UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Charcoal starter

5/25/09 9:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use a chimney to start my charcoal (using a propane torch).

The problem is you can't start a lot of charcoal this way.
I'm thinking about buying an electric starter... anybody thoughts on these or other suggestions?
5/25/09 10:43 PM
Ryan Dunphy
85 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just smoked a chicken today and it was a pain in the ass to get the charcoal going without some kind of chimney/electric starter....had to use a bunch of newspaper and kindling.

My brother has an electric one and loves it.

If you find my smoker thread on the og one of the bbq experts on there had a great way of starting coal, its had something to do with a chimney, and a paper towel soaked in peanut oil....check it out just search smoker on og.
5/25/09 10:59 PM
Kevin Curtis
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah... I did see the thread where they used the paper towel method. I prefer the propane, because I didn't like the ashes blowing around.
5/26/09 12:06 AM
crescentwrench
238 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have always done it with paper and oil, never really gave much thought to ash.  

I don't know, maybe get some paraffin starters and put at the bottom of the chimney and light it.  I've never used one but I think they burn completely into nothing.
5/26/09 8:04 AM
Kevin Curtis

The propane starts it fine... I just feel that a chimney doesn't hold enough charcoal.

When you guys are grilling, do you use more than one chimney's worth of charcoal?
5/26/09 3:09 PM
CR1chard
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

they sell heavy duty chimney starters that hold a ton of coals - you also could just use good ol' lighter fluid - just make sure shit is burned off before you put the food on
5/27/09 2:00 AM
Ozzimandias
60 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use a mapp torch.  works great

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.