UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Since we're talking Pizza......

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

5/30/09 1:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Pito Chueco
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have been kinda hooked on grilling pizzas on my gas grill. I sometimes make my own dough, but when lazy just use the package stuff....you just mix warm water and form it into shape.

Last night I grilled some mahi I had. Then sliced some red onions, and threw on top of the pizza and grilled it. Man, that was some good stuff.
5/31/09 1:16 AM
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think there are a lot of food vehicles that are underutilized and pizza is one of them.  Tacos and wraps are a couple others.  People tend to have these preconceptions of what they should be, but they cloud what they could be.

Classical recipes exist for a reason.  Learn them and love them.  But, it's like the old saying in music theory goes: Learn the rules, then throw them out the window. 
5/31/09 11:35 AM
Pito Chueco
135 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well said.
6/1/09 2:09 PM
goku
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ive been thinking of grilling pizzas...do you pregrill the dough before you add toppings?
6/2/09 7:19 AM
Pito Chueco

I grill one side, flip then add toppings to the grilled side. Brush the crust with lots of olive oil to prevent sticking.
6/2/09 10:15 AM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This is something I need to try.

"I grill one side, flip then add toppings to the grilled side. Brush the crust with lots of olive oil to prevent sticking."

That makes sense... thanks.
6/3/09 7:01 PM
Pito Chueco

For the first few times, just use the mix stuff that comes in a package (betty crocker and some others). Once you get the process down, make your own.

Dont worry about the shape, it adds character if you have a hole or two in the pizza and it is shaped irregular.
6/13/09 8:09 PM
Kevin Curtis
46 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I made pizza tonight on the grill.

I used a dough recipe from the Artisan Bread in Five Minutes book...

I made a white pizza... browned one side of dough, flipped and brushed a mixture of olive oil, fresh garlic paste, and italian herbs, and added mozarella, pepperoni... cooked until bottom browned.

For the second pizza... browned one side of dough, flipped and brushed with pizza sauce, and added mozarella, red pepper, pepperoni, and cajun spice... cooked until bottom browned.

Not the most beautiful pies... but very tasty!
6/14/09 12:23 PM
Pito Chueco

Awesome. I kinda like they way the look, unique looking not just a regular round pie. Sometimes I put some cornmeal on after brushing with oil. Gives it some extra crunch and texture.
6/14/09 1:13 PM
Kevin Curtis

I got a little cornmeal on the dough, due to dusting the pizza peel. On the down side, some of the meal was burning on my stone by the time the second pizza was done. I think I need to dust off any residue between pies?

I want to try some flatbreads on the grill next.
6/14/09 8:33 PM
Pito Chueco

Did you use a pizza stone? I just throw it right on the grill
6/14/09 9:13 PM
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I fully cook the dough on a gas grill beforehand at around 450-500, just a couple minutes per side.  I usually do 6-8 of them at once, then freeze the ones I don't want to use right away.

I finish it off on a stone over a charcoal fire at about 750 degrees.  It only takes a few minutes at that temp, which is part of the reason that I have to fully cook the dough separately.  The other reason is that making pizza dough is sort of a pain in the ass, so it's easier to do a big batch at once. 

I also never use cornmeal.  You don't really need it when the dough is cooked.
6/14/09 9:37 PM
Pito Chueco

Hmmm, thats a good idea to just make the crusts and freeze, then finish on a stone. I prefer the semi charred crust and crunch of a bit of cornmeal though. Good advice Alpo
6/17/09 10:40 PM
Mullet @ Heart
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Cooking the dough first? I've done that a few times. Especially with thicker crusts.

I've never known a pizza restaurant to do that. What is every pizza restaurant in the world doing that we are not?
6/23/09 11:12 PM
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I did one on the weber charcoal grill last week.

Frozen dough, unfortunately.

handmade pizza sauce - Plum tomatoes, basil, greek + italian oregano, garlic and shallots.

Iberico ham - cooked crisp

baby portabellas

fresh mozz

goat cheese

fresh shallots

Manchego/asiago/granda padano/parm/pecorino

Cooked one side on the grill, added the toppings and finished the rest

Mark
9/5/09 1:57 PM
Buddhadev
23 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

9/5/09 4:54 PM
Kevin Curtis

Damn... makes me want to throw some pizza on the grill!

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.