UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> 5 Real Life Soldiers Who Make Rambo Look Like a Pu

5/27/09 11:24 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
balloon knotter
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Daredevil73 -  Think of the stuff you don't even hear about.

I'd read a story by this Russian officer who was advising the North Koreans during the Korean War.  He said they were advancing on some Amercans who were retreating, and they had to move through a narrow mountain pass.  He said a single American soldier held off this very large pursuing force all by himself, with accurate rifle fire as Koreans went into the pass.

It got so bad, they finally had to call in artillery on that one man.

The Russian guy said he always wanted to find out who that man was, but he was unable to find any record of a decoration being given even posthumously to that soldier.

sounds like the story of Tibor Rubin. Concentration camp survivor who wanted to join the US Army after being liberated from nazi camp. Volunteered for combat duty in korea despite being exempt. Then Single handedly held off a massive attack from NK army while his unit retreated. His commanding officer was an anti-semite who "volunteered" Rubin for suicide missions repeatedly then his Medal of Honor paperwork got "lost". Was eventually captured by NK and spent a year in a POW camp where he used his experience in the nazi camps to keep his fellow soldiers alive.

Finally got his MOH in 2005 after Defense Dept reviewed all partial commendations that were never completed.

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty: Corporal Tibor Rubin distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism during the period from July 23, 1950, to April 20, 1953, while serving as a rifleman with Company I, 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division in the Republic of Korea. While his unit was retreating to the Pusan Perimeter, Corporal Rubin was assigned to stay behind to keep open the vital Taegu-Pusan Road link used by his withdrawing unit. During the ensuing battle, overwhelming numbers of North Korean troops assaulted a hill defended solely by Corporal Rubin. He inflicted a staggering number of casualties on the attacking force during his personal 24-hour battle, single-handedly slowing the enemy advance and allowing the 8th Cavalry Regiment to complete its withdrawal successfully. Following the breakout from the Pusan Perimeter, the 8th Cavalry Regiment proceeded northward and advanced into North Korea. During the advance, he helped capture several hundred North Korean soldiers. On October 30, 1950, Chinese forces attacked his unit at Unsan, North Korea, during a massive nighttime assault. That night and throughout the next day, he manned a .30 caliber machine gun at the south end of the unit's line after three previous gunners became casualties. He continued to man his machine gun until his ammunition was exhausted. His determined stand slowed the pace of the enemy advance in his sector, permitting the remnants of his unit to retreat southward. As the battle raged, Corporal Rubin was severely wounded and captured by the Chinese. Choosing to remain in the prison camp despite offers from the Chinese to return him to his native Hungary, Corporal Rubin disregarded his own personal safety and immediately began sneaking out of the camp at night in search of food for his comrades. Breaking into enemy food storehouses and gardens, he risked certain torture or death if caught. Corporal Rubin provided not only food to the starving Soldiers, but also desperately needed medical care and moral support for the sick and wounded of the POW camp. His brave, selfless efforts were directly attributed to saving the lives of as many as forty of his fellow prisoners.
5/27/09 11:27 AM
MachetePhil
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt....mythrds
5/27/09 11:29 AM
Fake Pie
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UCPugilist - 
Fake Pie - "I guess Audie showed the Marines what a bunch of idiots they are."

Chesty Puller has something to say about that.

But Murphy was the most bad ass probably ever.

I agree with fake pie.

I guess I should add that if his point was just that the Marines turned Murphy down, then it is probably a good point. I didn't take it that way at first.
5/27/09 11:33 AM
Fake Pie
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

" It's the irony of him doing all that in the Army with the huge Marine/Army rivalry. "

That is how I thought he meant it at first.
5/27/09 11:41 AM
PatK
212 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not on the list, but over the weekend, my g/f's best friend's dad was telling me about fighting in the Battle of the Bulge.

He's 90. Still got metal in him from the war.

That's badass
5/27/09 11:47 AM
Rhymenoceros
224 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I like George Wahlen. Served in all four branches of the military, retired an Army Major, and won the Medal of Honor as a Navyman (fighting with the Marines) on Iwo Jima. Basically, he ran through heavy mortar and machine gun fire to save his fellow soldiers who had been shot to pieces. When he couldn't run because he had been shot, too, he walked. He refused evacuation over and over again, and when they shot him so much he couldn't walk, he crawled to save people. He even crawled through heavy fire to rescue casualties from platoons a ways away from his own.
5/27/09 12:03 PM
The Double Deuce
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

tysonlc - Audie was a stud, they played "To Hell and Back" all weekend. A little contrived, but the book was amazing.

