UnderGround Forums

TattooGround >> Diabetic tattoo

5/28/09 9:42 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Seul
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey folks, I am a type one diabetic.

At the advice of my doctor, I've been looking into getting a medic-alert emblem tattoo on my chest with "diabetic" near it; I had a few questions, I was wondering if any of you could help me out.

Have any of you put ink on a diabetic before (or happen to be diabetic and had ink done)? If so, do you have any advice?

I have my doctor's go ahead to get it done, but do any of you have suggestions about keeping it clean and making sure the skin heals well?

Also, is there a sure way to check the cleanliness of local shops? How much do you usually tip?

I appreciate anything you guys can offer.
5/28/09 9:45 PM
Seul
20 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I forgot to ask about starting up grappling/kickboxing again; how long is prudent to wait before picking it back up?
5/30/09 12:59 AM
Ford10
58 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I don't know about diabetics getting tattoos but if your doctor says it's ok then it should be.

After you get it keep the bandage on it for two hours, at least. Once you take the bandage off wash it with mild soap and water. After that put lotion on every couple of hours. Don't scratch or pick at it. You can shower normally but no pools, lakes, rives or anything like that. Other then that it should heal fine on it's own without fussing over it too much.

As far as shops most places you go you can get a feel for the cleanliness of the shopping just by walking in and looking around, but don't be afraid to ask about what they do to prevent infections and if they use new sterile needles.

I would wait as least two weeks before training, otherwise just go by how it feels.
5/31/09 10:36 PM
BackStep
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

buy the bracelet, the chance of an EMT or Paramedic looking for a tattoo on your chest is slim to none. If I do see the tat it will be most likely after I cut your shirt off.
6/2/09 4:41 PM
Seul

I appreciate all the replies, this seems like a controversial topic.

I've been asking around, a number of local diabetics have gotten tattoos without any problems.

My Doc brought it up because I'm young and sometimes forget to wear my medic alert necklace; if the idea of a tattoo bothered me, I wouldn't actually consider it, but I wouldn't really mind that much. One of her other patients got stuck with a DUI from getting into a single-car accident due to an unforeseen Low blood sugar (he didn't have his bracelet on and the paramedics didn't recognize his insulin pump), so she told me that if I ever forgot the necklace to consider a tattoo.

"buy the bracelet, the chance of an EMT or Paramedic looking for a tattoo on your chest is slim to none. If I do see the tat it will be most likely after I cut your shirt off. "

I was concerned about this, if I decide to go ahead I'll probably get a bright red star around it to make sure it's absurdly noticeable if my shirt is ever removed (which I know could be a little awkward at the beach, but I don't care about that a great deal). Hypothetically, do you think a wrist tattoo would be more noticeable? I had thought that if the didn't see a bracelet (and thus were not inclined to look at my wrist), a prominent and brightly-colored chest tattoo would be more likely to be noticed during paramedic-type emergency evaluation.

"If this is the only tattoo you have and don't plan on getting more then the med-alert symbol would be okay. "

I don't plan on getting any ink besides this (though I love tattoos), and if I ever think about it I'll be sure to think about that. Thank you for mentioning it.

I'm leaning towards getting it, but I'm going to wait for a little while to make sure I still think it's a good idea. I'll bump the thread and let you guys know how things turn out for me one way or the other.
6/2/09 9:02 PM
BackStep

Seul,

My opinion is based on working as a firefighter/emt.

My fd is a first responder emt service ( we pretty much beat the ambulance to calls we go on). If you "passout" we are gonna put you on O2, get vitals and get any info we can from bystanders prior to the paramedics getting there. For the most part I'm not going to cut your shirt, the medic will do a finger prick soon after they arrive.

I don't think that tattoo ( on the chest) will do much good, the wrist would be better IMHO. But again unless it really stands out I doubt I will notice it.
6/19/09 3:23 PM
Slim J

I am also a type one diabetic and a few months ago I got a medical symbol tattooed on my arm. I didnt have any serious problems healing, but I did start to get little red bumps on my arm. My doctor said it was a mixture of dry skin and irritated pores, and the bumps went away in a few days after taking antibiotics. Like i said before the diabetes didnt play a factor in the healing and make sure you eat before you go because you dont want to drop while getting your ink done. Hope this helps.
12/15/09 3:45 AM
PembrokePinesVillain

i sure hope that if the day ever comes that the medics actually see it. its not very often they cut peoples shirts off, and if they do its because they are in a major hurry. i think its a good idea but i do feel that 9 times outta 10 no one is going to notice. unless you got "diabetic" blasted across your chest or something
1/31/10 12:41 PM
mikehotel
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a Firefighter Paramedic, if you want EMS to notice your Tattoo, you need to get it on your forearm, hand, or someplace real viable, or like the back of both both hands or the inside of both elbows, were we would put a IV. We always check the blood glucose of some one who is altered or unresponsive, so the practicality is kinda limited for EMS...it might help so people call EMS instead of thinking you are just a drunk/druggie.
1/31/10 10:14 PM
Seul

^^^I think you guys are "supposed" to, but (from other diabetic's experience) it doesn't always go down like that. Some of my people (we diabetics are a proud people) have gotten screwed over because of cops/emts assuming they're drunks.

One girl almost got a drug charge because a cop saw her drawing up a syringe in her car; she had her medic alert bracelet with her, in fact, but the cop told her "Anyone can where a bracelet, ma'am." It was written up in a diabetes magazine as a cautionary tale warning us against the dangers of associating with muggles (non-diabetics).

I still havent' made up my mind. I appreciate all the advice, though, thanks.
2/1/10 3:41 AM
PembrokePinesVillain

i say get a bright yellow bracelet kinda like this one
https://www.roadid.com/
and just have DIABETIC written on it, plus your name and an emergency phone number and stuff

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.