/29/09 4:39 PM
DasBeaver

I bought a parlor a while back, '62 016-NY. The tone was huge, and warm enough to toast bread on. Had to get rid of it when the well ran dry. I still cry at night sometimes.

5/30/09 12:23 PM
Hillbilly

Idon`t think that is the one I bought, but it is exactly like the one I bought. I broke it`s cherry last night at the Ozark National Blues Fest..

That parlor guitar looks like loads of fingerpicking fun! What is the guitar next to it?
6/1/09 4:17 PM
DasBeaver

It's an old Recording King. The tone kind of sucks, but it's got the greatest neck and action ever so I love playing it.
6/1/09 7:35 PM
jman
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Long time no posts Hillbily, welcome back.
6/2/09 11:13 AM
Racer X
51 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jman - Long time no posts Hillbily, welcome back.

Same to you, jman. How ya been? I have to say I'm sorry our meeting at NAMM was so brief. New girlfriend traveling with me was feeling like shit and I needed to get her back to the hotel to rest. Next year I'm going solo, so it's tequila shots and loud bands next January!

6/2/09 12:51 PM
Hillbilly

Hey jman! Doing any picking?
6/4/09 1:15 AM
jman
572 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nothing much here mostly trying to learn to play the piano, not doing too much with guitar.

I've had bad tinitus for the past 4 months so I dont' think I'll be playing in bands anymore. It started out of nowhere and is just really really bad. Been to doctors and crap but no luck. Guess I just have to get used to always hearing ringing and hissing out of my ears.
6/4/09 11:59 AM
Hillbilly

That sucks! I`ve been going through the medical ringer myself.

I know a few old musicians that have that. A great old guitar player is one. He was a corpsman in Viet Nam, but he blames drummers for his issue.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus
6/8/09 6:59 PM
Iron Man
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

just got myself a martin 00-15 and i love it. i also wanted a martin d-28 but i prefer smaller body guitars now since i mostly do fingerstyle.
6/8/09 7:31 PM
Hillbilly

Cool. I play alot of fingerstyle also. One of the reasons I chose the 18 over a 28 is I just love the sound of mahagony.
6/9/09 12:52 AM
El Maquina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

awesome guitar hillbilly, what fingerstyle songs are you guys working on?
6/9/09 9:49 AM
Hillbilly

I`m mainly working on flatpicking fiddle tunes lately, but I have been trying Maple Leaf Rag, Weeping Willow, Magnetic Rag and a few other Scott Joplin songs. I learned Blind Blake, Rev Gary, Silvester Weaver, Miss John Hurt, etc 20+ years ago.

I also work alot of Jazz standards fingerstyle, like Night and Day, Autumn Leaves, Out of Nowhere and so on..
6/9/09 3:31 PM
jman

That's awesome man. I learned Maple Leaf Rag on the guitar it is a REALLY fun one. The only other rag I learned was Bye Bye Blackbird, man I love that song. My dad had an old ragtime guitar record from 1975 or so and those 2 songs and some others were on there. I finally decided to learn them by ear when I was 18 or so. I ended up learning Maple Leaf Rag so so, but I screwed up kind of learning Bye Bye Blackbird. I learned the entire piece in D...well that's fine, but I later found out the recording was done with a capo on the second fret so he played it in C (but it sounded like D because of the capo), so all my fingerings were completely wrong, lol.

There is just somethign so RIGHT about the flatpicked and ragtime guitar...kind of like the perfect music for that instrument. You can play other styles on a steel string acoustic, but somehow flatpicking and ragtime stuff is just perfection on the guitar.
6/9/09 3:52 PM
jman

I found these 3 cool basic flat picking videos (I never knew about these techniques before)"

6/10/09 11:06 AM
Hillbilly

Bye-Bye-Blackbird is a great tune! Been messing around with a few different arrangments for years.

Those are great little crosspicking vids!
6/10/09 5:00 PM
El Maquina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'll check some of these songs out, haven't heard of them. I've been working on the star spangled banner and I'm starting to wonder if my fingers are ever gonna do the right thing. I do a pretty decent Tears in Heaven though.
6/10/09 6:33 PM
Hillbilly

Star Spangled Banner is a tough song! Hard to sing too! Another one is stars and stripes ala Chet Atkins. The Claw is also one I should learn one of these days.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.