For the Nazi's, Otto Skorsenski was a pretty bad motherfucker.

could n to find anything on this cat, can you ellaborate? Are you spelling his name right? Nothing came up on google.
5/27/09 12:07 PM
jacktripper

im gonna roll back the clock a bit and go with Jean Parisot de la Valette

more a leader than a soldier but he was running around in his suit of armor at 70 spearing turks during the siege of malta
5/27/09 12:09 PM
jacktripper

skorzeny i think he means

hard to get the real story on him... i suspect he was a major gangster after ww2
5/27/09 12:16 PM
Rali
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The little guys always end up being the real badasses.
5/27/09 12:17 PM
The Double Deuce

Edited: 05/27/09 12:16 PM
wow these stories are truly unreal. I am still disapointed Carlos Hathcock did not make the list.

That dude with the Claymore was fucking nuts. Mad at the Americans because the war ended too soon.
5/27/09 12:18 PM
IBI
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/27/09 12:19 PM
I read a few books on Skorzeny some years ago. Not sure how accurate any of them are, but here are links in case anyone wants to look into him:

Charles Foley, Commando Extraordinary

Charles Whiting, Skorzeny: The Most Dangerous Man In Europe

Otto Skorzeny, Skorzeny's Special Missions: The Memoirs of 'the Most Dangerous Man in Europe'
5/27/09 12:21 PM
Daredevil73
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

UCPugilist - 
WWE_Fighter -  No Shughart and Gordon = fail.

Damn, I'm ashamed I forgot them. They are the deifinition of modern day bad ass. Talk about balls that barely fit in a chopper those guys are heros.

What they did was very "Audie Murphy" like.
I can't even imagine the intestinal fortitude it took for them to do what they did.  Truly amazing guys.

5/27/09 12:25 PM
Chalupa

Maybe I should have put it this way for those of you with ultra-thin skins:

"Audie Murphy demonstrated that the Marines (the article is wrong, the Air Force didn't exist until after WW2 anyway) erred when judging him by physical stature alone.

He demonstrated that he was more than courageous and capable as a fighting man."

Unbunch your panties.
5/27/09 12:32 PM
Chalupa

"The Air Force was formed in Sept 1947"

Yes, and WW2 ended in 1945. And I pointed out that the Air Force wasn't formed until after WW2.

What's your point? Or are you just being redundant?
5/27/09 12:33 PM
jacktripper

WWE_Fighter -  No Shughart and Gordon = fail.

good point

and id say in a way they went beyond what murphy did
5/27/09 12:34 PM
Fake Pie

Fair enough Chalupa. I agree the article is wrong about the Air Force bit. Maybe they meant the Army Air Corps? I saw some reference that he was also rejected by the Army paratroopers.
5/27/09 12:36 PM
Mako_
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

great post.
5/27/09 12:38 PM
Chalupa

I'll bet they meant the paratroopers. For the record, I've read about Audie Murphy before and while the Marines rejected him because of their height requirements, I don't think recall any record of the Marines actually laughing at him.

Also, he was 15 when he first tried to enlist, so I'm sure that played some sort of role.

But I would bet the Marines would have been proud to have claimed him as one of their own.
5/27/09 12:45 PM
orcus

By the way, the White Death died in 2002 at the age of 97.
5/27/09 12:50 PM
bleier
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/27/09 3:02 PM
I'll ttt for Otto Skorzeny. Bad ass.
5/27/09 1:21 PM
El Maquina

awesome thread
5/27/09 1:37 PM
Moonshine

Larry Thorne is pretty interesting to......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauri_T%C3%B6rni
5/27/09 1:42 PM
Chalupa

UCPugilist - 
Chalupa - "The Air Force was formed in Sept 1947"

Yes, and WW2 ended in 1945. And I pointed out that the Air Force wasn't formed until after WW2.

What's your point? Or are you just being redundant?

Just watching you flip out over me backing up your point.

I'M NOT FLIPPING OUT I'M GOING TO GO BREAK SOMETHING AND EAT AN ALUMINUM CAN
5/27/09 2:07 PM
Rightious K
11 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh look a silly brit with a sword....AAAHHHH!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.