UnderGround Forums

TMA UnderGround >> "American Shaolin" by Matthew Polly

6/1/09 11:12 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ogami Itto
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dudes, this is a great book, about an American who goes to Shaolin in the 1990s to train kung fu. It's not what he expects, of course - part monastery, part hard core training camp, part tourist trap, part third world village, part Communist propaganda center. But it really gets into the practical day to day of training kung fu and san shou in the land of its birth.

Long as we're throwing out book titles, I would also suggest Mark Salzman's "Iron and Silk," which came out in the 80s and was about teaching English and training kung fu in China, Salzman's "Lost in Place," which was about growing up in the 70s and training in these arts, and Jay McInerney's "Ransom," which is about training karate as an expat in 1980s Japan.
6/3/09 8:30 AM
RobbieH
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I watched a movie called American Shaolin..loved it as a Kid in the 80's/early 90's.
6/3/09 9:43 AM
Ogami Itto
223 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I know it sounds like a bad Michael Dudikoff movie, don't it?
10/25/09 1:59 AM
karasu
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

both books are great reads.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.